Prowler Totally Not OP vs Hives

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by guerrillaman, Aug 24, 2016.

1. JKomm

I should make something very clear about this... Prowler is not overpowered in this regard, it has simply always been the best vehicle in the game for sustainable DPS on a stationary target. The issue here is with the Construction itself, all three factions have the exact same structures, this causes an unnatural balance due to empire specific weaponry such as the Prowler.

In this regard, Prowlers are not overpowered, but NC and VS structures are underpowered in layout. Simple solution? NC and VS gain access to a special Shield Wall Module, it's intent? All nearby Rampart Walls get a regenerative energy shield that extends above the metallic barrier, this only will stop vehicle munitions such as tank shells; infantry(Namely Light Assaults) and small arms fire can pass through these barriers much the same as the shields we see throughout Auraxis. Why add this? It gives NC and VS bases extra defense for their towers against an Anchor Prowler, but not making them invulnerable... the shield can sustain damage but it can be knocked down, in which case it takes time to regenerate. This is ample time to defend against a Prowler no matter the range it is firing from.
    • Up x 1
  2. Moridin6

right but then what to They get to stop me from sniping their hive's core from the side of something a vanny/prowler couldnt get to/stay on?
  3. JKomm

Are you talking about the Magrider's climbing advantage? If a base is built in such a way where the enemy has elevation that isn't blocked by the Skywall, then the base was poorly made. The only vehicles that should be able to shoot between the gab of a Rampart Wall and Skywall to hit critical constructs are ESFs and Liberators, if ground vehicles are negating your defenses then that is a poor base layout.
  4. Pelojian

there's nothing wrong with the prowler, it's a siege tank, note the siege part before construction that siege would purely be focused on long range threats that could evade.

if prowlers roll up to siege your base you need to counter attack and flank them, like literally every modern base defense. you sally out to engage the enemy and destory the units that threaten your base the most.

bases are not meant to be used solely as a garrison, you need units inside the base keeping it up and people on the turrets and units to move out and flank the enemy and go on the offensive while the base units provide supporting fire with turrets.
  5. guerrillaman

Again if a single person is in the base, you aren't sniping anything. You will be pushed away. Easily.

The AA, AI and AV turrets are all effective at dealing with both the vanguard and magrider at their effective ranges.
  6. guerrillaman

No one is saying there isn't a way to defend against it, or at least try. The problem is TR doesn't have to worry about this when defending their own bases.
  7. Pelojian

so in other words prowler is OP because of asymetrical balance? does that make the vortexes and lancers OP for VS when they are the attackers?

all factions can and do destory bases with infantry, armor and air using their best tools for the job. there's nothing wrong with prowlers and everything wrong with most players ignoring strategy and threats and treating the game like a FPS and not a tactical FPSMMO.
  8. guerrillaman

No. VS and NC basically have to attack the same ways. This is plainly because their effective ranges against a base is the same as the defenders.

Prowlers deliver long range ultra high dps out of the effective range of the defenders. Mana turrets, base turrets, phoenix missiles, lock on launchers are all completely useless against the lockdown prowler shelling base defenses at 250m+. However those same weapons are quite effective against magriders/vanguards.
  9. Taemien

If you see anything that looks red. It might be a TR player. In this event, just abandon your base and redeploy. With luck they won't destroy it before the redeploy goes off and gank you (remember, any death against TR counts as 10 deaths, they're that powerful that you'll have to respawn 9 more times). You're out of luck if they see you first. You'll already be dead.. 10 times.

Stay on the continents where there is less red. If they are playing both continents, just log off and find another server. If they have all the servers it might be a good choice to find another game.

Its no guarantee though. TR players can kill you across games. The vulcan was even shredding mechs in Road to Madre in MechWarrior 3:pirates Moon. That's how far it can reliably hit things, as far back as 1997.
  10. Pelojian

it's called closing the distance and getting into your own effective range, i suggest you look at WW2 tank strategies against panzers they were heavy armored and armed and had a longer effective range against British crusader tanks. the solution was to use defensive dispersion tactics and superior numbers to get into their own effective range to fight against the panzers.

you have to use similar tactics to defeat prowlers shelling at long range in the absence of population superiority you have to resort to flanking and stealth moves to take them out.

let's not forget that NC and VS both can stand at long range and shell bases as well the only difference is quality vs quantity. if prowlers are on a hill shelling at range focus enough firepower on one to destroy or badly damage it and then focus on the others if you can't do that then get a friend or several pull some vehicles from another base and flank and attack them by surprise.

prowlers in lockdown most of the time end up tunnel visioning and become easy to flank and kill.

there's nothing wrong with prowlers, the issue lies with your own (and your allies) skill.
    • Up x 1
  11. Slandebande

First of all, Vulcans? Really? VS has the Aphelion which is comparable in CQC, and has ranged capabilities any Vulcan user can only dream about. I mean, I could understand if you were NC.

