Proposal: Optional pay-for-monthly server.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Earthman, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phazaar

Terrible idea, for the reasons already stated in this thread and the dozens of others that have suggested the same thing. Also, there's a suggestions forum for a reason (that reason is such that I don't have to read the same thing being suggested once a week)...
    • Up x 1
  2. Phazaar

Firstly, burden of proof most definitely falls on you to demonstrate how hack-ridden the game is... A neutral state of the game would be either an absence of hackers, or from a more realistic mindset, a very small minority of hackers. If you're feeling the problem is larger than that, it's your claim that is unsubstatiated, and holds the burden.

With that said, I'm not sure anyone needs to link videos for that regardless. If you'd like to see some though, how about you jump on Twitch and start watching any one of the thousands of gamers that really think there's entertainment value to viewers when they stream their self-affirming drivel for 6 hours of straight gameplay... You'll note that it's almost impossible to find any hackusations in the best players' Twitch channels, even in hours of gameplay at a time.
    • Up x 2
  3. HMR85

I do not believe you or Earthman for that matter really know the difference between what hacking and legitimate game play is. You state you had three instances of a guy cloaking just out of the clear blue when you brought your weapon to bare on them . But yet your sure its a hack and wasn't just a spur of the moment thing the other player did.

You also state, well guys see me even while I'm cloak. I can pop up behind them and they know I am there. The real question is do you know the difference between what a great player is looking at and what a mediocre player is looking at in a situation like that? They are using Visual and audio ques. Along with team mates making a call out that a Infiltrator may be here.

A great player is listening for the cloak sound (Each faction is unique). A great player is watching the mini-map for little blips that pop up here or there. A great player is listening to his team mates updating him on a possible infiltrator near him. Now lets take into the fact that this game is client side (Is it the best model, probably not but it does come with a downside). This is what tricks so many players into assuming the other player is hacking when in reality you appeared on the other players screen first and he was able to register shots on you before you even knew he was there.

Example: We both where coming around a corner. On my screen you registered as already around the corner and I started to lay into you with gunfire. On your screen, you died before you even got around the corner and saw me. Was it because I was hacking? No, My client just registered you before yours did.

Another example: You where getting shot and you died as you where running around a corner. On your screen you registered as already being behind the wall so you shouldn't of been taking damage anymore. However, on my screen you haven't even made the corner yet and died short of it. Does it mean I was hacking? No. My client just registered you as not being around the corner yet thus all my round nailed you dropping you.

This is the Achilles heel of client side hit detection also the biggest culprit for most people making baseless claims about others hacking. Now, I am not saying there isn't hackers in the game. There are, I just think a lot people have trouble differentiating between legit and not legitimate hacks.
    • Up x 2
  4. Earthman

Hacking is so neutral that Smedley made it a personal priority before the game even began, and had quite a staff of GMs that up until recently have been a constant presence.

You're presuming that their absence means that cheating has gone down?

I suppose you also presume crime goes down in Detroit when a police department closes and stops reporting in that immediate area. :rolleyes:
  5. Earthman

We can have a quality-of-life appeal then:

To a lot of people (ignored usually by the self-declared elite here), the difference is enough to look elsewhere for entertainment. And unless you're fine with this being (another) tiny country club of shrinking interest and relevance (like Mechwarrior Online), it's best to at the very least acknowledge concerns instead of smugly dismiss them.

Frankly, I'd be fine with a return of GM presence. Anecdote or not, the game often seems a lot more fun when they show up and fights seem cleaner.
  6. BloodyG

Funny didn't know that Medic's and HA can cloak now, sure i don't know the diffrence blablabla
  7. HMR85

You know, there is this old saying from idk, 1960's out there that a guy stated that I think a lot of you follow to the T.

" If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

Now just apply that to this conversation. No, its not elitist, it just players that realize that the hacks are not nearly as rampant as some of you seem to believe they are.
    • Up x 1
  8. HMR85

Then make sure next time you write a sentence you clearly state medic or HA. No where in all of that blob of text did you state HA or Medic. Feel free to go back and point it out.
    • Up x 1
  9. BloodyG

sorry, i forget that most people have no commen sences anymore...
  10. Phazaar

PR has nothing to do with neutral states of a game. Hacking is a priority of every game developer/operator. Most games don't have abundant hacking. The two are connected. Your point that despite this connection, there is an abundance of hacking in PS2 requires more proof than 'your feelings' or even 100 youtube videos of hackers playing (after all, that makes up 100 players... Of 350,000 so far, that's a pretty hysterically small minority).

