Quick Question / Quick Answers: Why should I go back and play Planetside 2 once again?(Connery)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SgtBeta, May 24, 2018.

1. SgtBeta

TL;DR Version
    Simple question: Why should I go back and play Planetside 2 once again?
    Tbh, I really want to come back, but I dunno if I will regret it like the other times I did.
    (Connnery server-related answers only please, I could care less for the other servers(no offense intended))
    -------
    Longer Version
    My problem, for those who actually want to know/understand, with this game is stagnation."Same sh**, different day" like some people say.
    I played this game since it was released and I got a lot of history with this game, I really don't mind VS being OP, TR overpoping every time or NC always being the "Hard Mode"(brain-dead players) of the game (and I'm not here to debate these topics right now).I don't mind the **** talk on the mics, I don't mind that we have the same weapons for years now and only a few being added once or twice each year(even if selling skins for the weapons would be cool).
    My problem with the game is that it ~feels~ the same everytime since I tried to play it since the middle 2016.I unninstalled the game multiple times before that time, and for multiple reasons since 2014 I learned a lot of in-game and meta stuff and to be honest 3 out of 8 uninstalls was ragequitting, some with good reasons, some with no reason at all but I still love the game, the ambience, the setting, the stuff people can do, the thrill we get on it once in a while but I'm tired of the same thing happening in a loop(bad things or repetetive stuff).
    So I want to know your opinion on the matter, should I come back?Did they added new stuff?Is the playerbase the same thing from years back(85% brain-dead)?Are people actually using new tactics?Are outfits doing stuff together?Are people being people instead of "sheeple"?Are new gameplay-inovative things being used/implemented?Do the guns have customizable skins now?(not camos, f**k camos)Players do still play quiet instead of actually working together most of the time?Are those air-bases implemented already or that was a hoax?
    Let me know what you think.I'm 90% NC player at heart but I do like to play the other factions as well and when I noticed this pattern(repetition/stagnation) happening in all factions I quitted for good, if the gameplay is better in any other faction I would play mainly on that one.
    And if you are going to say to me "Go look it up what's new" I won't, first because I do not have the time nor patience and second I value more people's opinions and point of view than some notes someone wrote to promote the game.

I would love to see this game prosper, to grow, to become something unique because I want to more people to have a history with this game like I had, but I fear what you will all say.I fear to discover nothing has changed, lack of new content, content being added is unbalanced and game-killing and stuff related that I know you know what I mean.

Thank you for your time.

--------
  2. OgreMarkX

They added some things, some new weapons, some of which are faction specific and they added the ASP system which is meant to offer some play diversity for longtime players. It's pretty well done in my opinion given all the risks of OP game features.

Plus the game is fun. I still play Team Fortress 2Fort4 capture the flag (since 1998) and ya...it's fun. A good thing over and over isn't so bad.

I think it's worth it. I've paid for many SOE/DBG accts since 1999. Worth the money. Sometimes I get a bit frustrated though...when DBG fails to follow thru (Everquest Next left a HUGE stain on their reputation....that was outright fraud for those who paid into it via that abomination Landmark).
    • Up x 1
  3. Campagne

In my opinion the best thing PS2 has going for it is the unparalleled scale of combat and the size of the dynamic environments.

No other game to the best of my knowledge has both the huge maps and huge player presence in a team-deathmatch style of gameplay.
    • Up x 3
  4. Prudentia

NC is now the overpopped faction. you know, like always.
  5. SgtBeta

Thank you for your reply OgreMarkX, I'll look into this new system later, and yeah I agree with you about having fun with something fun and repetitive, but as I said my problem is not just that with this game.When I get my internet back at home I think I'll give it another shot then.

And Campagne, I do agree with ya.I don't want perfection or anything but even with this BIG "pro" with the game it has some flaws that I just can't stand anymore, that's why I asked this, to see if the good pros now-a-days can counter these "cons".

I'm a Connery player buddy, check your facts(no offense).I played this game for years and years, so I can safely say:No, it has never been the case, Connery NC had the most brain-dead playerbase and multiple times people often logged out in alerts(9 out of 10 alerts)to log in their VS account so they could easily win the alerts, and this was a constant, every time people did that, they logged out of NC/TR to overpop with VS EVERYTIME and as far as I'm concerned and as far as I knew, back in the day when I played, it is a well-known fact that,if you are a NC player, either you were REALLY good in what you do(playing, commanding or supporting) or you were another brain-dead player, there was no in-between(notice that what I'm saying was years back, if things changed I take this all back then and God bless if this actually stop happening).
    And also:Overpop a region/battle is one thing, overpoped faction is another.So I disagree with you respectfully.
  6. Prudentia

looking at connery pop graphs the pop there was always equal. no overpop for VS, sometimes overpop for TR, rarely overpop for NC. so yeah....
  7. Killuminati C

There is usually a competent and cohesive english speaking group running for each faction I believe though I doubt they're always public squads/platoons, but if you apply or ask to take part I'd be willing to bet you'd be accepted. I can make some suggestions per faction if you want.

