Quick Note on Optimization

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by codeForge, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Cheetoh

You're a moron for assuming I expect 250 fps.
  2. Utrooperx

The only thing I'm sure of is I expect a "playable FPS". I took a break and played FarCry4 for a few weeks and I guess I got spoiled with a steady 60 FPS/opponents that don't jerk all over the screen while doing a Texas Two-step with no inertia to exploit server interpolation/proper hit registration...you know, the stuff you expect from a quality First Person Shooter...

Then I logged into Planetside 2...where I can stare at a wall in the warpgate from 3 meters away without moving...and my FPS swings wildly from 15 to 65 FPS (with Smoothing enabled!)...where movement looks/feels like a "slideshow" that actually started to make me nauseous...

I'm not running a "toaster" either...

CPU: A10-5800K @ 4.3ghz
    GPU: Dual R9-270X w/4GB VRAM (each) set up with the AMD-provided Crossfire profile for PS2
    RAM: 32G of DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1866
    HDD: 2T Seagate @SATA 3 (6 Gbit/s)
    (Plus 64G of USB 3.0 drives set up as ReadyBoost)
    Motherboard: FM2-A85XA-G65
    Internet: Verizon FIOS 50/50 Quantum
    Monitor: LG 32" HDTV @ 1080p via HDMI

I want to know how the HECK this game says I'm GPU limited...when its using LESS then 50% of my GPU's capabilities (by the AMD System Monitor)...yet if more then 10 players are in my immediate vicinity, I drop to 10-15 FPS...still showing GPU limited?

How is it I can exit the Spawn Room...full health and shield...and just instantly die...to a single non-headshot "super bullet" (according to Real Time Stat Tracker)...fired from weapons that simply can't do that amount of damage that fast...?

Sure, the "present explanation" for this phenomena is that the server "compresses" all the damage into one single packet...wow, that's really fair...how do I sign up for this bonus ability to "insta-kill" my opponents reliably...?

Bottom line here is this game is more then 2 years old...God help me, I love it...but it has MANY glaring faults that need to be addressed before one more fluff camo or helmet is added.

That's my two-cents worth...coming from a BR100 (Connery) and a BR95 (Emerald).
  3. Toxicmix1

Bro, im sorry if it will disappoint you, but honestly, your system is not that good. Your specs are actually funny. Why you need 32gb of ram with that platform? It simply doesn't make sense. Why do you even bother having dual cards in that system? And why the hell you have a ready boost pendrive and not having an ssd?

You realize you have a freaking 32gb coupled with a crappy cpu, you will never need any flash pen drive to simulate ram.

Bro seriously, you need to get some information before you build any more rigs.
    • Up x 1
  4. chuknit

After reading some of these posts I was starting to figure my laptops specs were fine for this game and that the game slash servers just were not handling the amount of users well, but now I am back to being unsure after seeing the way high fps of some ppl. I have 3 year old HP Pavilion dv7 with Intel Core i5 dual core processors with 8gb ram and way more memory than needed along with an Intel HD graphics 3000 card as far as I can tell, and on average the game says in the lower left corner 20-25fps except when I end up in large scale battles which is when it drops to 15fps and below and has actually crashed and closed at times. So my big question is my graphics card in desperate need of an upgrade or is it server over load or both? I would appreciate tips on where to upgrade if necessary and possible since buying a new one isn't an option. I tried to includes a screen shot of my specs and got a message saying my message was too long lol
  5. chuknit

I so totally laughed in understanding of that situation as it has actually happened to me more since the 12/18 update. I originally thought it was just that I had just started playing and had no armor upgrades till after the update I literally had it happen several times where I walked up to an unsuspecting player and had to dang near empty my 100 round clip when I had it aimed directly at the back of their head to kill them. worse yet is when I spot a cloaked infiltrator who they and I are both staring eye to eye face to face with him wondering if I know he is there and when I lay it on him end up stabbed to death. machine gun first strike should beat knife every time lol
    • Up x 1
  6. Pointyguide2

Sandy bridge i5 at 2.8ghz drops to around 15 to 20 Fps in heavy fights. Mobile cpu I'm talking about. Gives better minimum frames than Sandy bridge i7 at 2.4ghz. Quad core
  7. MacMarine

Problem is not framerate i got 100-120 fps and 100mbit fiber connection ant the problem has to be hardware on servers tanks is high in the air and that is not acceptable if this not is fixed i has to end the membership when its time is out
  8. Dragam

Sounds like thats what you call "decent fps" - i personally have no problems maintaining 60 fps in even the biggest battles on full ultra.
  9. Dragam

It would be interesting to hear what servers you Guys are playing on, cause im not experiencing any of the issues you are describing... playing on colbat, and the game is completely fluid, no stuttering, lag or anything else (well aside of the occasional cheater).
    • Up x 1
  10. Cheetoh

No, it sounds like you have limited reading comprehension and just enjoy calling people names - like "moron".

