[PSA] SOE is working on optimisation, not new content - stop whining!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NovaAustralis, Aug 20, 2013.

1. NovaAustralis

Reference:
    http://www.planetside-universe.com/news-development-focusing-on-optimization-3060.htm

To anyone complaining about the reduction in new content released while SOE works on optimisation,
    take note of these facts and answer these questions:

- There are 3 different factions. (Have you played them all?)

- There are 3 different continents with dozens of different bases on each. (Have you attacked and defended every one of them? Have you explored every corner of each continent?)

- There are 5 different classes as well as the MAX suit. That's 15 different combinations of classes and factions. (Have you certed out all of them and played in every niche role?)

- There are 5 different aircraft available across the three factions. (Have you certed out all of them in the various different configurations and roles? Including mastery of each ESF?)

- There are 7 different vehicles available across the three factions. (Have you certed out all of them in the various different configurations and roles? Including mastery of each EST?)

- There are 11 different Alerts. That's 33 different combinations of alerts and factions. (Have you participated in all of the different types of alerts on all sides?)

- There is about 160 different weapons in this game. :eek: (Have you got Auraxium medals on all of them?)
    (I count: 3x melee, 14x pistols, 20x Assault Rifles, 6x Scout Rifles, 3x Battle Rifles, 16x shotguns, 18x Sniper Rifles, 19x Carbines, 2x Chainguns, 7x SMGs, 19x LMGs, 3x Hvy weps, 14x RLs, 10x grenades, 5x explosives)

Anyone claiming they are 'bored' with a 'lack of content' are attention-deficient, spoiled brats and nothing more.
    Every one of us should be heartily applauding SOE for this bold move in the right direction.
    It will be to the benefit of both the players and SOE in the long run.
    This. is. a. good. thing.

When PS2 runs smooth as silk, without crashing and glitching and long loading screens, the vast majority of existing players will be much happier and more new players will join in and actually stay. (Players that left might even be tempted to return...)
    Then, and only then, should SOE be bothered with adding more toys to the sandpit.

[IMG]

I'm BR81 and have been playing since late 2012.
    I've only played on the NC faction. (Have created alts for TR and VS only to test their vehicles and weapons out. Both are still BR1.)
    I haven't even begun to cert into the Lightning, Liberator, Light Assault and Medic.
    My Flash, Harasser and Galaxy also have a long way to go.
    Basically, I have plenty left to do in PS2.
    I suspect you do too. ;)
    • Up x 6
  2. Sen7rygun

Because saying stuff makes it true by default right?

Ok here goes... I'M GOING TO DRIVE THE BAT MOBILE ACROSS THE SURFACE OF THE SUN. Make of it what you will.

I'll believe Smed when I see results.
    • Up x 2
  3. Maidere

According to you stock tetris has a lot of content.
    Good day, sir Internet White Knight.
    • Up x 1
  4. Cleaver

So despite what they've been telling us all these years, the map designers and artists and modellers and coffee-makers DO work on customisation?

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  5. CHDT65

Optimization, ok.
    But with the same graphic quality.

I remember PS2 one month after its launch, it looked amazing and ran perfectyl smooth.
    • Up x 1
  6. Maidere

Programmers sure work on both new map and optimisation. Wont be surprised if 3d artists are involved in optimisation somehow as well.
    • Up x 1
  7. Phyr

No, the game has run like crap for someone since the game was playable, and it always will. Such is the nature of the PC.
  8. Metallic123

They're probably more behind with the roadmap than they would like to admit so use optimization as a scapegoat. I hope that isn't the case and they do find a solution to make the game enjoyable for everyone with a decent rig. Otherwise Hossin 2014!
  9. EmmeraldWeapon

Its more like, the features that make up most of the roadmap, adding weapons, adjusting abilities, balancing everything is done by the coders. Artist and modelers may be free to make a new armor or additional skins, even a new content, but it won't be tested or implemented into the game code until the optimisation pass is done.
    • Up x 1
  10. Kristan

