[PSA] Higby Discusses changes to Deathcam based on feedback

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by WyrdHarper, Mar 11, 2014.

1. WyrdHarper

2. Killerdude8

I'd very much Rather a 45 Degree arc over the 15 degree Arc...

But at least it's better than a Straight line to you...
    • Up x 2
  3. Inex

Which is (but won't be interpreted as) a trump card on the 'yes/no' debate on the feature.

It doesn't really matter how much your K/D suffers, or your ideal gameplay is threatened, or what it does to your "feelz". Once actual money starts being the driver, the argument is basically over. We can take from their recent tuning then that the argument inside the SOE office has never been "Should we implement?" but "How do we implement?" Mechanics of the feature aside, the 'meta' design is just making sure that X (# of players leaving because invisible ghosts killed them) + Y (# of players leaving because 'dumbing down') is as low as possible.

There is hope though. You can do the same thing. In fact, I've seen it happen. Those of you with a WoW pedigree will probably remember "Real ID". Same deal there: new feature being pushed was killed off by "Why did you cancel your sub?" questionnaires.

So if you hate the feature: quit. Cancel your sub, stop playing. Go outside. Get a girlfriend, or a boyfriend, or a dog, or collect stamps. They have exact numbers on the players who are leaving (and taking their money with them); the only counterargument is taking your money with you. You need to prove that the one time loss of players (or more accurately, potential SC) for this feature is greater than the ongoing loss of players because of dying 'randomly'.

PS: If you have been playing this game since launch and haven't spent any money on it, Higby doesn't care too much if you leave.
    PPS: The number of infiltrators angry about this is going to be far lower than the new players churning through the game. You've basically lost before you've begun.
  4. smokemaker

The death of smart FPS..... deathcam

ANYTHING that helps the player locate an enemy other then the players eyes is bad.
    bad bad bad.

deathcam or anything like it goes live, i move on to another game.
    • Up x 3
  5. TorigomaSET

We'd have to see how it is actually implemented, but It sounds FAR better than what's there now.
    • Up x 1
  6. HadesR

If it's for new players then turn off the feature when they reach BR15 ... Everyone wins
    • Up x 10
  7. NinjaTurtle

This will be the only acceptable implementation for it if it ha to be in the game
    • Up x 2
  8. Prudentia

(disclaimer: what now follows is my personal opinion on the idiocy the 'high skilled' players)
    (and i just copy pasted that out of another thread that got closed, so it may not fit 100%)

What for example is easily done by a computer is recoil control, the less randomness the less you have to program. a weapon that pulls up and to the right with an angle of 12° is the easiest to program and also easiest to use in a game. barely any skill involved in countering the recoil of tthis weapon, just memorizing.

a weapon that has a more random recoil direction requires constant attention to the gun adjustments to the direction it's kicking. this weapon requires alot more skill to use. but it's also harder to use it's full potential, so those players who know the game avoid it to get the easiest wins they can get.

and then there is the third type (we now had: action on input and action as reaction)
    action in anticipation. flanking, ambushing, etc, even equiping the right weapon. this requires a good amount of 'thinking power' and can often have still have influence when you didn't even think they would. which is also the reason many 'pro' players absolutly HATE weapons which are made for a specific role. because they haven't developed the required mental skills to plan ahead how they can change the weapon or keep the fight in a way that it still favours their equipment they try to find the 'one size fits all' weapon that allows them to ignore lomg term thinking and focus more on short, twitch thinking.

so what exactly do they automate with the deathcam? the input? the reaction? the planning?

in my opinion the new deathscreen goes hugest dumbing down route by automating planing that you had to invest in actually finding.

(new part:)

i think something along the lines of 'shot from back left and above) would be far more helpful than a direction marker. just a generell direction, note on the elevetion and a rough distance.
    i already mostly kow the direction i got shot from, so the direction on the killscreen only gives me further information on that, making that part easier. however i often feel like i got killed in a weird way, just zto later discover that the shotgun user who killed me from behind was actually using slugs sniping from a rooftop :eek:
    and i still think that anything that gives you more than a rough distance makes flanking way to unrewarding and promotes a rather skill less run'n'gun playstyle.
  9. MasonSTL

Wait, doesn't yelling over voice chat do the same thing, if not better? So why is everyone against what Higby said they want to put in?

I really don't think having this will have any noticeable change for the current battle hardened players at all. As it is now I can tell you where a shot came from within the same range that the map on the death screen shows, just from getting hit. And I can tell others that position over proxi or yell to other players.

Snipping on live servers now, after the first kill that player knows where I am. If he doesn't come after me it is mostly because he is too lazy and thinks someone else will take care of it, or he tries to counter snipe.

I think these changes that are in the OP are good and that many of the people against it are seriously over reacting by thinking people that have played this game longer than the player that this change is directed towards can't already tell where their MLG sniping positions are.

TL;DR this change won't actually tell ongoing players more than we already know, it just tells us in a different way.
  10. Vaphell

randomized in what way? If i am reading this correctly (arc is centered at the killer and then the distortion is added to obfuscate), the visual part is a useless fluff and the real cone is defined by the jitter itself. It doesn't matter if you see 90 deg arc if you know it's roughly centered with a random ofset within the +/-5deg range. Centered 10deg wide stripe is the cone you want to check.

The cone width needs to be directly related to the jitter, otherwise you will always be able to narrow it down.
  11. OldMaster80

If the killcam is meant to be a tool to help noobs to learn the game then it must be automatically deactivated Once they hit level 15. Deathcam just kills part of the skill needed to play ps2. If this done to retain more new players they're making a mistake: many veterans will just hate it.

Btw a 15° angle is just not enough: it should be more like 45°.
  12. Alarox

Yes, please let me know where I got killed from. I totally need it after playing this game for 49 days. It isn't like the experienced players are going to abuse the living hell out of this mechanic or anything...
    • Up x 1
  13. AssaultPig

I posted this in another thread but maybe here is more appropriate.

It doesn't sound like the directional indicator will give you any more information than you get when somebody shoots you anyway (i.e. red directional bars.) You'll just be able to look at it for a few seconds after you die. It only gives you your killer's precise location if they were already spotted anyway (so, more information the kill-ee already had, if they were looking at their map.)

while I imagine I haven't thought of everything, I'm having a hard time figuring out what kind of big advantage this will provide to more advanced players
  14. Wobberjockey

honestly i don't have a problem with the line with a spotted target, or even with a vehicle.

the problem i have is with the cone showing the hitmarker in a much more permanent form. as long as the player needs inorder to realize i was behind enemy lines and that the shot did not in fact come from the main attacking force.