PPA Changes on Test

Discussion in 'Test Server: Announcements' started by d_carey, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Pax Empyrean

I don't like the direction these changes are going. Inaccurate AoE weapons have a high skill floor and a low skill ceiling. They don't reward you for good shooting or punish you for bad shooting.

Long range PPA farming is a problem, but I would have addressed it by reducing or eliminating the PPA splash damage and using a damage falloff model that encourages use at closer range. Compared to the Kobalt, I would make the PPA more difficult to hit with (as is already the case, due to projectile velocity) and have better damage output. All this splash/inaccuracy stuff is just making a weapon that doesn't require skill or reward it. Those weapons tend to be boring to use and annoying to fight against.
  2. MrJengles

Seems a good direction to me. The combined AoE + direct damage that kills in 2 shots never made any sense when the main selling point is supposed to be AoE damage. And using more exact drop-off that highly encourages accurate aiming is another good change.

That being said the CoF gain feels too high as you max out after 3 shots and can't hit anything. It's all well and good using CoF to discourage people from holding down the trigger until the magazine runs out but this CoF doesn't even come CLOSE. For a weapon that is specifically telling you to aim well for maximum damage or spray for AoE you need a lot more gradual gain and lee-way; it should feel more dynamic and interesting than that. Right now there's no choice, it's tap or nothing.

I'd much rather see a gain of 0.25 degrees per shot so each 1/4 of the magazine moves you through the current accuracy levels.

Also, I'd like to test a slightly slower rate of fire, in between new and old values, at 200RPM. The slower rate of fire gives it a little bit of flavour. If necessary, you could always just bump the Harasser damage up to Magrider (250 -> 300) and the Magrider up another 50.
  3. Prodigal

The strange thing is that as soon as VS have something effective, Hibgy goes nuts, calls it OP and nerfs it - while the other factions still keep having their OP stuff, because Higby calls it a faction trait. So only TR and especially NC are allowed to have effective faction traits, while VS's faction traits are not allowed to be effective.

I'm really missing sincerity in this whole mess.
  4. MykeMichail

Just from reading the description of the changes, I kind of get the feeling that the bloom rate and maximum cone of fire might be excessive.
  5. miendude

The devs are making this WAY to complicated. What was OP about the PPA? It was being able to farm SAFELY from LONG RANGE with the weapon. Easiest way to nerf the PPA: cut the range of projectiles! Force Mags to get in within 50m of a target so Heavys or Light Assaults are a constant danger, along with a mess of other **** near a tower or spawn.

Please stop these torrents of changes to weapons all at the same time, at most change 2-3 things at once. Nudge things closer to the right balance instead of throwing sledge hammers one way or the other. The Duster is a great example, it has been buffed incrementally ever since being released, and it's just one NUDGE away from being a completely viable weapon.
    • Up x 1
  6. Halkesh

In this case, please increase the min/max angle so we can shot at crouched infantry and flying LA.

About the weapon itself, it's gameplay seems similar to the duster : shot & pray.
    CoF recover should be increased so we won't be totally useless at more than 50 meters.

Does flak armor prevent from the new PPA splash damage ?
  7. Strikejk

Except it is completely opposite.

Magrider was clearly OP, stayed OP for over 6+ month. Zoe was clearly OP, stayed OP for even longer!, PPA is clearly OP, still going lmao.

Prowler deployment velocity = 4-5 days. Fracture? Couple of month. Pounder? 2 weeks

Also what faction traits?

0.75x movement modifier on LMG? Nope thats VS.
    Long range AV on MBT and harasser (saron)? Nope thats VS
    Long and close range superior AI on MBT and harasser (PPA)? Nope also VS
    OP Max? Sorry but NC>VS>=TR
    OP MBT? Nope the ranking is VS>NC>=TR

Deploy? bugged.
    T7 Minigun is good to kill people, but you can just use any other weapon, lasher gives you atleast utility.
    Speaking of which, Striker? Yea sucks at AV and currently seems to still suck against AA too while VS have their awesome doom-squads of outta-render-distance killer.

High RPM weapons? Nah not rly, try again!

The only working, good and useful faction Trait the TR has is: Claymore.
    • Up x 4
  8. Chaen

They feel like it in testing, however that's likely due to me being used to the current CoF. The base CoF was increased from 0.3 to I think 0.5 (someone please correct me if I'm wrong, it might be higher), so first shot accuracy is also not as good, even if you're pacing your shots. My testing has only been in the VR, and doesn't reflect a combat situation however. I understand that the desire from SoE is to limit the range at which MBT AI is effective, and this will certainly accomplish that. What is the desired range however that they want to limit it to? I've read "not 100m+", but what's the end goal here?

