PS2 Is In Danger of "Combat Medic" takeover

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ent|ty, Aug 1, 2013.

1. ent|ty

Combat medic. What a ******** term.

In all of history, medics were too busy caring for the wounded, then to be on the front lines shooting people in the face. "Combat medic" term shouldn't even exist.

Combat medics in prior games came into being because they were seriously OP in both the healing departments as well as always seemingly being endowed with superior weaponry. These two things made roving groups of medics unstoppable in many games from TFC to BF2.

BF2 being the most noteable difference to me, trying to defend a cap point against leap frogging insta-healing, insta-reviving zombie medics that 1-2 men simply don't even have the ammo for, nor the ability to handle.

Now I'm starting to see it in PS2, roving squads mainly made up of medics, almost unstoppable.

Like cutting the head off a Hydra, there's always one more medic around the corner insta-reviving his fallen comrades, that you managed to take out with tactics, speed and ingenuity. One false messup against a medic, and you're dead, you have to be top of your game.

Yesterday, it was medic after medic after medic after medic. A string of zombie horror trying to fight my way back to the root of it all, their Sundie. One run I literally ran out of ammo on the way, as for each medic kill it cost 3 kills most likely. Exhausting.

A somewhat secondary favourite is roving squads of Infiltrators turned Invisible front line killers, but thats for another topic.

Of course, my concerns will probably go unaddressed, as every other game got taken over by the 'combat medic' as well, but this class needs to get back into the support role where it belongs.

Much like how World of Warcraft is backwards (Priest/heal classes leading the charge; huh what?) as class roles get blurred, this scourge threatens to take over PS2 as well.

Suggestion: Put timers on healing abilities, NEVER NEVER provide instant heal/revives/group revives, healing mutiple targets etc.

There is enough challenge dealing with the low TTKs in this game, without killing one medic, then killing him while he revives the other, and vice versa, then a thrid and fourth coming running in, etc. WHAT A NIGHTMARE.

Note: Ironically enough, I cant count the number of times on my hands and toes how many times I've been revived. So gj other team for actually using it, though I think it is seriously OP, you deserve kudos for that.
    • Up x 35
  2. Vyss

Revives are way too quick that's for sure. It should really be an after battle practice and not a zerg enabling one. Halve rez speed and put a 5s cd on it.
    • Up x 23
  3. Mr_Giggles

Stopped right there. That sentence right there tells me that you know precisely Jack all about medics in the field.
    • Up x 51
  4. ovakin

Seem like you were outnumbered, at least you got some kills out of it.
    • Up x 5
  5. Degenatron

You know what perfectly counters a platoon of medics with level 6 med guns and heal grenades?

2 Zoe AI Maxes and an Engineer.
    • Up x 28
  6. ent|ty

Yeah when you have to kill 4 medics 16 times in order to get past them, its a bit ******** of a mechanic.
    • Up x 1
  7. Arch

We're you fighting them alone? If so what did you expect to win agains 4 medics?

If you were in a squad, why did you not follow up the initial kills by taking the ground they held?

There has been a lot af whines in the last week (game has been out 8 months) about revives. I can tell you as a player who medics most of the time, if I'm reviving in a firefight, I'm a deadman, and the friendly I res will be dead too soon after due to no shield. I revive from cover to get players up who are in cover, not standing about in the middle of a fire zone.
    • Up x 7
  8. Tristan

Signed. Revive mechanic is broken.
    • Up x 13
  9. ent|ty

Yes I do, and have. The problem is that they keep reviving, with ease.
    The OP of this topic is about toning down medics a bit, because they are fast becoming the go-to class of choice, in light of recent changes.
    This topic isnt about me, please stay on point, thanks.
  10. Mr_Giggles

I lied, I went and finished the thread.

It all seemed like a big contradiction to me. On one hand you are complaining about medics quickly respawning other medics after you shoot them, i.e. doing their role as a support class. Then at the end of the post you tell us that you can count the number of times on you appendages that you have been rezzed.
    To me it sounds like you should be more angry at the medics on your own team for not playing the secondary roles but instead you seem to be angry that you have to kill the same 4 people 4 times over each because they are doing their job. That makes no sense to me.
    But the core of the issue doesn't appear to be the medic itself but the tool. And the fix sounds like it will affect the singular medic more than it will the group of medics that appear to be the problem for you.
    • Up x 12
  11. huller

nerf teamwork, teamwork op.
    • Up x 40
  12. ironeddie

How would after battle work though? Battles start as fast as they end so I don't know how you could limit medics to reviving in a non combat area.
  13. MasonSTL

I could see implanting something like Kane and Lynch, being revived too much in a short period of time caused an overdose.
    • Up x 1
  14. Pincho

I know outfit players will complain that nerfing medics would be nerfing teamwork, but I think medics revivie a bit too quick once fully upgraded. As it's been said earlier in this topic, a pair of maxes can quickly clear a room with too many medics, but the issue is that medics also get C4 and can also revive their own maxes.
    • Up x 3
  15. Tristan

There are plenty of notable outfit leaders and members in the other medic thread supporting a nerf to the revive abilities.
    • Up x 4
  16. PWGuy93

Funny, typically on any given play, there always seem to be a lack of medics.
    • Up x 6
  17. Zv1deX

It's funny you should say that, because there have been several threads about the entire population turning into:

Heavy Assaults (still persistent)
    Infiltrators (now that lower graphics cause them to be more cloaked)
    MAXes (Resource change killed this -- can't pull them enough for them to be majority)
    Engineers (Yes, believe or not people used to say "They are needed for vehicles and get too much power with an AV Turret").

What this tell me? First, the game is pretty balanced, despite different perceptions. Second, LA could use a reworking in terms of usefulness, and maybe too much a niche or situational class.

In response to your actual post, however, I have noticed an increase in medic play. The medic is just the popular class right now because recent changes have made it the best XP per minute for non-"twitch" players.

Quite frankly, I am enjoy it thoroughly since my primary class is a heavy assault with no med kits. I do really hate how some forget or don't know to AOE heal. If you hear someone say "I need a medic!" please press the "F" button. If you get XP let it keep going, if you don't then just run into a crowd. It isn't a hard concept.
    • Up x 5
  18. ent|ty

I just want timers on certain abilities. This is a concern for me because I've seen this happen in so many games before. It will probably happen to PS2 as well... but I will still try to do something about it.

There you go, thats the spirit. Offer suggestions so leap frogging groups of zombie rezzing medics can be curbed before they take over everything.
  19. axiom537

/Agree - We have been discussing this in another thread, but here are my suggestions to fixing this situation without nerfing the medic directly.

1. Reduce the number of revives a player can receive - 1 for a MAX and 2 or 3 for Infantry.
    2. Allow players a mechanic to force dead player to respawn.
  20. VonGrimm

Okay, how many times have you seen an enemy revive and you watch for the corpse to "accept" the revive. The entire time you have your sights...waiting...waiting for that moment he stands and the lag before he starts to move to get that cheap kill. I freakin do it all the time now...not a proud moment, but meh...
    • Up x 2