PS2 on Windows 10

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by NightfallDapper, Nov 1, 2015.

1. NightfallDapper

Before, I was running the 32-but of Windows 10. The Launchpad spat out this:
    Unable to launch C:/Users/Public/Daybreak Game Company/Installed Games/PlanetSide 2/PlanetSide2_x64.exe - 216: This version of %1 is not compatible with the version of Windows youre running. Check your computers system information and then contact the software publisher
    So then I install the 64 bit of Windows 10. I reinstall the game. Annnnnd...
    Unable to launch C:/Users/Public/Daybreak Game Company/Installed Games/PlanetSide 2/PlanetSide2_x64.exe - 216: This version of %1 is not compatible with the version of Windows youre running. Check your computers system information and then contact the software publisher.
    What's going on. What do I need to do to play PS2 on Windows 10?
    If it clarifies things, I think most games identify Windows 10 an Windows 8.1 accoring to Minecraft crash reports :/
  2. ObiVanuKenobi

Are you sure you got 64 bit windows now?

Right click the start button, click "System" and check what "System type" says, it should be "64-bit operating system".
    • Up x 1
  3. user101

The hard drive has to be formatted in 64 bits or PS2 will not run on a 32 bit formatted hard drive from what I understand. Even if you install Win 10 64 bit on a 32 bit hard drive PS2 will not run. Same for Win 7 & 8...! This may not be true for XP & Vista but it seems to be true for the later systems. SSD might be a different case... ! But real hard drives should be formatted in 64 bits with the big sector format. At least that is what I use in my system and I don't seem to have any troubles for the most part.

Use the largest sector you can ... in the format - this saves the drive arm from jumping all over the place with little sectors... it speeds up the game.
  4. NightfallDapper

F
    F**K! Still running 32-bit!
    • Up x 1
  5. ObiVanuKenobi

Wat. You can't do anything with a hard drive if it's not formatted properly, windows wouldn't start. And there's no such thing as 32-bit or 64-bit HDD, there's no difference in hard drive formats between a 32-bit and 64-bit OS.
    • Up x 2
  6. user101

Sure you can I have done it before, you can put a 64 bit system on a 32 formatted hard drive. I did it with Windows 7 just to see if you could really do it an have it work the same way. Works good with older programs even in 64 bits. Windows does not care. You do it with fat 32 on USB sticks all the time. You can boot from a fat 32 bit stick. Window sys does not care if it 32 bits or 64 bits.
  7. Jaybone

I can't tell if this guy is trolling or ignorant, but in case the OP is trying to make sense of what he's saying... ignore him. He seems to be confused about FAT32 vs NTFS... or maybe sector size... or something. As ObiVanuKenobi said, there is no such thing as a 32-bit or 64-bit formatted drive.
    • Up x 3
  8. ObiVanuKenobi

FAT32 is a file system and has nothing to do with 32-bit OS or programs, you can use 64-bit OS and any 64-bit programs on a FAT32 drive.
    • Up x 2
  9. user101

Most 32 bits are a FAT 32 and all 64bits are NTSF unless your running unix or something else. Don't be picky.,..
    The DEV's have said it needs to be NTSF 64 for PS2 - I assume it has something to do with there patcher they use. Since it locks files.
  10. ObiVanuKenobi

NTFS has been standard for many years if you're using a windows OS, even before win xp no matter if it's 32 or 64 bit. you'll see FAT32 only on flash disks or similar portable devices. Even my old windows xp 32-bit PC which i had 10+ years ago had a NTFS formatted hdd. I highly doubt it matters what file system you're using for planetside, pretty sure it would run fine even from a FAT32 flash.
    No, they haven't and there's no such thing, it's simply NTFS and it's used on both 32-bit and 64-bit systems.

FAT32 vs NTFS has nothing to do with 32-bit vs 64-bit OS or CPU. They are completely different things, NTFS does not relate to 64-bit in any way.

OP is using a 32-bit OS and that's why the game doesn't start, no matter what file system he uses for his HDD, case closed.
    • Up x 2
  11. Lord_Mogul

NTFS is around since Windows NT 3.1 back in 1993.
    Even every version of Windows XP I used so far has formatted in NTFS by default while still having support for FAT32. Same with evey later version of Windows. The most recent version of NTFS is version 3.1, wich is still used by every later Microsoft OS. So even if he is still using a partition from an older XP machine, this should not be an issue.
    In fact modern hard drives support 48-bit adresses which is in no place an issue with the 32 or 64 bit nature of current OSes

The only need for FAT32 today may be for thumbdrives that are also used on other OSes like Linux or OSX. They still have some issues with NTFS. FAT32 is some sort of lowest standard accesable to evey modern system.

The only problem around could be an issue with MFT and GPT.
    MFT only allows usage of space to around 2 TB per partition.

B2T:
    But his error messages still point out that he is using a 32 Bit environment which PS2 does not support for quite some time now.