I'm presuming that they were never present in the first place, in fact. The whole 'robots are watching you play' thing was, in my mind, far more likely to be PR than actual active policing - them time it takes before obvious hackers get banned does not seem to have changed at all. Regardless, given that you're attributing enough weight to Smedley's 'personal priorities' to use it to attempt to rebuke my point, if you now wish to use a change that he has since made to his approach to this to rebuke that point, once again, you're going to need far more proof than simple circumstance of hilariously incomparable analogies.

If there ever were active GMs (and whether there are or not now, which we do not know; we're eternally subject to guessing based upon the 'Drones are watching you sleep' nonsense), I would find it far easier to believe (based on my own experience of the game -literally months of in game time, and virtually 0 hackers - and Smedley's awfully reliable 'personal priorities') that they are no longer required as the anti-cheat coding in the game is proving effective enough that active GMs are not cost effective or in any way required to provide a great hack free gaming experience.

I'd also point out though, I don't presume cheating has gone down. I presume it was never there in the first place. There were a few exploiters, and a few hilariously overt hacks around for a couple of days between big updates and stealth patches that addressed the weaknesses, but other than that, I more or less never see hackers; certainly as infrequently as to make it probably my lowest priority with progressing the game.
    • Up x 2
  11. Earthman

Your iron wall of denial shows there's not much more to discuss with you.
  12. HMR85

Baseless attacks prove you have no argument.
    • Up x 2
  13. maxkeiser

Scout radar? You were spotted? ESF radar etc etc? They saw you (I have no problem seeing cloaked infiltrators and frequently hunt them down - the sound is also a give-away)?
  14. Phazaar

Your unwillingness/inability to provide evidence to support thoroughly unsubstantiated claims shows there was never anything to discuss the in first place, sadly.
    • Up x 2
  15. Earthman

Uh huh. "Sadly" because I don't have the foresight to FRAPS in anticipation of placating one piece of postmodernist prattle where you'll never be satisfied with your evidence because you're satisfied with your own point of view, with an equal lack of evidence.

But wait, no, it's no longer equal. Let me humor you, not in your specific little request, but something that for most people without the selfish bias might find to be enough:

(Removed links due to unaware-until-now forum violation)

These are from the last week alone. And took about 20 seconds of my time to link, which is more than you are worth.

I'd link the sites that sell (and advertise number of subscribers) their wares but I'd rather not chance malware and viruses on your behalf.

At this point you're just in denial and would like to pretend it never/doesn't happen because it's more convenient for you.
  16. HMR85

Hey, great job putting links to hacks...You really thought that through didn't you. Good one Einstein.
    Lock this **** down devs.
  17. Earthman

So you're telling me Phazaar baited me into some forum content violation?

Well, it shows his level of integrity. And yours, indirectly.
  18. BloodyG

^ look some posts above

i play >60% of playtime as Infi, i know we can cloak i know radar etc. thats my daily bread, we can see the darts on minimap.

Scoutradar needs a Flash nearby no Flash no radar, i speak about situations where i'm sure what happens around me, in smaller fights not the >48 vs >48 bloodbaths where nobody knows what when hit them.

If i would i could script a cheattable in 5min that would make me God among God's, i know what is possible and i know alot of other people can do that aswell, not even a special hacktool would be needed for PS2 because there is nothing SOE does to prevent it and THATS the prob, we need a anticheat-tool not 100moderators who the hell will pay them?

And again to the people who are against this are:
    a) naive
    b) use hacks themself
    c) donkeys....
  19. HMR85

As I stated to Bloody, baseless attacks for somebody who has no clue what they are talking about. I'm not the genius who linked to hacks. That is on you my friend.
    • Up x 1
  20. Earthman

So according to you I had "no clue" and so when I showed him exactly what he demanded you get to twist it into some sort of retroactive moral victory.

It's little wonder you don't see cheats in game. You feel in good company. :rolleyes:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.