Questions on Sensor Shield implant mechanics

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Dualice, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Dualice

I've not unlocked this implant yet, but have a bunch of T1-2 spares hanging around so need to get crafting. I've seen some gameplay footage and read up on the Wiki on Sensor Shield but am still a little vague on what it does do, and what it doesn't.

Firstly, I know that sprinting and jumping will show you up on enemy sensors, but does it stop you showing on the minimap to your enemies when firing an un-suppressed weapon? And if so, is there a set range on this doing so? I notice the Wiki mentions the tier 4 implant having a range "within 20m of the source", though I'm guessing this is referring to intelligence equipment such as infil tools and scout radar.

That leads me on to my second question - what is the difference between the tier 3 and tier 4 Sensor Shield implant?

And lastly, in light of the answers to the previous two questions, is this implant worth using, and if so, in what situations/loadouts is it most effective?

Thanks for your time.
  2. Ballto21

You dont show up on vehicle radar at all if youre walking/crouch walking, LA jetpacks count as jumping, and its something like 15m for infil tools on walking and sprinting and jumping, crouch walking is still non showing. Difference between 3 and 4 is 4 has less energy consumption. Its good if youre attacking a base with a lot of recon, sniper hunting, or outdoors with medkits. As an infil i run SMG/SASR/CQCBASR when outside and SMG when inside. I always use medkits with it.
    • Up x 1
  3. AnuErebus

You will still appearing on the mini-map when you fire an unsuppressed weapon. Sensor shield only effects your movement, not enemies spotting you or the detection range of guns.

The difference between 3 and 4 is the sprinting ability. With 3 you are still revealed while sprinting regardless of distance. With 4 you can sprint around, and unless you're within 20m of a radar source. Both will completely hide you while walking.

3 isn't terribly useful. Unless you're really careful about how you approach a situation it's not going to make much of a difference. If you're geared up to be fully stealthy using a suppressor then there's some room to play with it, but the times it seems like it'd make a noticeable difference are few and far between. 4 is a little more useful since you can sprint around a fair bit and I'd say it's the only one really worth using since you can move quickly and stay stealthy at the same time. That said, one thing I've learned about this game is that the vast majority of people pay very little attention to the mini-map, so there's only a small percentage of the population which either implant will have any effect on.
    • Up x 2
  4. Dualice

Nice one, thanks for the replies fellas. Sounds like I should get transmuting (might be using terminology from the wrong game there - screw it) for the tier 4!