Post-nerf Shotguns

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AllRoundGoodGuy, Feb 20, 2017.

1. AllRoundGoodGuy

What are everyone's thoughts on shotguns post nerf? Now that it has been a while what has been the overall effect? For me personally, I am finding that the auto-shotty is a beast.
  2. JKomm

Once again... it's a rebalance. Shotguns now require more skill, so essentially it's a nerf to those who cannot aim, but a buff to those who can.
  3. Campagne

Jackhammer kinda sucks even more now. Plenty of other weapons do its job better.

I don't really like them at all anymore.
  4. BrbImAFK

Honestly?! I don't use it, personally, but I find going up against it WAY more obnoxious now that it used to be!

Yeah, I'm struggling a bit with this one as well. It's hard to justify taking one rather than an SMG, or carbine, or whatever. That said... if you can manage to control the range (which I'm finding harder than it used to be), shotty's can still be pretty godly.
  5. LaughingDead

Basically terrible. Why would anyone use a shotgun for CQ now is beyond me. They're less consistent, nano screws semis, heavy screws semis, pumps have to hit all pellets on a nano target to kill, unless its a first gen (one extra pellet) in which you can miss one, however that's only if the target is within 5 meters, then you ALWAYS have to ADS if you ever want to beat competitive players, which is unlikely as all ******* hell even with ADS.

Basically just, no point in shotguns anymore, there was barely a point to them before.
  6. Campagne

Yeah, just feels weaker. Before it was about three shots to kill, even though it's supposed to kill in two. Now it just takes so long to kill... :eek:

They're not awful, but they're pretty consistently weaker than they used to be. At least an automatic weapon has some range and versatility.
  7. LegendarySalmonSnake

I just use slugs in my semi auto and auto shotties at all ranges now. Less RNG that way. Of the pump action shotties I only use phodos because for the faster chamber time (and filthy VS ez moder). Not sure if I got better at positioning and peeking or something but I started performing way better with it after the nerf. Shotties are still godly at tower stomps and biolabs imo.
  8. Moz

Interesting, i have no issue one clicking people with the burst mode. Never use it in single shot so i guess there could be an issue there?
  9. The Shady Engineer

As someone who is exclusively on the receiving side (I don't use shotguns) of them- semi and full autos are just about the same, Jackhammer is the same one click wonder weapon except now can gib way further out and pump shotties are a non-threat outside of A points in towers. They need to be in very close range to one shot kill now.
  10. Okaydan

Haven't used shotty's in a while. I tried the auto shotgun post change (only one I've yet to Auraxium) and it's still horrible. Especially after the carbine hip fire buff, there's no reason to take it anymore.

Up-in-your-face engagements can be fun with a pump shotgun. Anything else, I use directive carbine -> infinite ammo and 4 pump shots under-barrel attachment on top of decent hip fire which is maintained mid-air.
    Heavies got better weapons in most LMGs. Same for medic, AR > shotguns. And infiltrators can't use them in the first place.

Maybe I'll one day get into slug stomping. Maybe.

Phobos is Love. Phobos is Life.

I dunno man. Reducing DPS is a nerf. Shotguns were never bought for their 'accuracy'. It's supposed to be a CQC up-in-your-face dominator. At least, that's what they were. Now they have an identity crisis. They wanna be like the all-around guns, misshaping themselves in the process. But they should be proud CQC weapons, beautiful in their own way!
  11. Liewec123

pretty dreadful change, it reduced their CQC effectiveness for theoretically more range when ADSing.
    people who pushed for this change shouldn't have been using shotguns, if you want range don't use a damn shotgun!
    shotguns should be the undisputed kings of CQC, and awful at everything else,
    as it stands now it is fairly bad RNG that they will have a longer ttk than every other primary in CQC.
    you can get out DPSed at pointblank by someone hipfiring a damn gauss saw.

i say this as someone who has auraxed Piston, Mauler, Bruiser, Brawler, Sweeper Claw and Jackhammer twice, i know my shotguns.
    • Up x 3
  12. Corezer

nerf to pellets, but super buff to slugs.

try PA slugging and going for headshots. instagibbs within 20m iirc.
  13. Campagne

Hmm, maybe.

I usually prefer the single shot mode wholeheartedly, for the greater overall control of the weapon and pellets going down range. TTK is usually pretty close either way I find.

'Course, nobody I kill ever dies in the right amount of shots unless I execute them from stealth, so the good ol' hit detection might be a potential reason. Shoguns really seem to have it worse, and not just for me. :eek:
    • Up x 1
  14. Carnage

Been using them for the past few days and I can say they are pretty much useless now. Sure you can sneak up on someone with them now but to what end? his friend just kills you. The jackhammer is still a joke until they make it full auto, why they made all the other empire specific weapons just like in PS1 and they decided the jackhammer should be nerfed is beyond me. Anytime I go out with the JH I just get annoyed and switch to the piston or pump action. All in all the shotguns are all lackluster, especially since they are so unforgiving now more then ever.
  15. Carnage

also as a side note, why the hell doesn't the JH have solid slugs, seriously the TR get an upgrade with their quicker spool up attachment but the JH just seems so bland, tripleshot aside
  16. Carnage

also what the **** is going on with c4 not killing maxes, had 3 separate occurrences where i directly dropped a c4 on a max and he took little damage
  17. Kristan

It feels kinda mediocre in my opinion. It still kinda works in CQC, but it just feels... wrong, clunky. Yes, it ain't that easy to just spam couple of shots at the enemy and you're done. Now you have to aim better, move, even if you caught someone by surprise. You could say it involves some skill now, but meh... I already traded range for effectiveness. If I'd want to use skill and aim on close range I'd rather grab carbine.
  18. OldMaster80

PA shotugns are definitely awful now. They require more skill that's true... but if you can ba successful with that then you can be a beast with any other weapon. Miller latency (people killing you behind corners) makes these weapons even less reliable.
    There is basically no more reason to prefer shotguns in cqc.

I just went to a carbine with advanced laser sight and it works much better.
  19. Crayv

I haven't been playing much lately but I didn't think they were great before the nerfs so I can only imagine how bad they are now.

Why would I ever use one over an SMG?
    • Up x 1
  20. Moz

Have to admit bud im not the most avid shotty user.... I just use JH (mainly burst) from time to time or maybe a slug Baron.

That in mind i guess i wont really see any issues we get from the new shotty setup.