Also would like to add that the damage against a max unit does feel too weak. Greater than a single magazine (with max ranks in magazine size) seems like too much. I think I'm ok with the damage against Harassers and ESFs as it is, as the velocity nerf will make hitting those targets much more difficult.
  9. StarvinMarvin

Hi i just loged on the test server and saw the new maniability of the esf and i'm pretty freaked. Is that an update of the way to fly or a simple bug ? please tell me that's a bug .......... cause if not, a lot of players may never play again. My self include
  10. DJPX

Don´t change the PPA it is the Symbol of Vanu!!!
    SOE want you really something like this?
    (Some nerfs later)
    [IMG]
  11. Prodigal

Cool, then let's not talk about the Prowler's double tank cannon and about how long the Vulcan had been OP - or the Scatmax respectively the Vanguard's invincible shield.

Because in fact, you were not considering any of my arguments, you were just throwing in single things like they had general value. 0.75x movement on LMG is only the Polaris, which is a ****** gun. How about your TRAC? And the Saron has been nerfed to ****, the TR AI MAXes are way stronger than the VS's.

Let me remind you that the actual Magrider needs to be fully equipped with a Saron + gunner to (barely) stand a 1on1 against a single-manned Prowler or Vanguard. Balanced, right?

Anyways, I found out long ago that there's no point in talking to ppl like you - you'll want the op stuff and will still complain about VS being op, while our weapons are mainly trash. We're just the shiny looking faction so you have awesome looking targets to kill :D

And I find it amusing how you completely try to ignore that your high RPM weapons (including LMGs) are extremely powerful for cqc - where most of the fights take place (similar argumentation as ScatMAXes). Good job (y)
  12. TraatAdmiral

And the Orion, yes? Which is definitely not a ****** gun.
  13. UnDeaD_CyBorG

It's SVA-88 and Orion, not on the Polaris.
    Though a 0.75 ADS would make it a superb weapon, no doubt.
  14. Smoo

And as soon as bases are also mobile, that will actually matter.

Bases are immobile, so mobility while attacking/defending them is immaterial. Tanks that shoot harder and faster DO matter. Magrider does not do that. In an open field fight, Magriders can snipe with Sarons, but in the face of any real push of equal force, Vanguard/Prowler guns just do more damage. And with the slowest projectile, but one that requires turning the ENTIRE tank, no stable platform.

Turreted tanks are LIGHT YEARS better at shooting aircraft, and they can just put on side armor, and drive forward/backward from behind cover.

Using Magburner for running is a written invitation to get tank shells in the rear of a damaged tank. Dumbfires are hard to hit MOST things, and at their optimal range, it doesn't matter if the tank can strafe or not. Lockdown makes it easier to put 2400 damage into things, and a shield makes it easier to survive.

Magburner? You don't see it much on front lines, but it causes tank deaths. When nobody is firing at you.
  15. vanu123

You mean buffed?
  16. Tyrant103

Magazine size makes it pointless. Good job.
  17. Lobostar

Have you seen the magazine size on the Canister or Maurauder? Gimme a break.
  18. elv11

I think the PPA should remain as it is, because the NC have the Shotgun at the vehicles an they are one hit and can used against vehicles...
    The TR have the vulcan and the Mauderer which are very effective against vehicles...
    The PPA was already canged so it makes no damage at vehicles and the magazine size is smaller!
    When VS always cry as NC and TR their weopons will change also but they doesnt do it !
  19. orbital

Every faction has a few high RPM carbines, assault rifles and some LMGs, our T9 Carv just got buffed to finally match the damage output of the Orion and Gauss Saw and you're going to complain about it. good grief there's a dude on Emerald with an 11.23 k/d named JustHereForOrion https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428168624838780865 with
    48,308 Orion kills, it's the preferred gun [for hackers] because of it's smooth operation. I don't want to hear it, until the Carv got buffed, TR had to cert into MSW-R to match the Orion or the TMG-50 to match the Gauss Saw (but with less in the clip, what???? why does the GS get 200 damage AND 100 in the clip, that's supposed to be a TR thing?) but still the Orion and the Carv have 750 RPM - again, you clearly aren't holding the Orion right if you want to complain. This is aside from the MCG with 800 RPM (not including spin-up!) which is only for hip-fire, you can't aim it, is that what you're talking about? Which I'll admit is OP in CQC but I can't 3x burst a shotgun like the Jackhammer or spam blast a doorway like the Lasher (these guns are unique and fun, not more OP than the others). TR are supposed to get the high RPM guns but yet there's the Serpent, VX7-6, H-V45 and NC's GD-7F, but TR get a few more in the clip (which doesn't help after I'm dead, LOL). You need to look at the entire characteristics of a gun, RPM is only one factor, accuracy, movement speed, etc., think about this next time you get owned by a low RPM NS11C or really any NS gun. Every gun is a trade-off, the fun in this game is learning and mastering those trade-offs.
    I don't think the VS are more OP than others in total but I do think that their default guns are not trash and way more easy mode than TR and NC, but once you learn to handle the TR and NC guns, they're pretty awesome with a few exceptions where "equal" class guns just don't match up to the other factions but that can be found across all the factions.
    anyway back to the PPA discussion...
    PPA nerf = welcome to the current Vulcan.
  20. orbital

Just re-read my post, I'm not saying JustHereForOrion is a hacker, just that hackers like the Orion. Clearly, he just really like the freaking Orion!