[Vehicle] Question on Proxy Radar

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Daigons, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Daigons

I've been away from the game for several months but I have a question on Proxy Radar. So with all the changes to C4 and the Light Assault using Ambusher jump jets, does Proxy Radar give enough of a warning to Lightning & MBT drivers?
  2. Demigan

In defense against LA's, you can do things like place a Spitfire nearby, relocate every now and then, move around, keep an eye on routes from the spawnroom that lead to a flanking position on you to catch LA's before they come in range, hide amongst tunnel-visioning friendly tanks (who will be easier targets and get targeted more often), keep close to friendly infantry who's situational awareness is much higher (because they are squishier and need it to survive more) and who will gladly kill any LA who's defenseless because he's carrying C4.

The Proxy Radar however is a bit sad. It's only really useful maxed out, at which point it'll do it's job but 50m is basically a bit too short. When it was still a utility I used to use it alongside stealth and it was a golden method for hunting down enemy infantry, especially LA's who try to catch you. Unfortunately it was moved to the defense slot, so enemy infantry will be able to spot you on the radar if you have one equipped.

If I had my way, I would allow Proxy Radar to be used in the utility slot. Hell, allow people to choose if they want it on the utility or the defense slot.
    Then, increase it's maximum range to 70m or even 100m, and it's minimum to 30 or 40m so it has some utility when you buy the early levels. Even then it's still inferior to scout radar as proxy radar can be avoided through crouching or not moving, but at least it won't be as terrible as it is now.
    Then, allow players to activate a pulse from your proxy-radar. Either by pressing Ctrl or C (tanks can't crouch anyway) or by holding the spot key (Q). The reason not to add "F" is in case you equip fire suppression. This pulse will spot any enemy within it's range, including tanks and aircraft, and then go on cooldown.

This gives proxy-radar far more value to be used in the battlefield, and makes it an actual choice rather than a gimmick that only the occasional infantry-hunter might equip.
    • Up x 2
  3. Jac70

One change I would make is for the Spitfire to alert to targets earlier than it currently does. An Ambusher LA can get in destroy your tank or Sunderer before the Spitfire beeps and by that time he can take that out as well before it starts shooting.
  4. JibbaJabba

Proxy works well if you have enough friendlies nearby to actually look at it. It excels there actually.

If going semi-solo, it provides enough warning only if you happen to be looking at minimap pretty constantly. Otherwise an LA (particularly ambusher) can cover the distance faster than you'll notice.

I find the spitfire super helpful. If I set up camp on some ridge to shell something, I'll drop a spitfire behind me. I don't expect it to kill anything, but when I hear it fire I'll immediately start moving.
  5. Daigons

Interesting ideas since I was never impressed with the Proxy Radar but it was necessary at times. I have it fully purchased for my VS-Ligntning & Magrider. Now that I'm playing TR & NS, I'm not even sure if it's worth grinding the certs to max out Proxy Radar for those faction vehicles. From what I've seen in the past 2 weeks, I see Light Assaults zipping around like Spiderman instantly getting into C4 drop range and wrecking vehicles.

Over this past weekend, I did spend time sitting in a Lightning with Proxy at a secured AMP station. I didn't see any interested LAs but I saw an endless conga line of Medics, Engineers and HA that tried to sneak up to me to C4 me.