PS2 Updates and Valkyrie Reveal

Discussion in 'Official News and Announcements' started by RadarX, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Librux

SOE i hope u fix the 64 bit client FPS drop cos last time i had about 5 FPS down from 60
    • Up x 1
  2. ReconOne

Ok. I can see what i feel are a few potential flaws in this idea. First off let me state in many war games and simulators, i have always beena robust user of 'hybrid' or 'jack of all trades' vehciles. The value of such units comes in flexibility,and having a commander capable of using it, forcing the enemy out of their comfort zone or area of expertise where the hybrid will prove superior. However, in head to head confrontation, reluctantly, I must admit, hybrids will not often match dedicated role vehicles, and RARELY beat specialized/mission specific units.

The video makes me think that part of the idea pf this vehcile is to have the two passengers hop out to capture a ground target. So at least one of them would have to be a non MAX trooper. One max and one trooper with one air support unit is great for taking a quick undefended ninja cap. Going up against even a single squad however, taking a point will not be very likely.

A light air vehicle trying to deliver sustained air support using hover is much more vunerable than a fast mover. Meaning the vehcile will not have much endurance and need to make passes to deliver it's payload. A single unit will not deliver ideal firepower on point to support it's two ground members more likely than not.

This unit is making me think of a air version of the Bradly IFV. IFV's tend to be 'jack of all trades' vehicles and certainly they are the master of no role. I doubt it will have the endurance of our current air support craft. In small numbers it is incapable of supplying useful numbers of troops. Delivering only TWO troops onto hotzones will mean they will have to operate in numbers to be effective. Are they then INTENDED to be disposable, mass production units meant to drive to an area, drop 2 men from each unit, then pound away until ammo is gone and those two in the craft redeploy to join the ground fight? That would seem to make this unit only truely useful for one big attack per time period, sort of an aireal MAX crash. Other than that, it's the PS2 version of what the old heads feared Harrier jets would actually be, just expensive tinker toy versions of an old A4.

So will it prove useful, or is it just a tinker toy?

I'd like to see this with 4 rumble seats. I also wouldn't mind a slightly heftier version (think more HIND instead of...well..it looks like a delivery vehicle from Halo Reach ffs...), or one with the specific role of dropping MAX units into combat.
    • Up x 2
  3. Dalt Wisney

I am looking forward to it and I see a role - bring medics to all the high grounds our light assaults prefer to die on... ;)
  4. lesserbob

Actually, lately we (my outfit) have been going Air Wings (as in esf,libs and gals whole platoon) with paratroopers using battle galaxies, but the paratroopers are only there for the quick grab or to backup existing ground forces if needed.

Get in, quick hit, back to warp gate before they can rally sufficient anti air.

If needs speed and a handful of paratroopers. This new little bus would fit perfectly into this air wing as it would give us better speed than the gal and the paratroopers could offer firepower if they dont need to deploy deploy (rather than tiddling there thumbs in non-gunner gal seats)
  5. -Synapse-

Not so sure about the look of the Valkyrie, is there any way to make it look more distinct from the Liberator? Make the Cockpit a bit different, maybe?
  6. FizzyMan1

I am looking forward to the Valkyrie ship but i do have two concerns,

1. I fear that this ship will just become another attack ship and people will use it that way because the ship has a nose
    gunner, if the ship is supposed to be a quick response squad transport ship then i think that it should only have a tail gunner
    for defence, this is so the ship is used for its intended purpose.

2. The ship should be capable of carrying 6 people not 4, the way i see it is when landing a squad on a position the pilot and
    perhaps the gunner will take off after dropping just 2 people that's not much of a strike force,
    dropping of 4 people is a better strike force.
    • Up x 1
  7. Grimleyblack

The main reason that the Valkyrie will only transport 4 people is due to the Companies / Fireteams update were a 12 man squad is broken into Three 4 man fire teams.
  8. TheLunaticCO

Now THAT is a Main Mother****ing Battle tank!
    • Up x 1
  9. MrNature72

Source?
  10. Grimleyblack

WTF is that and how do get? o_O
  11. RDKillerITA

From where did you get this pic? Dev have only shown a concept but no implementation.
  12. Saturax

You can easy exctract models and textures from ps2 and place your own models in it :) for example place random spaceships like reapers from mass effect on battle field, but take too long to render it ( cca4-6H in me case ) then creat for fun pictures... ( + light source is off :) ) Still nice model, but where will you spawn it ? Warp gate only, becose it will not fit vehicle platforms ? :D
  13. Deathcapt

I feel like that giant tank would inevitably end up at the bottom of j908, every time it's spawned. Honestly there's only a hand full of routes that will fit something that big, and most bases won't allow it through. Amerish is full of bases that you can barely get a vanguard through.
  14. Shadoiex

-looks at how many ground vehicles there are-
    -Looks at list of air-
    Umm..:/
  15. Bindlestiff

Esamir.
  16. SevenTwo

Actually, come to think of it, isn't that pretty much symptomatic of this game?

We have this huge, expansive world but it's chock full of choke points at every corner for everything except aircraft.

The Indar canyons allow for maybe 2 vehicles side by side, most bases can just barely fit two-way traffic, roads are typically raised with annoying ditches on each side, even on Esamir the terrain rarely allows for more than one path due to crappy traction, there's only ever one vehicle spawning terminal in anything but the biggest bases... which barely allow more than one or two vehicles to be parked inside them.

Kinda' sometimes makes you think whether the game was designed for a much smaller audience.
  17. Deathcapt

I would like to see more objectives for vehicles that isn't camping the spawn room. It would be awesome if there was something tanks could do that wasn't just camping the spawn room, or waiting outside while the infantry fight for the base..
  18. CaptainKickAss3

In my opinion I think in order for the Valkyrie to be affective their must be two rumble seats and two passenger seats so that it is more effective in its QRF capabilities.