Producer's Letter

Discussion in 'Official News and Announcements' started by Sites, Feb 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sites Executive Producer, Planetside 2

Hey everyone,

My name is Andy Sites and I’m the Director of Development of PlanetSide 2. While you may not have seen me a lot, I’ve been working with the PlanetSide 2 team for a number of years. As you’ve no doubt read this week, as part of the company-wide restructuring, the Planetside 2 team was impacted. Even though we had anticipated some changes, it’s never easy to see creative, hardworking and all around great people leave the team. That said, we are so fortunate that much of our team is still intact and excited to be part of PlanetSide 2’s future.

I know that some of these changes might have been unexpected and a surprise to our community, but I can tell you that we’re still fully supporting the game; this includes the current Live (PC) game, as well as continuing to move forward with our PlayStation 4 launch in the coming months (to see the latest PS4 updates,
    visit https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/planetside-2-closed-beta-update.214795/)

With that being said, let’s talk about a few things that you can expect in the coming days and weeks.

First, we know how anxious all of you have been to see a Roadmap from the team and you can expect a revised one to go up later next week. We pride ourselves in being very open and transparent in our dev process, and frankly we’ve not done a good job sharing our short and long-term plans with you in recent months. While you can expect some slight format changes to the way it’s laid out, your feedback is crucial on the content/features/etc. listed, to help us better prioritize or efforts. Ultimately, our goal with the roadmap will be to share more information, provide better expectations on when things will be delivered, and make it the reliable source of information we have always intended for it to be.

In addition, our top priority will be refining the Live game (bug fixing, optimizing, network performance, etc.) and improving the in-game quality of life. We’ve dedicated a lot of time since the new year to addressing these issues, and we will continue to do so until we collectively (dev and the community) feel that the game is on a more solid footing. That’s not to say we won’t make occasional gameplay tuning adjustments and marketplace additions, but those efforts will be secondary to improving the overall near-term quality of the game.

Finally, on behalf of the dev team, I’d like to think you for the kind words of support on the message boards and through DMs. It has been a long week for everyone involved, but the team is excited to get started on the next leg of our journey and start sharing with you the great things we have in store going forward.

Take care, and we’ll see you online.

- Andy
    • Up x 82
  2. LordMatt XLVIII

Thank you. You have no idea how much support this voice of reason provides to this community in turmoil.
    • Up x 7
  3. boryahjasper

Thank you for the update! :)
    • Up x 2
  4. Atenson

We look forward to hearing more from you. Thank you for the update.
    • Up x 2
  5. Keldrath

Great, that's what we really need, all of that has gotten much worse in recent months and I hope it can finally get taken care of.

Don't forget to sneak in the Godsaw changes, I would hate for that to get dropped when it was so close to coming to live.
    • Up x 3
  6. mersh21

THANK YOU!!!!! We really needed something to get people to have faith.

will be looking forward to that roadmap!
    • Up x 3
  7. Nojoe365

This is something that the game has needed for the past 2 years. I am glad to see that you guys are getting your priorities straight. I salute SOE and look forward to the refined version of the game that you guys will be making.
    • Up x 2
  8. NyaR

Just do that and I'll like you more than SOE.
    • Up x 6
  9. vanu123

Good, so I won't have to go start making tire fires.
    Seriously though this was desperately needed, as long as you guys remain open and willing to listen to our (sometimes overly aggressive and angry feedback) I think this will workout fine in the long run.
    • Up x 1
  10. Crator

Thanks for the update... Congratulations on the promotion. Look forward to seeing the new roadmap next week!
    • Up x 2
  11. ThuddenBlunder

Thank you for the update.

...yells over shoulder, "Open up the doors of the bunker, there's hope after all." :)
    • Up x 2
  12. LordMatt XLVIII

He never said that there will not be any new content, he simply stated that the dev team was going to be working on ironing out bugs, and once they are satisfied with their efforts in that respect, they will presumably put a bigger focus on features again. He even said that they will likely add minor gameplay changes alongside their bugfixing.
    • Up x 1
  13. steveo

Thanks for the update, cant wait to see whats on the roadmap :).
    • Up x 1
  14. Killuminati C

Glad to hear there's an end to the uncomfortable silence as of late. Thank you and godspeed ;) !
    • Up x 1
  15. DaMann22

Thank you Andy, the current development team, and all former members of Planetside 2. I am also glad to hear that transparency is still going on along with future development.
    • Up x 1
  16. Archiadus

I´m glad to hear that there´s still some devs around, that gives me hope for the future of the game.

Does this mean that we´ll finally get to read about the changes that are / will be planned here on the official forums instead of having to look at other sources for such information? :)
    • Up x 7
  17. Nojoe365

Right. I just figured that that there would be too much fixing going on for new content for at least 6 months.
  18. doombro

On the roadmap: please don't worry yourselves too much about the when so much as the what. We're pretty patient dudes. I'd prefer to know what the immediate goals are far more than I would the immediate deadlines. I think having the deadlines at all just sets expectations that only hurt the state of the community.

Thanks a ton for being in touch.
    • Up x 3
  19. Iridar51

Those are some pretty words right there. Past experiences with this company tell me not to believe them. But this isn't exactly the same company anymore. It doesn't cost me anything, so I choose to believe these pretty words! :)

The king is dead, long live the king!
    • Up x 5
  20. Shockwave44

He didn't really say anything we didn't already know though. It's very vague.
    • Up x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.