Secondly, in my opinion, the only reason people deem the Prowler OP, is because it is a great farming platform, while not having much impact on the fights (especially the larger ones), since they are typically sitting further away. If you want to actually have an impact on the larger fights you generally have to move in closer, to ranges where even moderately-skilled enemies should be able to easily hit you (and experienced enemies will hit you on the first shot regardless of distance, I've personally hit 600-700m shots without range-finding in a Magrider and routinely pull off the 500m shots if I'm not rusty). Keep in mind I'm shooting at stationary Prowlers.

As soon as the enemies force the Prowlers to move in closer, they are so very easy to kill. It is also reflected in my preferrence in fighting the TR when I'm on my NC or VS. Maybe my experience using Prowlers helps, but I really feel they are by far the MBT that requires the least effort to bring down, especially in groups. Flanking a group of Prowlers (with the intention of killing them all) requires much less effort, but also feels much safer compared to flanking a group of Vanguards/Magriders, but that is of course just my experience.

The primary issue with the GK in my opinion is the ease of use, allowing it to be too strong in the hands of rookies. In this specific context it is completely irrelevant though, as the Enforcer, Halberd etc can perform exactly the same job, as you should be able to hit stationary structures regardless of the weapon. Against vehicles and other moving targets, it allows the rookies to perform to a moderately-competitive level, although they are still going to be outperformed by experienced NC/VS users of the other AV-weapons, especially in their favorable nichés. The Halberd still trumps it in versatility within ranges where tanks are actually dangerous as well, simply because it is so easy for an experienced MBT crew to exploit the inherent weakness' of the GK. A bonus fact is that the exact same strategies that are effective at countering the GK, also work very well against Prowlers. GK-equipped Prowlers are typically the easiest MBTs to take out (of the ones actually sporting AV-weaponry) for those reasons combined with the crew typically being worse than one equipping the Halberd or a niché weapon (like the Vulcan).

I'm personally never using the GK on my Prowlers, except the rare occasions where my gunners for some reason request it. I should note that I'm also rarely sitting on a hill 500m away, because I enjoy actually having an impact on fights (especially the larger ones) and you won't really be able to do that sitting so far away.

I'm routinely out-ranging the player-made base turrets in both a Magrider and Vanguard as well, but I will of course need some back-up if the base is properly built. In my experience though, the bases that are poorly built (like the ones where enemies have clear lines of fire for 500m) are destroyed easily and without much effort, regardless of the faction.

How about trying to think about base-placements instead of just placing them in the riverbeds of Esamir (exaggerated for effect, but come on, you position your base so it can be completely destroyed by a single Prowler from 500m?)? It isn't impossible to construct bases in places where the Prowler crews will have to actually put in an effort, by forcing them closer.

Would it honestly be much better if people had to use 2 tanks to do it? Because that's all it takes for the other factions. Before you claim they cannot hit at the distances the Prowler can: If you cannot hit stationary targets, you need to practice.

Ah, so you have resorted to reporting people for something that isn't an offense, and is likely just going to waste valuable time for the staff handling reports. People like you are why report-systems are never really effective, because they get convoluted by people reporting for all sorts of silly reasons (like being butt-hurt in this case). Now, I'm sorry for the harsh tone, but I honestly really find it distasteful when people abuse such systems solely to vent som steam. Go buy a punching-bag or something and get some excercise while you are at it, it's much healthier for you, and better for the game as a whole! :)

First of all, when you write "sway" are you sure that you don't mean "recoil" instead? I'm asking since "sway" is typically a breath-related movement that is independent of you firing your weapon (try using the long-range bolt-action snipers in the game to get a feel for what most people would define as "sway"). I've personally never noticed what I would define as "sway" in the over 1k hours I've spent in tanks.

