Prowlerside 2

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Dethonlegs, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Dethonlegs

Anyone else looking forward to prowlerside 2? Where any roaming prowler can turn into a DPS monster on the move and in lockdown can snipe with increased accuracy.

These changes may reduce their overall DPS in a zurg but I am concerned it will drastically chage the balance of power in smaller / more competitive vehicle engagements where anchored mode was rarely used (especially against a magrider)

Good prowler drivers know all they need to do is charge at a magrider to get the win - no lockdown needed. This will be overkill.

Not looking forward to it at all.
    • Up x 2
  2. T.A.94

I am not concerned at all by this change. I don't know if you played around 2013 when the reload time was around 1 sec and I can enshure you, THAT was stupid.
    I mean it is even a nerf of 18% compared to the previous lockdown ability.
    • Up x 1
  3. typnct

Imo we need to see this change go live before we judge it because it might turn out for the best because there wont be mountain sniper tanks camping around and might turn it to be a more interesting change in tank combat for everyone
    But i am concerned that it might make the prowler too much effective against magriders
    • Up x 1
  4. Dethonlegs

TBH lockdown has never been an issue for me (as a Magrider vehicle main). Can't speak for the Vangaurd.

Lockdown just meant someone focused on their target and mostly ignorant of anything around them - easy to flank and kill. At distance you can always retreat and repair and if in a mag, easily dodge and return fire on a non moving target.

As per everything since Wrel graced us, it's about reducing the impact of vehicle spam on infantry. This change does that somewhat but the tradeoff has totally changed the "lockdown" premise and introduced the biggest prowler change to date, throwing MBT balance totally out of whack.

I like to hunt / flank and not run with the zerg. CAI has already screwed over that strategy and this change will make taking on a single prowler even harder as they can now maneuver AND increase DPS to counter. Being flanked by prowler with barrage will go from "why are you running, you're going to die anyway" to pre CAI insta gib. F that.
  5. DelithiumOxide

I spend a lot of time in a prowler.
    The prowlers need something, they are the easiest to kill vehicle in the game.
    I always felt their faction bonus should have been the ability to load multiple projectile types and swap as needed in battle.
    Also their two turrets should reload separately... not wait for both to fire. (maybe it does now, will see when servers are back up)

Man with c4/rocket vs prowler, man wins (unless you get a lucky shot).
    ATV vs prowler ATV wins
    (unless you get a lucky shot).
    Aircraft vs Prowler aircraft wins
    (unless you get a lucky shot).
    Magrider or Vangaurd vs Prowler - both at a dead stop firing at max rate, the Vangaurd or Magrider will do more damage per shot, and fire more shots off than an anchored prowler and be at half health when the prowler blows up.

Try driving a prowler, you are not going to snipe anything with that slow projectile speed and drop.
    In the time between firing a prowler projectile, and that same projectile hitting close to where you aimed, a harasser can move out of line of fire, turn around, come back into line of fire, and move away again. I don't even bother shooting them I just ram them, and shoot them when they stop.
  6. frozen north

I too have spent a lot of time with the prowler, and I found it to be the inverse. Granted, I was always running with another veteran tanker whenever I was using a prowler, so experience definitely helped.

As for your AT math...

Hate to break it to you, but anchored mode gave the prowler a damage edge, no matter the opponent. Assuming perfect accuracy, an AP halberd prowler that locked down could drop any tank and live to tell about it ( save for a shielded vanguard with AP halberd) with plenty of health to spare. In fact, dead stop perfect accuracy, vanguard with shield is the only thing that could beat a maxed lock down prowler, and thats only because a shielded, full health vanguard can't be beaten in single combat from the front, regardless of opponent.

Prowler also has almost 50% higher main cannon DPS ( equivalent for equivalent) then the vanguard, and that's before you count anchored mode. Also, anchored gives the best projectile speed on the market for MBT main cannons ( 325m/s with AP at its old 30% buff). So if a prowler can't snipe it, no tank can. Plus, there is an element of practice makes perfect to every tank. I don't mean that as offensive either. All I mean, is that struggling to get used to shooting is something you will need to do to get better at long range fire.

Easy to kill, I won't deny. They have the same HP as magrider, but can't fire on the move nearly as effectively, nor can they dodge side to side. However, you have the best damage potential. The trick is to simply treat the prowler like a glass cannon instead of a bunker. Win fights, pull back, repair, repeat. Only take chances when they are in your favor, and exploit cover, and a prowler with lockdown becomes a monster of an opponent.

Infantry... that's the same with every tank, and theirs a really simple solution to the problem, called proximity radar. I personally have never found a use for stealth, and proxy helps with both rockets and C4, while flanker helps only with C4. As for air power, every tank is weak to air. Your a big slow target after all. And every MBT has the same solution. Strap on a ranger, and your aces.

All a matter of perspective and play-style I suppose though.
    • Up x 1
  7. Liewec123

yep, lets buff the best performing MBT, genius XD
    what did the worst MBT get, mjolnir nerf, yup!
  8. Pacster3

Since when does the Magrider have Mjolnir?
    • Up x 2
  9. Liewec123

when it became the worst performing MBT, oh wait... :p
  10. \m/SLAYER\m/

It's because you never was on receiving side. I thought same about Magriders, OP tank etc, i tried to drive it - not easy at all, but i can say, it still more fun then driving Vanguard

after total tanks nerf rebalance, can't survive vanguard more than 90 sec, without single kill. it was brick, it becomes half-covered by shield brick, when you can do better with harasser, no need to pull expensive MBT.
  11. Sprant Flere-Imsaho

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  12. Mhorlok

Prowlers suck with the changes... Rate of fire way to slow - still can't move against strafing Magriders and NC's already insane damage got boosted...

