Quick Note on Optimization

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by codeForge, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Goden

How goes progress on getting this resolved?

Playing at 19fps is starting to get to me. :s
  2. PURPLNURPL

Hey I just wanna chime in and REPORT I've been getting 30~45 FPS. Good to know the team has such an aggressive attitude with optimization, that first post was pretty motivating. Faith will be kept. I'm sure in some areas it drops below 30, but that's my fair average. So, game is definitely playable for me, although I just bought a new rig with the 2011 chip. I have some settings on low (flora, shadows, lighting) not using ambient occlusion or fog shadowing. 1920X1080.

ASUS uhh SABERTOOTH X79
    CORSAIR SNIPER somethin 1600 MHZ QUAD CHANNEL ~ 16 GB
    CORSAIR SSD
    INTEL i7 3820 @ 4.2ghz
    CROSSFIRE'D ATI HD 6870's at stock clocks. Using drivers 12.2 w/ Ati tray tools. Mega boost results.
    game is super duper GJ!
  3. Sikab

you realize with that PC you should have get stable 60 FPS without any drop?...
  4. eRe4s3r

On an Phenom 2 X6 1090T and a 670GTX i get below 20 fps in large battles, which for an FPS is unplayable. I wouldn't even care much about this were it not that I tried this game specifically because recommended specs say X6 ... outside of combat it runs well enough, but if optimization was targeted at getting rid of hitches.. well what does it matter when you get less than 20 fps at any point in the game?

Hopefully in a year or so you will have optimized the game to actually run properly on the recommended specs.. and then it will be given a fair 2nd chance.. ;)
  5. H@buster

I'm sorry to say this, but it seems you are getting more out of your CPU than the rest of us.
    I, for example, have an AMD FX-8150 and monitored it closely while I was playing:
    My overall CPU load never went beyond 27%.
    And all that time, I'm in CPU limit, dipping down to 15 fps, even though I cranked the game up to ULTRA.

This might be due to the game having one huge thread limiting several other ones, and that way a CPU with a higher single-threaded performance (PII X4 vs Bulldozer) is scaling way better than others will.
    However, this also means that Quadcores with lower clocks will be used less efficiently.

But I'm pretty sure you are aware of this already, just keep this in mind when you throw in CPU load percentages.
    (And magically break up that huge thread, we all want 60 fps in huge fights.)
  6. Irathi

Actually he is getting more or less the exact same results as I did back in the beta with my Phenom II B50 (x4 @ 3.6ghz).

I've copy-pasted these numbers in a couple of threads, but I think I will do it again here to illustrate our observations back in the beta and to support CycleMcHurtz's numbers. The numbers where taken from memory and are not entirely accurate.

Quad-Core (Phenom II X4 B50) - provided by me:
    ·Core 1-2 loaded ~~ 70%
    ·Core 3-4 loaded ~~ 60%
    ·Total efficiency ~~ 65%, with 4 cores that equals (0,65x4) = 2,6 cores running at 100%

Hexa-Core (Phenom II X6 1100T) - provided by "donpost":
    ·Core 1-2 loaded ~~ 60%
    ·Core 3-4 loaded ~~ 50%
    ·Core 4-6 loaded ~~ 20%
    Total efficiency ~~ 43%, with 6 cores that equals (0,43x6) = 2,6 cores running at 100%

Octa-Core (FX-8150) - don't remember who provided but they appear to be similar to yours:
    ·Core 1-2 loaded ~~ 50%
    ·Core 3-4 loaded ~~ 50%
    ·Core 4-6 loaded ~~ 20%
    ·Core 7-8 loaded ~~ 10%
    Total efficiency ~~ 33%, with 8 cores that equals (0,33x8) = 2,6 cores running at 100%

Like you said your FX-8150 had an average of about 27% load which is not to far from the rough 33% I suggest above. As for wether the first 4 cores where runing 50% each or if they had more of a 60% / 40% load I do not remember. Point is; your cpu is giving you more or less the same effective total average load compared to CycleMcHurtz's. Which is also why everyone with low fps problems have about the same fps count.

Oh and memo for my self: - read the sticky, apparently there is a thread for optimization, who knew?!
  7. Irathi

I will send you a Christmas banana if you manage to pull that off in time for holidays!
  8. Poubelleur

My FPS still drops since the first days PS2 was realeased

Here are some details if that can help :

- Setting high or low, FPS still drop randomly from 50 FPS to 15

- Mostly happen in battles areas but also happens when I'm alone in desert.....

