[Suggestion] PS2 engine would make a great FFA MMO

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by VoidMagic, Sep 25, 2013.

1. VoidMagic

was supposed to be in off topic... /sorry

so weird.
  2. Kristan

Actually it's a guinea pig for Everquest Next.
  3. Aegie

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  4. Kunavi

I feel a strange kind of pain... Usually the kind that comes with sore realisation. Such as what Kristan said. Question is, where will PS2 go when they are done experimenting? Or rather, where shall we go when it starts stalling? I'd like to think that by then it will have more competition; It has spoiled me enough to feel that COD/BF/ARMA are not as different as PS2... It's done a few things right.
  5. Axehilt

The no-brainer reskin is World War 2. Especially given the strange period of no recent WW2 FPSes being released (after a few years where it was all we saw.)

They just have to create a better-scaling system for creating and dominating continents first, so that pop limits can be significantly smaller (which will dramatically reduce the impact of population imbalance, and naturally penalize you more for joining the overpopulated side than an underpopulated one.) Still massive (PS1's 200 players per empire per continent still had epic 200v200v200 wars) but considerably smaller than the current pop limits (which create lopsided fights at most hours of the day.)

As for FFA MMOs, those are just bad. It's even worse PVP than we have now. Good PVP revolves around skillful competition. Population and progression imbalances detract from skillful competition (they make winning about either out-zerging or playing longer than your opponents.)