Faster rounds are useless if you can't hit a strafing tank while Mags get 0 drop insta hit rounds...

I really question the validity of your data. I believe you are reading causation without understanding the correlation the data presents...

Prowlers "Score higher" because 90% of the time you see waves of Prowlers locked down shooting at bases - stationary targets...

Prowler vs Vanguard = can't beat the shield unless the gunner really sucks vanguard wins every time
    Prowler vs magrider - mag just dances back and forth with it's no drop almost instant hits while the prowler drops 50% of their hits to staring so doing 1/2 the damage they normally would...

I would prefer all of the Prowler damage in a single shot vs the 2 half shots we get today... there you hit its full damage...

Show me the stats on that - basically show me the numbers where you completely remove where target hits are construction pieces and compare those...

Connery right now TR has 0 bases but we have 33 % of the population - leave the warp gate instagibbed by a moljnir...
    I do data for a living and I have to seriously question Daybreaks ability to understand their own data, especially based on the changes made...
    Perhaps if the lead Dev wasn't a dedicated NC TR would get some love but this is sad really really sad...
  13. Xipoid1

Yup, someone up there doesn't like TR.
  14. Xipoid1

Now the Magrider or Vangard can spot if prowler uses barriage, wait 15 secs and rush to the prowler who has little fire power and defence for the next 30 seconds. Even a ligtning can do the job.
  15. DelithiumOxide

If you view a prowler as difficult to kill, then you are likely shooting at a prowler that is locked down, with 2 or more engineers repairing it...
  16. adamts01

That's the exact argument everyone uses against the Vanguard. People are just going around in circles at this point. It's comical.
    • Up x 1
  17. Pacster3

Yeah. I can imagine that those that defended the vanguard shield with that stupid argument gonna now see what a huge advantage those seconds are when they get ripped apart by prowlers. The whole "bait out the shield/barrage, hide and then take them out"-thing only works against noobs...
  18. adamts01

Pretty much. Now the Prowler and Vanguard
    Will be pretty close in performance. I'm waiting for server latency to get fixed before I bother with this game again, so I won't be testing it any time soon. All that's left is the Magrider now. But it'll have to give up its terrain climbing ability if it's going to be changed to fight head to head with the other MBTs. I say mostly leave it, but maybe let it boost in any direction.
  19. Demigan

Yeah! Especially since a Lightning AP with frontal armor to the Prowler will lose from an unachored 1/2 Prowler with side-armor exposed in a full slugfest! Before CAI the 1/2 Prowler could win (without Anchor) with it's rear-armor exposed!

Oh wait you have your TR goggles on and are absolutely horribly biased!

NC's damage got boosted? "Insane damage"? You realise that an AP Prowler with one volley deals 1200 damage while an AP Vanguard deals a whopping 850 damage (350 less!)? That's almost 50% more damage than the Vanguard! If the Vannie somehow has "insane" damage the Prowler would have absolutely ludicrous damage. TR goggles much?

Magriders have notiriously had the largest drop since launch due to the slowest projectile speeds while sporting similar drop per second, so your idea that they have no drop is a sure sign you are biased. Also if you can't regularily hit a strafing tank with 375m/s shells (fastest of the Vanguard is 275m/s) then you are horrible. Considering that the fastest next weapon is the Vanguard with 100m/s less it would mean the Magrider and Vanguard would be truly impossible to use against strafing targets.

Irony.

Prowlers score higher because their mix of capabilities, their speed, maneuverability, high DPS, dual-shot making it easy to dial in range etc all make for a damn fine vehicle.

Prowler can easily win. Engage, if the Vanguard engages shield, repair up behind cover or get in close so you can hit the side/rear and win anyway. At range you can often even just keep engaging and still win if you use movement to your advantage. And guess what, you can now increase your DPS while on the move! Hurrah!

Magrider has 250m/s shots at maximum, this is the exact same as the Prowler. So where do those insta-hits come from? Where does that no-drop come from? You are biased and not seeing clearly.
    Also in a Prowler vs Magrider combat the Magrider is now hopelessly outgunned by the Prowler due to the Prowler being able to massively out-DPS the Magrider while still being able to move and maneuver.

You want your Prowler nerfed? You don't really oversee the consequences do you? Two shots allows for much easier dialing in of range and getting hits on enemies, it also reduces the punishment of a miss and with the OHK shells against infantry the Prowler is a beast against them because of the high ROF it can bring to bear.

Eh, what? I can show you this:
    http://planetside.wikia.com/wiki/Vehicle_armor_and_damage_resistance

This shows you what damage modifiers you have for hitting the front/top/sides/back and what extra modifiers there are for a specific weapon against a specific target.

You do data for a living... But you can't even get the data straight of the projectile velocity or how much "insane" damage a Vanguard does compared to a Prowler? I really hope you can do better than that.
  20. Dethonlegs

Had some time to play on the weekend and yep, it's bad for the Magrider. In a head to head in close the prowler will win with half health using barrage. I even caught one from behind, my gunner and I landing one rear shot each, and it still managed to kill us (technically a draw as we both died). This is pure OP BS.

I wouldn't call barrage an "i win" button as a prowler would have won anyway in a head to head without it, however it would have been much closer and if the prowler screwed up then you had a chance. Now you got nothing.

As for talk of an "omniburn" for the mag - that idea is plain garbage. If you've spent any time in one you know that magburning into anything will deal you damage. Just reversing into an object at speed can kill you. Omniburn is a buff for the opposition as mags will be self destructing all over the place.

The solution is simple. Increase magburn duration by a second and you're done.
    • Up x 1