Razor GD-23 setup

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by pattonmaster, Oct 2, 2013.

1. pattonmaster

So I am trying to find out what is the "better" setup for the Razor. The two that I can't pick from is either the silencer or the compensator. The rest is pretty easy foward grip, high velocity ammo, and 2x reflex or 3.4x scope (maybe 4x?) What do my fellow soldiers in arms think?
  2. Iridar51

Don't use compensator and anything stronger than 2x.
    Compensator makes you detectable on the minimap from twice as far (80m vs 40m) and hinders your hip fire, while not doing anything you can't do with your mouse. The cost is too high.

Same with 3.4x-4x scopes, they make medium range shooting very hard. If you use compensator and 3.4x+ scopes, you will become arguable better at long range, but demolish short to medium range, the only ranges LA is really any good at.

Silencer would sit very nicely on Razor thanks to high bullet velocity, but you'd be fine just leaving the barrel slot empty as well.
  3. CanadianAttackBeaver

And I would recommend pretty much the exact opposite! 4x, compensator, forward grip and HVA. This gun is, by far,
    the best long range carbine the NC have.

If ranges are within 20-70 metres, I'll swap the compensator for a suppressor and put on a 2x reticle.

I think Iridar and I are illustrating that this gun is flexible and will suit your needs depending on what you want to do with it and how good you are at different ranges. I emphatically disgree that LA is only good at short to medium ranges, but that is another subject.
    • Up x 2
  4. Demyer

For LA: laser, x2 reflex
    For engie: comp, grip, x2 reflex or x3.4 scope
  5. Iridar51

Perhaps, I'm wrong here, and NC perspective offers something different, but judging from my T5 AMC experiences - I've tried this gun with different set-ups, and I've been successful the most without the compensator and with 2x scope.
    Avoiding compensator gives it a reasonable hip-fire for close engagements, when you get a drop on someone or in panic CQC moments.
    Hip fire has many advantages over ADS at close ranges, and having a few additional meters to this effective hip fire range is very important to LA unless you specifically work on being far from the fight, which is arguably justified.

The reason I say LA is good up to medium range is because our carbines' damage drops two to three tiers, while ARs and LMGs drop one to two tiers. You still can kill people at longer ranges, it's just that other classes would be more effective at it.

And with 2x scope you can abuse the gun's accuracy to score multiple headshots at 15 to 25 meters, a very important range too. 3.4x-4x scopes narrow your vision and the screen even more with scope graphics, and for what? Seeing a target a little closer.
    Hey, whatever floats your boat, just sharing experiences.
  6. LownWolfe

I use a silencer and a 3.4x scope, high velocity ammo and a laser. laser so I can hipfire and land shots close range, HV ammo and a 3.4 for marksman shots at distance. Silencer so i can be hidden.
    I don't like the compensator since it makes you a big target on the mini map for not much of benefit. Same thing goes for the foregrip. I prefer 2x scopes for closer range weapons but with the razor, if I'm that close, I'd be using a smg
  7. Bersigil

The Razor is arguably our best long-range Carbine. I would outfit it with 2x reflex (IRNV in certain conditions), foregrip and Compensator.
    This setup maximises its strengths but still keeps it versatile: you are a fearsome rooftop shooter but if you are surprised in cqc, you still might stand a chance.
  8. Iridar51

Just wanted to reconfirm. Yep, it's definitely suppressor, grip, HVA and 2x. Though this might not be true for razor, but I've the impression that the guns are mirrored quite well. [IMG]
    Edit: thought of another argument for 2x. If enemy is at long range, and you have 2x and no compensator (arguably worse at range then compensator and 4x), then at worst, you won't kill your enemy. Because the range separates you, you can safely break the engagement and escape to find another target.
    But if the enemy engages you at close range, and you have 4x + compensator, you will most likely die, because it's harder to escape at close range, and you can't engage the enemy well, because 4x obstructs your vision, and even the slight ADAD causes the enemy to disappear from the crosshair, and compensator increases your hip-fire, so you're screwed there too.

Maybe you won't kill some enemies that far away, but you won't die at close range either.
  9. Grimtou

I would be of the position that carbines are not the weapons to use at medium-long range due to the damage drop off inherent to the class. I run the GD-23 with laser sight and either 1x or 2x.

