Randomly Low Frame Rate

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Puppy, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Puppy

Is there any set way to get better frames with my set up? I've tried changing every setting but nothing seems to change the fps more then about 5 frames. Am I missing something? I've been playing since beta and stuff liek this happens on and off. Sometimes big battles, sometimes not. Sometimes after playing a long time, sometimes right when I get on. Reloading it doesn't work.
  2. BlackDove

Tell us what your actual framerate is. You have a plenty powerful computer to run it.

There is a MASSIVE lag spike when you first log in.

Also, since a few game updates ago, a lot of people have been getting terrible FPS with powerful computers.
  3. Waffenessess

I've been having the same issue. Although lately I've been having pretty steady frames.

Sometimes it would drop from 50 or 60 down to 10 or 15 FPS.

In the most basic terms,I have an i7 with a GTX 670 FTW. Which means this should not be happening.
  4. Primarkka

FYI i7 is a series of processors which doesn't mean anything else than that your CPU is hyper-threading. You're using a stock-clocked 2600k, which is not very optimal usage for the Sandy Bridge.
    Idea: Have you tried using default textures, such as high or so? The texture streaming is really badly done in this engine. The pipeline is optimized for the settings you find in-game, so don't modify the settings from the .ini if you want to be sure it's not a case of unsupported modifying.
    One more point: Your FPS varies with the server performance. You may notice a far higher FPS with a lower population server, no matter if your client renders the population or not.
    That's why most people after game updates notice a far higher FPS in general, than after an extended server up time.
  5. Puppy

My actual frames go from 120 to 20. Very random what days it decides to do what.

I try not to change .ini files. Also would this effect my frames if I weren't moving? Would textures be changing much?
  6. Primarkka

They should not, as the textures are loaded V-RAM. As you span your view around, your FPS should have slight dips. If you get heavy dips while spanning your view, it indicates towards RAM and HDD/ SSD bottleneck.
  7. Puppy

It depends on which direction I'm looking for what frames I get.
  8. Primarkka

Yeah, I was talking about spanning the view. The drop you experience as you look at a certain direction is caused by an inefficient pipeline.
  9. Puppy

I'm not into tech to much. I'm guessing there is no fix for my frames then?
  10. BlackDove

Your computer doesn't run it terribly all the time right? You have the same GPU and more powerful CPU than I do, and when it actually works, the game runs ok in terms of FPS.

However, the game is glitchy, buggy, and crashes a lot now. The GU's have broken tons of stuff. The other night I was crashing to desktop every few minutes for no apparent reason, got weird lag in certain map areas, then last night it was fine.

I wouldn't worry about your computer or upgrading. This game seems to have an issue overheating GPU's even with Vsync on when you look at the map screen or various other screens with a 2D background. Also, certain map areas make the GPU temp spike like crazy(I have my fan curve set to keep the GPU below 60C).

You should really monitor your GPU temperatures using whatever program your card manufacturer has. I have a Gigabyte card and OC Guru 2 is always running, monitoring temps and voltages. This is the only game that does this as well.
  11. AstroCat

Same issues here.
  12. Primarkka

No, there is not. You just have to wait and see.
  13. Waffenessess

If you have an NVIDIA EVGA card, EVGA PrecisionX work wonders for monitoring temps and things like that.
    It helps my 670 stay cool during gameplay and there is a noticeable decrease in frames when I forget to turn it on.
  14. Oulaa

Im sporting an Intel i7 920, 8gb ram and an Nvidia Geforce GTX 570, and can confirm that i'm having the same issue.

Been playing PS pretty much since launch, never had an FPS issue, took break of about month, now im seeing 100+ fps with sudden random spikes down to 15. This is with CPU as the bottleneck according to the ingame FPS gauge (alt+f).

This happends regardless of settings ingame, tried everything from next to nothing in visibility w. low settings to the highest possible, no effect. (increases the average fps ofc, but the spikes still appear..)

As i've spent the vast majority of my gametime in the air either in an ESF or a Lib, this is a gamebreaker for me, and is seriously making me consider canceling my membership. dogfighthing with 15 fps is a hopeless endevour. (more often than not i crash into a mountainside trying to turn...)