Public Test server is active!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Higby, Apr 8, 2013.

1. m00eh

test server = fail

why?

...because moving forward while leaving behind cheats, hacks, 87+ pages of unresolved bugs can only = ultimate fail and loss of good customers leaving behind the free players that cheat and hack their way to victory.

stunned with disbelief? type the following into google:

planetside 2 hacks

youtube planetside 2 hacks

it is a step in the right direction, but still a step taken too soon. stop trying to move forward without resolving the issues behind you please. if patches are not working on the live server and resolving issues, i fail to see how anything on a test server will help to do anything but promote moving forward without fixing once again... that which has been left behind.

why is it so difficult for some people to see the giant elephant in such a small room that is right in front of them?
  2. BH Brigade

holy ****, where do you live and who is your internet provider? I have 25 mega bits down, and I thought that was slow!
  3. madman278

People already complain on the real servers this will just allow them to complain before their stats are messed up or people jump on the OP weapon of the week bandwagon.. Also it gives SOE a way to deploy and fix bugs without breaking the game for everyone..all good things. SOE can try their crazy ideas on these test servers with more than a handful of testers which they have to get a better idea of how it will play out in the real world.
  4. Czuuk

NO. You are obviously not a developer of software. Test servers are a boondoggle. The exist only to appease the apatite of the self righteous. There is no valuable information gained by developement because people that play on test servers don't know the first ******* thing about testing software. They do nothing but tax teh resources of already over taxed developers.
  5. SgtScum

Wow, the test server is so damn buggy and unplayable! Fix it NAO!!! :mad::mad::mad:

j/k

Good to see it up and running at last. :)
  6. Suchy101

I'm sorry, but am I, or is SOE missing the point of a test server.

I thought the test server should be kept in-line with the rest of public servers feature-wise .... until there is an update ready to be rolled out.

Then this update is firstly rolled onto the test server, TESTED.and fixed as necessary, THEN rolled out to the rest of the servers once happy with it.

What it seems to be ATM is a completely detached world with tons features SOE is just working on (to be released in undetermined future) ... whats the purpose of that and how will this help GU's run smoother ? Every time there was a GU fiasco the SOE responded that the problems were unforeseeable due to the amount of users they cold not simulate on their internal tests.

Well, I thought thats what test server was there for right ? Apparently not.

Can someone put me straight here because I simply do not understand it.
    • Up x 1
  7. Czuuk

OK. The amount of useful testing data that can be collected from the number of players that participate in public test servers is insignificant compared to the efforts involved in operating them.

The test server is there to appease the apatite of the self-entitled.
  8. xGreedFuSioN

My internet speed is:
    200-300kb/s download
    20-70kb/s upload
    70-120 ping
    :3
  9. BH Brigade

I'm am so, so sorry *pats on back sympathetically.
  10. tjparkour24

Apologies if someone has already said something like this but I believe that if you copy all of your regular PS2 files from the standard game into the Test Server directory and then do a quick patch then you shouldn't have to download the whole game again!

I'm trying this now and it seems to be working.. Good luck!
  11. tjparkour24

This didn't work properly so I still have to download the whole game :(
  12. Boomotang

Really? Then why do game developers say stuff like this?

Higby - "We really need to get a full zone to make sure that the changes we're making to the battle flow are working well under normal, live server loads. These tests will last about an hour and will give us a lot of data about what areas of the new map need changes or updates before this goes live."
  13. Czuuk

Because somebody told him to? Like the guy that writes his checks? After all the noobz cried in the forums for a test server?

Give me a break man. I've written web services for 15 years. And 6 months of it at Zenimax Online Studios. Public test server is a waste of fekking resources that is only there to appease the self-entitled.
  14. Rivenshield

/sees the pic of the new Saurva base on test server

/looks like old PS1 base on steroids

/HORY SHET

/downloads test client immediately

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  15. Frankiedoodle

If it was the same as the other servers it would just be another server...

This test server allows newer things that still need to be thoroughly tested to be tested, rather than nearly-done things.
  16. DjUnicorn

Can't play in test server when it keeps crashing over and over again, our entire unlocks got reset but no certs were returned.
    How can I test under these conditions?
  17. Rivenshield

I'm having no trouble at all, except there only seems to be a handful of people on at any given time...

COME ON, folks. You get the lattice back. You get a few more defensible bases. You get an improved map that makes it easy to see what bases give you which bonuses, and which are being hacked, and what the current TIME ON HACK is. You even get ambient travel music. Getcher arses in here!
  18. Wasdie

This update was probably scheduled to be released before the test server came to being. Right now we're doing a lot of good testing on the next content update.

The idea of the test server is it's always ahead of the main client. The main client should be rarely caught up. Here code changes can be constantly tested before implemented on the live servers. This is exactly how you do a public test client. You don't just keep it the same version until you're 90% of the way done with all of the features. As soon as you can you put them on the test server, even if they aren't finished. Help catch early problems.
  19. Wasdie

Every time you crash a report is sent automatically as to why you crashed. By crashing, you are testing. I would rather crash in the test server than on patch day.
  20. DjUnicorn

I also crash a ton of times in the live servers since gu2, didn't see that fixed once. Why would I waste time trying to test the crashes if they haven't even fixed the ones before? Makes no difference if it is in the test server or live server but at least in the live server I am actually getting certs and my guns don't reset for no reason. Until the client is stable (which was before today) I will not open it anymore.