[Guide] Rate of Fire vs Framerate

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Iridar51, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Iridar51

>>> Posted at Iridar.net <<<

Decided to do my own round of tests, primarily to rule out Input Lag as the primary cause. TL;DR at the end of the article. Pretty much confirm tests done by other guys: limiting FPS through UserOptions.ini solves the issue even at low FPS.
    • Up x 6
  2. csvfr

So setting MaximumFPS in UserOptions.ini to 45 (or something like that) actually decreases your TTK, in other words increases your killing power and 1 on 1 survivability.
  3. Iridar51

Not to 45 specifically, that number will vary depending on your FPS. The cap should be a couple of frames lower than your minimum FPS in big battles.

Also, using Smoothing=1 with SmoothingMaxFramerate=45 instead of MaximumFPS might be a better solution.
  4. csvfr

My rig can lag visibly sometimes in the largest battles and/or Hossin, so setting MaximumFPS=20 would perhaps create lag at all times wouldn't it? If I set it to 45, would it still help when the framerate drops, as compared to not setting it at all?
  5. Iridar51

Don't confuse Input Lag, framerate drops and Rate of Fire issues, they are all different things.

If you have low framerate due to low CPU frequency, you will have Rate of Fire issues and you can't do anything about it.

If you become GPU bound (GPU usage maxes out at 99%+), you will have Rate of Fire issues and you can eliminate them by capping FPS.

Input Lag is what happens when you become GPU Bound. To a lesser degree, Input Lag happens whenever you cap FPS by any method. The lower the FPS cap, the higher the Input Lag. Input Lag will also vary depending on how you cap your FPS. It goes: GPU Bound > VSync > MaximumFPS / Smoothing > RTSS.

Using RTSS does not solve Rate of Fire issues, so Smoothing is your next best bet.

If your PC cannot sustain high framerate, you will have to inevitably deal with either Input Lag or RoF issues.

If you're hovering around 40 FPS, I'm not even sure what's worse. I guess you'll just have to experiment and see what feels better to you.
    • Up x 1
  6. csvfr

Yeah I'm gonna cap it at 45.

Large battles -> CPU-bound
    Hossin -> GPU-bound

Lowering the in-game Render Quality slider on Hossin alleviates input lag. On large battles FPS hovers, decreasing when outside / increasing when inside, Render Quality having no effect. So are you saying capping the FPS does not help when CPU bound?
  7. Iridar51

To be 100% specific, I did not try capping FPS during my CPU-bound tests. However, the RoF issue only occur when you're CPU bound specifically by frequency. Just check the results of my tests. As long as your CPU is running at ~2500 MHz frequency, I would expect the weapon to fire only a few percent slower than its intended RoF.