[Suggestion] Putting more infiltration into the infiltrator

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Tormentos, Dec 2, 2021.

1. Tormentos

We all know them. These heavy shield barriers beneath biolabs, in the center of Amp stations, or on the sides of Techplants. The locking mechanisms in the containment facilities on Esamir gave me an idea. Not to be shot to pieces, but to serve as an extension for already existing larger bases.

What if we add an electronic locking mechanism on these walls close to the shield gate or in the same room as the generator for this shield that can be hacked by an infiltrator in order to switch the polarity from by example a NC shield to a VS shield and could be, of course, hacked again by another infiltrator to undo this effect? The effect is also undone, once the shield goes down in case of generator destrruction. It could change the circumstances of the battle, if spawned vehicles all of a sudden are trapped inside their own base. Everyone sees the broken generator icon on the map and can be warned. A more subtle approach is just the infiltrator way,

This of course excludes shields for the SCU, defenders of an Amp station should be able to defend themselves as well. And since it is hacking, it is not bound to empire connection, but the effect is timed before the base recovers by cleaning locking mechanism algorithms of unauthorized access. How long this timer should go may be up for a debate. My ideas range from 3 minutes, 5 minutes or even 10 minutes.

One can still make use of the 'battering ram' and destroy the generators if Empire connection exists (and frankly there will always be those point hoarders), but I think the 'lockpick' solution would cause some havoc on the base, especially behind enemy lines while interfering with a fight of two enemy factions. Denying the enemy quick relief in form of reinforcements is just the aim of this idea

So, no new weapons, just an idea for a new mechanic to be more of a menace. And of course, these shields are solid enough to block both vehicles and infantry, so this would give the infiltrator a hefty tool not for killing, but for area of denial.

As for points I would suggest 50XP per shield gate, the destruction of a generator will have more incentive for most players and let's keep it that way. No need to compete with that.

An alternate idea would be to attach consoles near the shield generators for these gates, that would grant control over these generators, no matter what faction currently holds the base, but a base losing control over one generator would give the defenders the ability to destroy said generator, what would reset the control as well and could be done by everyone. And of course, something like this NEEDS to have Empire Control.

Like I said: I won't touch SCU shields, for these are coupled to the conquest timer of the base.

The second idea would be a remote controlled, unarmed hover drone, maybe about the size of a head, able to fly above and switch over to IV/NV and spot enemies below. The drone would be part of the infiltrator recon tools and would require such a slot in order to use it.

It would come in 6 levels:

1. level: 50 certs, While deployed, can spot enemy infantry and vehicles within 50 meters for 5 seconds and has a 75 meter range from the Infiltrator. Lasts 150 seconds, 1 can be carried.

2. level: 75 certs, While deployed, can spot enemy infantry and vehicles within 75 meters for 6 seconds and has a 100 meter range from the Infiltrator. Lasts 175 seconds, 1 can be carried.

3. level: 100 certs, While deployed, can spot enemy infantry and vehicles within 125 meters for 7 seconds and has a 125 meter range from the Infiltrator. Lasts 200 seconds, 2 can be carried.

4. level: 200 certs, While deployed, can spot enemy infantry and vehicles within 100 meters for 8 seconds and has a 150 meter range from the Infiltrator. Lasts 225 seconds, 2 can be carried.

5. level: 500 certs, While deployed, can spot enemy infantry and vehicles within 125 meters for 9 seconds and has a 175 meter range from the Infiltrator. Lasts 250 seconds, 2 can be carried

6. level: 1000 certs, While deployed, can spot enemy infantry and vehicles within 150 meters for 10 seconds and has a 200 meter range from the Infiltrator. Lasts 300 seconds, 3 can be carried.

In short, this drone will give you a birdseye perspective of the situation below in a 45 degrees angle. To deploy it, you need to be uncloaked, yet can cloak again once you steer it. It has very few HP, is spottable as well and a well aimed bullet, locked on missile or aircraft ramming it could destroy it. It will have certain lights, so one can see it better during the night. We have lots of open spaces, but this drone is strictly for the outside. This is not something that fits into every close quarter combat situation. It will not help indoors, since it can't see forward. Indoors is where established recon devices are way better in their respective ways.

Opinions, comments or criticism are all welcome, but keep it constructive.
  2. BlackFox

I think the Infiltrator already can do enough ingame, from plain Infantry hunting over hacking terminals right up to constantly solo conquering bases as distraction.

Making the already most annoying class even more annoiyng isn't a good idea