I'm weird and I use the GD-23 at short-medium range (right outside shotgun range). The RPM isn't as good as other carbines, but let's face it, the bulk of winning an engagement in this game is not getting shot in the first place (positioning). I really use it for the fast reload.
  10. pattonmaster

Man you've got a great kill strike there i'm pretty far from that good :) I think that I will run 2x zoom, silencer, high velocity ammo, and a forward grip. Thanks for all your help. ( its too bad you're on Ceres otherwise I might even get the drop on you some time ;)
  11. Iridar51

I'm not that good, I've only found that I can have such killstreaks when I started using T5 AMC with this setup. Out gunning and out-aiming any opponent at any range thanks to insane weapon accuracy, except point-blank, where I try my best to use the knife to offset low DPS. It really is hilarious, killing heavies spraying with their LMG from 50m with a carbine.

The only time I'm really screwed is when I run into the room face to face with enemy or two at 5 to 7m - too far to hip fire and knife, close enough to get ripped to shreds because of low DPS.
  12. lilleAllan

On my LA I run the GD-23 with iron sights, laser and HVA.

Razor has biased recoil which is extremely managable with irons, even with HVA. Plus it looks cooler.
    Laser makes the hipfire very decent.

Try it out.
  13. CanadianAttackBeaver

Even with the compensator, hip firing in CQC isn't difficult with a 30 round magazinze and speedy reload. I also use my pistol a lot for backup when my carbine empties.

As for other classes being more effective at killing at range, I couldn't care less. I'm playing LA because I like the maneuverability, and this maneuverability often lets me get to places where I get clean shots at enemies at ranges over 70 metres. Saying LMG's and AR's are better at range because their drop off is less is a useless and irrelevant statement given LA don't have access to those weapons. By that logic the only truly effective guns at longer ranges are sniper rifles; this clearly isn't the case.

You and I have vastly different experiences if using a scope and narrowing your vision for a couple seconds drastically impacts your ability to play. I don't find the 2x reticle and the 4x trueshot (I think that's the one I'm using; square with a full cross-hair visible) have a drastically different impact on my ability to see what's going on, seeing as I use both in spurts.

I agree though, whatever floats your boat. These weapons are clearly flexible so people can find a setup that works for them.
  14. CanadianAttackBeaver

For people looking for info on the different barrel attachments, here's a good video by Wrel:
  15. CanadianAttackBeaver

The 4x Trueshot (I think that's the one) isn't large and doesn't obstruct the view too badly. Losing sight of an enemy, even up close, due to the sight obstructing my vision is rare.

That said, I will humbly reconsider my stance on the compensator with the Razor. I think the flash suppressor will be a superior option at range to minimize detection range, and of course the suppressor in close.
  16. Iridar51

High magnification scopes not only obstruct vision, even if slightly, they also narrow your field of vision. You may not see threats coming from the sides, and it's easy to lose track of the target if he sidesteps in close quarters.

However, I too do reconsider my stance. If someone uses high magnification scope and zooms in only to kill the target, and then zooms out, he can still be aware of his surroundings, and vision obstruction/recoil compensation/losing the target matters can all be compensated by skill and habit. So I guess it's not "2x reflex tops for everyone!11" in my books. Let's leave it to personal preference, as it should.
  17. pattonmaster

I've got a theory on the compensator. When using the compensator it make you visible up to 80m instead of 40m so if a enemy is 80m away from me by the time he gets close I should be long gone. Also on a big battel I don't think that an enemy will run 50m+ to try to get me when there are other players closer. So am I right or is this totally not how it works?
  18. Iridar51

To some degree. You will still alert enemies to your presence, they will know that someone was in that general direction.
    Maybe someone will just look at your direction and spot you, and then you're truly screwed.

Besides, why would there be allies between you and enemies? Are you a sniper or a medic to hide behind your teammates?
  19. pattonmaster

Well I was thinking about a big battel where wen your in a firefight you don't really ok at your mini map? But what would you equip? I was positive on the silencer until I saw the vid above will the damage decrease make a big difference? thats what I worry about.
  20. Iridar51

Good players constantly check minimap.

Damage decrease is certainly noticeable until you start shooting at targets >75m away, then you would deal the minimum damage even without suppressor.

It's perfectly fine to leave the slot blank. Compensator may be necessary for weapons with strong vertical kick, like Gauss SAW or ACX-11, but Razor has nice and controllable recoil by default.