Get lost troll.
  11. FitzFreedom

Look Cheetoh, i would advise you to give it up, calling people trolls and such just because they are trying to help you with advise and you are taking it badly because you know you've got something wrong is not the way to go,you should accept they're attempted help and just take a step back and calm down.

And P.S the inconsistent low FPS is random to anyone's PC even if you have an extremely high end piece of kit, Its purely the optimization in the game code,not your PC. If you don't get it,you're lucky, if you do,not so much...
  12. Doct0rTim

SOE,

Please give us an "advanced settings" tab where we can tweak every possible setting such that each person can optimize their settings for their hardware.

If this is not viable option, tell me what to type into my useroptions.ini file to free up my CPU as it is bottlenecking at 15 FPS in 1-on-1 dogfights. Before the recent patches I could get 100 FPS with the bottleneck being the GPU. So nobody tell me that my CPU just can't handle this game.

If you think that you can't give me a good solution to this performance problem. Then I suggest you re-think the way you are approaching bad performance problems that everyone (both cheap and powerful machines) is experiencing.

If the above "rant" seems rude or insulting I apologize, but this needs to be your first priority as nobody cares if my helmet looks cool if they only see it in 15 FPS.

Sincerely,

Concerned Gamer
    • Up x 1
  13. -WHeaties

I feel you, my i7-3970X seems to want to never go past 60 FPS cause of a CPU bottle neck, was getting over 100 in large fights before too.

I believe this occurred after they integrated the PS4 code.
  14. CLoneSev777

after playing for more than 4 hours and/or after exploring
    most of the map, the 3rd map, ex: indar and amerish, then i go to esamir then all hell break lose
    the game got a very huge fps drop (from 35+fps at 96+ alies n enemies battle to 20-30fps at empty warpgate), when i alt-tab the game (which take forever- more than 3 minutes) and see my task manager i see that RAM usage is at 6.5GB++ where if i only play 1 map, the ram usage is not that high and no fps drops !!!
    it happen mostly after exploring most of the 1st 2 map i do using my ESF.
    but sometimes when i play too long on 1st map, then the problem will appear about 1 or 2 hours on the 2nd map i play
    but if i only use infiltrator n go sniping at 1 battlefield for more than 2 hours no problem occured, only when i play ESF exploring most of the map or gal drop everywhere following platoon tactics on 2 map, well sometimes i play esf only on 1 map (mostly if we got indar which gives u 50% air unit) then 2nd map will have that problem.
    current specs
    FX 8370
    HD 7870
    8GB ram pc 17000 ddr3
    graphics setting at medium w/ flora turned off, 1440x900 res
    vsync at 75fps only happen for 1st map, decreasing slowly at 2nd map, flat 20-30fps at 3rd map
    os (win7 x64) and games are installed on SSD 240GB w/ 30%+ free space
    the only fix i have so far is to restart my pc !
  15. Lord_Mogul

When the game goes around 4.7-5.3 GB the fps become low.
    After a client restart (with "normal" 4.2 GB usage) it runs fine again.
  16. Rakenson

As long as we get support for AMD FX cpus, I'm happy.
    • Up x 1
  17. HustlinHam

where do i redeem the forum code?
  18. 3X073K

87 pages later ... Game looks great. Plays like a Boat in a desert but it looks fun !

( if your struggling with your I7 cpu , ur puter has a STD ) Trololol
  19. Vivicector

Let me be brief: nothing changed for good in the last year. However, previously I was able to fly my Liberator without any problem. Now its a very laggy experience, I am helpless for 5-8 seconds after entering a new territory, I have a hard time hitting ground targets with Lib's TB.

So, optimisation. Very good word. Too bad we have none.

P.S. My PC is old, but point is: I was running fine in CBT. I was fine at some period of time after the release. Then it has only gone worse.
  20. Darthmbg

This is awesome! I'm a little bit better than minimum and play on 'very low' with an acceptable frame rate. ( 15 fps lowest ) We should just admit... Planetside 2 is ahead of its time. In a half decade, anyone can run this game.

Windows 8 64bit
    Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @2.83Ghz
    6Gb RAM
    Nvidia GTX 660 (overclocked) with 2Gb RAM

According to these benchmarks https://www.cpubenchmark.net/ My processor is above an i5 760 by 0.15 units. :]