As to whether you should reinstall is kind of up to you. They've released some weapons, added some interesting new implants, changed around some base layouts and lattice lanes, etc. Weapons still just have camo added to them though there have been a few recent additions of player made empire specific weapons that look really good and handle differently than other guns in game. Hopefully they continue this trend.

At the core though the game still pretty much adheres to the same formula. It still has mindless zergs for sure as well as occasional double teams. I still love it. It gives me endless amounts of frustration but I've spent far more time playing it than any other game. If I get bored I try a different tactic or role, if the fights are bad I log and come back later, and if I get burned out I just take a break for a week, and I've been playing since launch.
    • Up x 1
  8. DeadlyOmen

Terrible summary. Stopped there.
  9. Ares8

Only if you are going to play on Emerald. It doesn't matter if you live on the west coast, if you play on Connery you are just wasting your time and will be very frustrated in the end.
  10. SgtBeta

Prudentia, Im speaking of the time I played the game wich was years ago, if this is how it is now, this is awesome then :)

DeadlyOmen Care to explain why?
    I'll make another one for you then:
    Should I go back to the game?Because I left due to the furstration of repetitive nature of the game in everyway possible.From zergs, from tactics, from people not working together and so on, repetitiveness, thats my problem with this game.So what your opinions?

Ares8, care to explain?Because I think I know what you mean but I just need to hear it.
  11. SgtBeta

That's great and unfourtunate at the same time imo, because these should be public, make look like the game is dead or people are anti-social for new/avarage players or something, but sure I would love to, but not right now, I'm dealing with some RL stuff and I don't have internet on my house atm, so when I get it all sorted out I'll speak with ya, thanks mate. :)
  12. frozen north

Personally, I have just started to take a break myself. I was already getting close to burnt out, and that has long been my problem with this game.

Every fight in this game remains nearly identical to the previous one. If some bases were built with different objective structures ( eg: a base built purely around hacking generators/ consoles that don't require infiltrators, or basically just something different) and if bases had better design variety ( maybe have one or two linked together bases be completely underground, or have one that's located atop a set of massive bridges, or at the very least, reduce the number of facilities with the same layout) then I likely would not have this issue, or at least I would not have it as heavily. But unfortunately, these are not the case.

I also do not like how grind heavy the game often feels. I kinda promised myself to never again give money to this game after I lost my old account to the day break transfer, and since then I have realized how atrocious the grind can actually be for free players.

I do get that this game has a fair bit going for it, but the often heavy grind and repetitive fights mean that I struggle to continually enjoy this game.

In short, you are completely justified in debating about coming back, and if you seek to wait until something major comes to shake things up, I fully agree with that idea.
  13. dreyone

Connery has been suffering from a massive server latency problem for the past 2 months. This has rendered the game completely unplayable. In addition, a number of very bad changes have been made to equipment in the game that have fundamentally ruined the gameplay, even without the server latency. This, combined with the server lag makes Connery absolutely unplayable
    • Up x 1
  14. adamts01

Like others have said, server performance is the biggest reason to stay away for the time being. Server latency makes the game absolutely unbearable. NC actually has some very coordinated infantry-focused public squads most days during American hours. They're public, but be prepared to be kicked if you don't follow Instructions. The game is heavily skewed in favor of infantry since the Combined Arms Initiative patch so don't bother looking for any armor squads. Harassers are pretty OP at the moment and the exception to infantryside. Hisoka runs an incredibly effective Harasser squad many days of the week, and picks whichever faction and continent has the best fights, so you can keep an eye out for them if you want to do vehicle stuff. If you do like to fly and don't mind not communicating then NC has a very zergy Chinese Reaver squad up most nights, though they don't play objectively and have very little effect on the flow of battle, they just roam around ganking any air they see. No one during American hours seems to fly a consistent air squad, though there are plenty of dedicated pilots on all factions that you might be able to group up with. Anyone who speaks English on TR late night is in a zerg, and those who speak English on NC late night don't work together. So if you're playing late night then VS is the only option for English speaking teamwork. The Koreans on VS are a coordinated wrecking ball 24/7, so you can try to sneak in to their outfit. There are still a ton of players and plenty of teamwork, you just need to calm down and put in the effort and time to meet people.