Preset Loadouts: Light Assault

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Sock, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Pat22

First you must know that you should never be using A, S or D while jetpacking, because those keys only slow you down.
    Next, you must master moving sideways using only the W key by flipping to the left and right, creating an arcing trajectory and "skating" properly.
    Strafing using only W will allow you to move much faster than either jets let you go by simply going straight forwards.
    And it does work with both jets, it's just less noticeable on Jump Jets because of the lower fuel and active burn time, and your changing altitude.
  2. Kanil

Why would you need to use the drifter in combination with the jump pad? It's a jump pad...
  3. Pat22

Because with the Drifters ( and standard jets too ) you can deviate the trajectory of the jump pad and land it basically anywhere YOU want it to land within some 300m of where it's actually supposed to land.
    Like, on an enemy sunderer behind some cover across a big open field full of tanks, or right on the A point of a satellite base where the jump pad is being camped, or on an annoying sniper's position.
  4. Kanil

I bolded the important part. Standard jets already can send you two bases down the lattice, why would you need to go even further?
  5. Pat22

Because sometimes that sunderer that's just out of range of the standard jump jets really needs to die.
    The Jump Jets are in fact more useful in most situations, but there are SOME situations where Drifters are better, or can accomplish what Jump Jets can't.
    They're giving new players the first level of Drifters for free for them to try it out. They don't have to keep it if they don't like it.
    You people are complaining about free things. Sure, they're not the best, but FREE THINGS. Would you rather new players find out they're not that great AFTER they spend certs into it?
  6. Kanil

A sunderer more than 500 meters away is probably not much of a threat, given how far the infantry have to walk once disembarked...
  7. THUGGERNAUT

this might have been a decent before the ADS nerf, but now it's just absurd. maybe if you give a new player free C4 they might do something useful with drifters.
  8. Pat22

500m away from the jump pad doesn't mean 500m away from their objective.
  9. Kanil

You're right. In the case of amp stations and bio labs, it's further.
  10. Pat22

Unless it's the satellite base.
  11. Kanil

So, best case scenario for drifters is that they're vaguely cute in CQC maybe, and useful for C4ing things that are phenomenally far away, provided you know how, and most people don't.

In other words, they mostly exist just to confuse and/or troll new players. Particularly those that don't even know that you have an option for which jump jet to take. I can imagine some players will probably swap to the shotgun and wonder why their jumpjets no longer work.

Defaulting to drifters is sorta like how the Jackhammer defaults to semi-auto. If you don't know about it, it kinda sucks.
    • Up x 2
  12. Cinnamon

This reminded me that I unlocked the max level drifter jet so I tried the drift/shotgun combo for a while though I normally only use it for dropping c4.

The "skiiing" makes it sort of fun to mess around with and it's true that most of the time using normal jets to jump up marks you as a target more often than not. It also lasts for a really long time and recharges quickly.

The main problem is that you just tend to charge head on into death a fair amount and it can get boring with the shotgun. Sort of an "assault" build for where you get somewhere fast, lob in your grenades then rush with a shotgun. Maybe get a kill or two then die and repeat. Not a terrible build for a new player if they work it out.

Probably for TR it is worse because the repeater doesn't help as much with longer range.