Problems with Attacking/Defending - Solutions & Discussion.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Wrel, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Wrel Developer

Evidently, I really needed to make a longer TL;DW (or maybe none at all,) as most of the responses coming in are talking about points that were already addressed in detail during the video.

So, I apologize for not making the TL;DW more detailed, and I can no longer edit the post.

If you plan on tossing in your two cents, and also have time to watch the video, please try to do that before posting, just so that we can clear out some of the redundancies.

But if not, oh well.
    • Up x 2
  2. Cinnamon

Let's say you have a decent fight going, 10v10 or so.

What is to stop one side just quickly ruining the fight in the game as it is? Not much, there are many ways to.

Blow up the attacker's sunderer.

Air flies in and completely ruins the dynamic of the fight.

Some pro platoon sees an even fight that needs "saving" then drops in and turns in into a 60v10 fight.

Fights that are not already really large are just really brittle when it comes to giving you a chance for more than five minutes of quality gameplay assuming it isn't over before you can get there.
  3. Lucidius134

God, no.

Medic spawn points will turn fights into whack-a-mole even worse than old drop pods did.

@ Pop balance

Isn't there already is an XP incentive although you can't see it from the map? Even if it was 100% I think it would just encourage more spawn warrioring because the XP incentive isn't anything without a means of getting XP and the best way to get XP is kills. It's tricky because when it's generally that over pop you can't even fight your way out of the spawn if everyone made a push.
  4. ChampagneDragon

Personally, and don't take this personal, I RARELY watch videos posted on these forums. 99% of them are posted by someone who is just trying to get their views up for monetization.
  5. Copasetic

I don't think an XP incentive is going to help much, most people just don't seem to notice it. I think this is partly because it's a passive bonus while much of the game relies on active rewards to drive players (XP popups, certs, medals, capture and defense notifications etc). Playing on an underpopped continent already gives you up to +50% XP yet the continent stays underpopped, people either don't notice or don't care.

This passive XP bonus needs to be turned into an active reward. One way to do this might be to add up all the bonus XP you're getting and award it in one lump sum either every x minutes or once a certain amount is reached. The player would get a message like "Underdog bonus +500 XP" ever so often which makes it clear that he's profiting from fighting outnumbered. You could go one step further and add Underdog medals, awarded every x points of Underdog XP that you rack up.

There absolutely needs to be more reason to prep base defenses. I try to do this quite often but it always ends the same, I throw down a couple of mines and barely manage to make it to a turret before the enemy vehicle swarm rolls in. From there I might manage to kill 1 vehicle if I'm lucky before all the turrets are blown to pieces, and now I'm stuck fighting heavily outnumbered. There's two problems here.

One, there just isn't enough stuff to prepare. You covered this pretty well in the video so I won't add much more except to say CE. We need more CE.

Two, and I think this is the bigger problem: there isn't enough time to prepare. Bases are far too densely packed and the spawn rooms are often too far away from the outer perimeter of the base. Unless I abandon a base with at least 2 minutes left on the capture I simply don't have time to get anything set up at the next one, and even then I'll barely be able to throw down a couple AV mines near the entrance or repair a single turret. And I have absolutely no hope of organizing any kind of counter vehicle push, if the base I'm at lets me spawn tanks at all.

I'd love to see the next continent after Hossin be a much simpler 10 base affair like the old Planetside continents, with lots of room in between for armor skirmishes and enough time to set up defenses. If it doesn't work out they could still sprinkle some outposts around and turn it into a modern PS2 map fairly easily.
  6. GhostAvatar

Yeah, didn't watch the video until after my post. You did address some of the points I posted in that video.
  7. Tuco

That's your definition of long TTK? Geez.
  8. Tuco

We aint talking about population on the strategic level, we're talking population on the tactical hex level. Get it now?

And the best way to bore them would be.......to increase base capture timer. *spock eyebrow raise*