Potential for Fortifications.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AlterEgo, Nov 23, 2015.

1. AlterEgo

ALRIGHT THEN, YOU PUKES.
    As some of you may have noticed, Hans has been too busy repairing his HQ rather than building those bunkers (silly Hans).
    [IMG]
    As you can see, work has been slow. But hey, maybe Hans will stop staring at that incoming shell. If only he had a bunker.

NOW... about bunkers (lel).

It's about time. Anyone reading this probably knows I have a softspot for bunkers, but just imagine it:
    A network of bunkers spanning the entrance of Quartz Ridge, with the defenders tasked with holding back the incoming tide of enemy troops who need to gain a foothold on the region's sloped terrain. Trenches can be built in the snowy territories of Esamir, guarded from the air by trees and from tanks by the cover of the hills. Towers around the open areas of Amerish, safeguarding the critical points west of the map. Foxholes in the swamps of Hossin, with a few traps peppered around that may serve a nuisance to the defense just as much as to the offense. The possibilities are ENDLESS. What the fortification update offers to this game is immeasurable; now, whichever side employs its nanites in the most effective manner (whether behind the vehicle terminal or with a spade but not doing crap) wins. The game can have a flavor unlike any other game, and who knows? Maybe each faction will have a few qualities related to these fortifications. TR can be the defensive factions, able to build better fortifications with better benefits upon doing so. Weapons could now have faster fire rates and larger magazines to complement this defensive playstyle. And when the vehicles arrive, the time to push will come. The NC could be the offensive faction. They may face difficulties when building their own defensive positions, but hey, a good defense consists of a good offense, which the NC have in the form of more armor, stronger (and I mean STRONGER) vehicles, and weapons that rely on dealing as much damage as possible at any range where those dictators, both red and purple, can be seen. The VS will achieve the middle ground between the two, with fortifications that balance between moderate defense and the ability to complement a moderate counterattack. They can assault, yes, but they can defend when necessary, having such tools such as teleporters when on the defense and jump pads when the enemy needs a good pounding.

WELL, that is all. Can't wait for it to happen, and Hans...
    [IMG]
    WHERE IS THAT BUNKER, DAMNIT???
    • Up x 1
  2. BurntMyWater

Finally infils will be able to sneak into bunkers and cause a ruckus.

Hans, your coffee tastes like ***.
  3. Obscura

the real question is would you somehow be able to fit a sundy inside of one lol
    • Up x 1
  4. WeRelic

I'm definitely looking forward to the system. Hopefully it doesn't just cause clutter.

Also... We need floating fortress bases assailable only by galaxie/valk drops. ( inb4 scarred mesa )
  5. PKSpark

I want constructible trees to destroy esf
    • Up x 7
  6. WeRelic

I literally shuddered as I read that.

Pilot's reflex I guess.
    • Up x 1
  7. DirArtillerySupport

I have this game running in the background as I type.
  8. Goldmonk

Use Astroglide obviously
  9. Liewec123

they'll have to control where you can build, otherwise expect trolls building walls around vehicle pads and ceilings over aircraft pads.
    • Up x 2
  10. Lord_Avatar

Yeah, while absolute freedom with regard to placement would be awesomesauce it also has the potential to cause ridiculous amounts of grief. And I do mean *ridiculous*. This feature has the potential to remake, or break the game.
  11. Liewec123

depending on if we can build things higher than ground level it could also potentially remove the benefits of walls around bases like on esamir, players could simply construct ramps and bridges over the walls and drive vehicles right in.

or a spiralling ramp going all the way up to a biolab landing pad

or even more hilarious, create a spiralling ramp way up high, deploy a sunderer up there and then have allies destroy the ramp,
    you now have an AV nest that can't be attacked by infantry, build some Av turrets and AA turrets up there...

yeah i'm worried about the possibilities :p
  12. Obscura

Lol just slap some crisco on it and it'll be fine
    • Up x 1
  13. Atis

But seriously we were promised deployable cover 2 years ago. How hard could it be to make same mana turret just in shape of short low wall without gun?

Easy-easy. You are drooling...

With balloons and catapult. If you miss with tree, it stays in air.
    Like AA zeppelins but with trees.
    [IMG]
    • Up x 1
  14. ridicOne

Potential, I guess I'm going to make the assumption before it's launched that it won't matter without more of a metagame.
    The real issue with the game is the size of the zergs. The way I see it either the zergs roll the new structures. Which means they are pointless or the structures are OP since I hope the initial idea behind them was to combat the zergs with less people then the zerg itself. If the latter case is OP people are going to avoid them anyways.

To make them useful they might need to add some sort of reason like generator to build around. To force people to go up against them.