I saw how they worked on "optimization" before. Every patch that had "optimization" in it made it worse and FPS got worse. Luckily there were patches without mentioning of optimization that brought things back to tolerable. Yet I won't return to the game untill they will fix crashes because of memory or until I will get me a new PC.
  11. CHDT65

The game has run "crap", as you said, on "crappy" pc.
    On mine, on a 2560pix large monitor, I still get 90 fps in the open areas and 40-50 in the building areas.
    I wouldn't call this "crap".
  12. NovaAustralis

Me too, we need to wait and see if SOE delivers.

Dude, try and take my post at face value.
    Compare what you can do in PS2 to any other game...
    Now try and tell me there is a 'lack' of content so bad that we HAVE TO HAVE RIGHT NOW THIS VERY MINUTE new content.
  13. NovaAustralis

Not what I said, but thanks for playing.

Did you grow up playing Quake? or Doom? or even Wolfenstein?
    You got a grand total of 8 weapons and maybe several dozen levels.
    Yet, we played the **** outta those games.

Players these days are spoiled brats with so many toys that they don't know what to do with them.
    • Up x 3
  14. EmmeraldWeapon

No, but it isn't entirely a gimmie either. They actually already revealed the plan in a post related to the PS4. They need to get the game running great on PS4 hardware, which is to say a mid range PC. So they are going to optimise the whole engine, starting with full multithreading. Now they said the pc would see the new executable once the ps4 version was done, dunno right now. I think it would be easier in the long run though if they just fixed the pc version so it could be plunked on the ps4 with no porting and simply use the ingame graphic settings to make the game as playable as they intended.
    • Up x 1
  15. Phyr

Never said it was bad on "my" computer. There will always be someone that gets low FPS/crashes regardless of how much work they do on the game.
  16. Maidere

Nice comparison. Let's compare WoW to Netrunner CCG.
  17. RHINO_Mk.II

[PSA]

[PSA] [PSA]

[PSA] [PSA] [PSA]

[PSA] [PSA] [PSA] [PSA] [PSA]

Stoppit.
    • Up x 1
  18. XRIST0

Amen .

There is plenty of content in planetside 2 , im the same as Nova .. Ive been playing since beta and im far from bored of this game but i am frustrated by the way the game performs at the moment .

Adding new content wont fix a damn thing right now .

Hossin is on the test server , if you really want you can play on there .. but guess what ? after the lastest update it also runs like garbage unless you disable the hud .

The game needs a total overhaul , simple as that .

If they don't focus on optimization the game will die slowly .

The least they could do is revert whatever they did in the hotfix , it was fine :rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  19. Sen7rygun

If you could just find for me the part where I started ranting about the requirement of new content over optimisation that'd be great, thanks. Maybe should should extensively read through every post I've ever made on these forums and find the one where I demanded content over optimisations for multicore systems. You'll be looking for a while.

I'm just saying I don't believe a f*cking word that comes out of some blood sucking corporate executives mouth when it comes to providing a quality product over short term profit. I don't know how naive you are or what your life experience is like but mine tells me until we have a highly optimised game in our hands that runs at 50-60+ fps on a 3.5-4ghz quad core system with 6-8gb of ram and a 1gb+ vid card then he's full of sh*t.

The specs above are a very average system these days, maybe even datet but it will still run every other big FPS game out there on the market at pretty much max settings at 50+fps.
  20. Thrustin

I never understood this argument. The PS2 developers consist of teams, each specialized in an area, like artwork, map design, function design, engine, optimizations etc.

So in my eyes, optimizations should've been constantly done by the optimization team, whereas all the other areas done by their respective teams. We should be seeing content, optimizations, bug fixes, etc. come out, and not one after an other for each GU.

The way the PS2 team is acting is as if they've only got 3 coders, which now decided to optimize the game.

Someone explain pls.
    • Up x 1