- I tried all tips on internet (Lowering rendering distance in game files, puting shadow and flore quality to 0) does not change anything.

- I play other games without a single lag or FPS drop at maximum settings.

My config :

Windows 7 Home edition 64 bits
    Core i7 2600k (3.40 ghz)
    Geforce 570 GTX
    8GB DDR3

I didn't read all messages but it seems I'm not alone having this issues.
  9. Poubelleur

I have to add something very Important :

The game run perfectly on my laptop all settings to medium

Windows 7 home edition 64 bit
    Core i7 2670
    geforce 570M
    16 GB DDR3
  10. Teshrrar

I believe you, Devs. And for me, today, even with the little things who annoy me, its the best MMO what I play in years.
  11. TheEvilBlight

i7-2675M (quad core Sandy)
    Same operating system, but an entry level 6490M and only half the ram (8GB DDR3); though PS only loads ~1.6GB into memory.

I get 50 at the warpgate and it drops to slideshow if I go severe Cyssor-side. Have to play on low resolution and low settings. Pretty sure the GPU is the limiting factor here, because a 6490M lacks the horsepower.

Any chance of releasing some kind of Forgelight engine benchmarking tool so we can optimize our machines/drivers/etc accordingly?
  12. Yazmo

that a very nice news to heard, i have a request to do
    can you guy make different key binding for different loadout and class , that would be simply awesome
    i mean there is a ton a key to press, and by making different key bind form each class would us us to play correctly with the class we pick.

also i this as been talk over and over but just for the fps drop that is causing you need to remove screen explosion or at less lower the radius drastically

by far as i know my game run decently but i have a very nice rig few friend stop playing bcuz they were like 15-40 fps mostly 20 all around in fight and went im gonna tell them that you arent done with the optimazation that would probably give them some faith

and last thing lower all the ammo damage on all class so we can get into a real gun fight and not just die and respawn over and over
    this would also help the SOE server by the meanwhile.
  13. ImNotDrunk

well you
    . So no matter how many cores you have the cpu is doing the same amount of work. Thats just what I'm getting out of this. So theoretically everyone should be getting the same fps which would be under 30 fps in big battles.
  14. nukularZ

But not all cores are created equally. The Intel cores, individually, are much more powerful than their AMD counterparts.
    • Up x 1
  15. ImNotDrunk

Oh yeah people with i5 and i7 are the only ones i know that can play this game with okay frame rates.
    • Up x 1
  16. TheEvilBlight

i7 desktops or laptops?
  17. Xavstar

With v-sync enabled I always get the top 60 fps. Maximum graphics settings, apart from shadows at low, 19200x1200 res. I have a i5 quad core 750 OC'd to 3.9.ghz. 16GB RAM running at 9-9-9-24, 1560mhz. Nvidia 580 GTX 1536MB. CPU utillization hovers around 60%. PS2 does GPU utillization between 60% and 100% but it makes the card run a lot hotter than BF3 which always ran the GPU at 100% but did not run as hot. The 580gtx is a hot running card. I modded it with an Antec Kuhler 920. Now GPU temp in PS2 has go down from 80C using the stock hsf to 45C with the mod in the image below.
    [IMG]
  18. Irathi

Yes, that was my point. I don't think it's to far from the truth either, some people with "odd" specs (like really under powered/old) report decent framerate though. My guess is that they are either not aware what gameplay is considered "smooth" (45fps+) or they play at really low resolutions, like 1024x768 or 1280x720. For some odd reason (well not really that odd) most of the people reporting good fps with old cpu/gpu's always fail to mention what settings they play.

In the end I believe it is mostly people with AMD or older intel CPU's that are experiencing the extremely low fps, it is caused by lower performance / core. Although then again there are a couple with 2500K and higher also reporting slow framerate.

I believe it was mentioned that high speed ram could really help, I have 2x4 GB Crucial Ballistix 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 on the way in mail now, can't wait to try them out :) I will run a before and after test.
  19. Skizerz

I'm not being "attacked" by sarcasm, people that use it are just to dim-witted to realize that in text there is no tone of voice. And please for the love of God don't put winking faces in comments, it makes you look a smart-***.
  20. Hatamoto

It was meant to be of help for "smart" people like you who cant read into context .. You might want to read some of the earlier posts if you are having problems with my post. But this is a technical forum so we should probably stick to problems of that nature.