PTS Drifters let you glide along the ground like skiing in Tribes

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Kronic, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Wolfwood82

So these replace the original drifters? That's going to cause hate.

Granted I've never been a fan of the original drifters, but I'd never want them out right replaced by something that functions completely differently. A lot of drifter fans are likely to see this as a nerf because of it.

Still, can't wait.
  2. KorJax

Uh what?

Drifters work exactly as they do before

Except now when you are using them along the ground, instead of having the jump-jets being stopped due to you landing on the ground you'll hover slightly above.

AKA they work the same as they did before but with the added benefit of letting you "glide" along the ground instead of just "landing" once you touch the ground with drifters active.
    • Up x 2
  3. Kulantan

Yay, I just certed another shotgun to Auraxium.
  4. ElementalFiend

I can't see this going live, not at the current drifting speed. This combined with C4 would be RIDICULOUS.
  5. Kulantan

It is still slower than a tank's reverse.
  6. Compass

Standard jet packs in the game already fly this fast.
  7. Ronin Oni

lol THAT would be crazy OP....

pick and chose. New drifters will be perfect for those open terrain infantry fights.
  8. OldMaster80

It's faster than infantry strafe, that's enough I would say. Looking at how easily and fast this guy can kill with shotguns even when drifting, I seriously hope this does NOT go live like it is in the video.

And then I bet still some LA will pretend to have tools. :)
  9. Kulantan

Oh yeah, it will be nice. But it doesn't herald a new age where LAs will outrun and blow up everything.
  10. OldMaster80

After watching the entire video I'm afraid this could seriously be OP. Past months proved that mobility is what really makes soldiers and vehicles strong in this game: if you move fast and people can't hit you, then you got a great advantage. Just look and the old Magrider when the game has been released, at the ZOE before the strafe nerf, at the Harasser outperforming tanks and so on.

Being able to strafe fast and using shotguns, grande launchers, and whatever could be Dangerous. Devs must implement it in a very smart way.
    • Up x 1
  11. Hypest

LA = mobility. It is a shame, that the LA class don't have slightly higher speed out of the box, than the rest of the classes. I never used drifters before, kind of interested in them now. We'll see.
  12. TeknoBug

Why would you jump onto things when you enter a generator or cap room and zip past enemies with a shotgun while all they see is a blur?
  13. Regpuppy

Considering "drifting" like this makes your bloom stay at max. The ONLY weapon this will help LA's murder people with is shotguns, and those are receiving yet another nerf. I really do not see how these can be OP as they currently are.
  14. KorJax

I really don't think you've ever played with drfiters because if you have you wouldn't be saying this.

Accuracy while drifting is the same as what it is when you jump/fall - in that its very hard to hit ANYTHING accurately on hip fire and ADS doesn't work very good either because your sights are going to be way off center and in-accurate.

It'll help yes, but it won't really be that OP because if you were looking to deal damage you would stop drifting. The only thing I'd be worried about would be shotguns, but since they are getting nerfed so you need to be more skillfull and accurate to kill with them, it sounds like drifting is exactly what you shouldn't do with a shotgun unless you are literally point blank.
  15. Grimtou

Certain shotguns using laser sights have almost no bloom while hipfire - jumping. It's crazy to give up the extended mag, but sometimes I play this way for a change of pace. Also, since NV scopes are broken as hell, there is no sway while jumping with them - and likewise, certain shotguns have very little bloom while ADS jumping.
  16. Jaedrik

I am the GREATEST!
    Wohoo!
    Shazbot!

If they do anything to expand upon the Light Assault in this game, it should be full blown Tribes tier skiing for mobility.
  17. DirArtillerySupport

Wow..that looks really really bad. The whole gameplay thing aside...is this something we really want to see happening to Planetside? It looks like people jumping on invisible segways playing grab ***.
  18. Wolfwood82

Yeah when I posted that I had just woken up. Wasn't till I was already at work that I realized it was entirely possible to do both...
  19. Compass

Here comes the QQ wave about how they let some derp with a jetpack move like Jagger.
  20. Rodinvac

This change frankly looks really fun and I hope it makes it to the main server.