PS2 Crash, event name "BEX".

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by AtotehZ, Mar 17, 2013.

1. AtotehZ

Hello,

I get this error when my game crashes:
    Code:
    Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:    BEX
      Application Name:    PlanetSide2.exe
      Application Version:    0.0.0.0
      Fault Module Timestamp:    5142c804
      Fault Module Name:    StackHash_0a9e
      Fault Module Version:    0.0.0.0
      Tidsstempel for fejlmodul:    00000000
      Exception Offset:    00000002
      Exception Code:    c0000005
      Exception Data:    00000008
      OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
      Locale ID:    1030
      Additional Information 1:    0a9e
      Additional Information 2:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
      Additional Information 3:    0a9e
      Additional Information 4:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    I have been trying to figure out what is wrong, and here is what I have found out so far.

BEX: Indicates a buffer overflow (/GS) or DEP exception (BEX64 indicates a buffer overflow (/GS) or DEP exception on 64-bit versions of Windows)

I have tried to disable DEP for PlanetSide2.exe, but it won't let me. Windows tells me that DEP has to be on for PlanetSide2.exe. I have also tried forcing the program to run as administrator, but the problem persists.

I know how to disable DEP altogether, but that isn't healthy for the computer.

Do you have a fix for this?
  2. SourCarbon

I was getting the same BEX error from DEP when trying to run Steam on a Vista 64 bit machine. You can control the behavior (and whether you can configure individual programs via the DEP screen) by setting the DEP level in the boot.ini file. To edit it, you should use bcdedit from a command line (with administrator privileges).

To allow yourself the ability to exclude exe's from DEP, you run:
    bcdedit /set nx Optout

Optout sounds like it turns it off, but it doesn't - just gives you the ability to opt out (explanation:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff542202(v=vs.85).aspx). Once you make the change you have to reboot for it to take effect. Once rebooted, you should be able to exclude an individual program from DEP via the System(windows key+Break)->Advanced Settings->Advanced Tab->Performance Settings->Data Execution Prevention tab screen.
  3. AtotehZ

Thanks,
    I tried it out, but it didn't help me. It won't let me opt out PlanetSide2.exe. It is fine with other exe's, but it won't let me touch PlanetSide2.exe. It looks like the command you gave me does is the same as clicking the button in "Performance Settings->Data Execution Prevention tab screen". Does it do more than that? Do you have other solutions?