The thing you are talking about, after firing your weapon, it jumps slightly, forcing you to pull down your sights in order to be able to hit the target again right? That recoil is completely predictable, although it can be hard to predict when you are on un-even ground. Furthermore, the Prowler also has this, and I would argue that it is MUCH harder to compensate for in a Prowler, as you simply have to pull the trigger so much faster, compared to in a Vanguard. When you fire your Titan weapon you will have at least 3½ seconds to readjust your aim. Assuming a fully-certed Anchor Prowler with maxed reloads, you have to fire a round every 1,2 seconds or so, albeit slightly lower recoil value, but still MUCH more frequent.

Hmm, the Magrider barely has any recoil at all, which makes me think you might instead be thinking about the "projectile gravity" since that is the only "physical property" factor where I can recall the Magrider being worse than the Vanguard. Are you describing how much (or how fast of a) drop the projectiles have?

Wait, are you claiming that the Magrider/Vanguard cannot hit stationary targets at ranges the Prowler can? :rolleyes: Because that sounds like a serious L2P issue! Hitting stationary objects should be child's play, honestly. The ONLY advantage the Prowler has in that regard (destroying player-made bases) is the higher DPS (which is an advantage, granted), but the superior range of the Prowler (when equipped with Anchor of course, otherwise it is inferior to the Vanguard) is ONLY relevant when firing upon moving targets.
    • Up x 1
  12. Moridin6

im not talking hypothetical, ive done this about a sozen times already, to bases that were held by way more than One person..

come from behind, spider up mountain, snipe the shield mod then the hive, boom. hell ive taken out hives by myself as a stalker, you think i cant with maggy? lol

the point is you start tailoring construction to counter faction traits and the tr are going to need a counter to us as well. what then
  13. Moridin6

but if your base is built in such a way that ONE TANK can take it out from Extreme distance, you built it just fine?
  14. JKomm

No... other people even stated where if your entire base is vulnerable from a distant location then the position of your base is in itself flawed. A Prowler takes advantage of this the most but it's certainly not the only tool available that can take down turrets at long range. Hell, even setting up your own Spear turret at a distant location might be comparable to a Prowler, perhaps not in DPS but certainly in sustainable fire.
    • Up x 1
  15. Sergio Lima

I only see Prowlers, Prowlers and Prowlers in this tread. Vanguard+Enforce can do the same, easyly take out Base Turret from distance too. Maggy cam spider moutains and fire on our modules.

Why cant you all post a video of Maggy and Vanguard destruing bases? Oh only a video o Prowler, and it a doomsday for bases. sic.
    • Up x 1
  16. Scatterblak

The other vehicles aren't supposed to be able to do that. I've got a Mag Rider that I *guarantee* I can get places where no one has ever taken a prowler. This game would *suck* if everything was exactly the same. It's dangerously close to balance at the expense of gameplay now.
    • Up x 1
  17. guerrillaman

Context.

Single gunner Vanguard -> auto repair outpaces dmg

Single gunner Prowler -> dmg outpaces autorepair PLUS someone ran up and starting repairing it manually

18. King_Shano

You know the vanguard in that video is running Heat right? Bet reload isn't maxed either. And he takes a lot of time to line up shots even after he's reloaded. Just saying.
    Either way I do understand, prowler has higher dps, really don't know what else to say.
  19. guerrillaman

Its a pretty standard prowler with first stage lockdown/reload ap/gk and a vanguard with first stage reload.

I have absolutely no trouble keeping that prowler stable at long distances. The vanguard is a *****.
  20. RainbowDash9

So you have to use tactics to defend your base against an enemy? shouldnt you be doing that in the first place? us TR have to do that too. why does it matter if its one tank or two? either way if you cant defend your **** you're screwed.

The way i see it, if its only a few people at the base, you were going to get rekt no matter what tank was attacking. If your base has a decent amount of people (you know, like its supposed to), you'll be fine unless the other faction is coordinated, which you seem to be allergic to. "Oh i have to ATTACK the enemy? PROWLER OP" Boi shut yo mouth.

And dont say that whole "Prowler can just sit back" crap, because the other tanks can too (albeit it a little more difficult, horrible i know) and the whole out dps repair module thing, great they blew up the turrets. now what? and if they can get to your hive without having to destroy anything else, i hate to tell you, but that base shouldnt exist in the first place.

What people seem to be lacking these days is common sense. dont just slap **** down willy nilly. THINK about your choices, think of possible attacks from either faciton, have a plan A AND B, and dont whine when you lose.
    • Up x 1