[Guide] Post good ways to use the Valkyrie

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by LOLdragon, Aug 30, 2014.

1. iller

Get on top of things you can't climb up as an infiltrator for 250 certs
  2. Problem Officer

Airdropping and spawning RoyalEngineer squads into threads facilities that need necroing point capped.
  3. Joexer

Ive used it mainly as a transport but with a well certed squad of 6 ive found these very effective:

Bombardment:All Engineers with UBGL and/or Crossbow explosive bolts. VLG RL. tips. stay low. stay repped.

Judgement Day: 2 Engis, 4 Medics w/ grenade bandolier and rez nades. Any assault rifle really. Swoop in on a firefight and turn the tide. Rez up allies and lay down enemies. Real fun but niche and hit-n-miss sometimes.
  4. Generaldraxeo

The Valkyrie is a fantastic aircraft. For me there are two main ways I use it. It is great for infantry support when you combine its ability to transport a number of troops quickly and safely between bases. When using its scout radar it is perfect for laying low while showing your teammates where the enemy is, and due to its maneuverability and mounted gun, it can get out of a tight spot while also being used to hunt down enemy spawn points or ghost cappers.

The Valkyrie is also effective as a mobile spawn unit and due to its small size it is much harder to detect (especially when combined with the stealth upgrade) than a galaxy. This makes it great for recon missions or when you have a small group and want to ghost cap.

It's essentially Planetside's version of a helicopter. Some people are pretty good at using it in aerial combat where you can use its superior maneuverability to your advantage, but I personally am not too great at that. Instead, my usual setup is using the scout radar, the stealth upgrade, and the speed boost. It's generally a better idea to fly low over the terrain instead of up high, because if any air spots you it will be tough to fight them/shake them. The valkyrie is also more complex than other aircraft because you have to use the upward thrusters a lot if you want to get the most speed out of your craft. The fastest way to travel is using your forward thrusters plus your upward thrusters with your nose pointed slightly downwards. With the maximum speed boost at this angle you can get up to 200. With this setup you can still transport your team effectively, you just have to fly in low and hover for a second for your teammates to drop off before getting out. This adds a fun sense of realism for me, as it is much like transport helicopters today. When being chased, it's good to use your turning ability to dive and fly around obstacles between yourself and the enemy. In Hossin, a great strategy is to fly in low under the trees (if you are good enough) and you'll lose the enemy easy, since most flight crafts have speed but can't turn fast enough to avoid crashing into trees. I've done this several times and it works like a charm! Coupled with the stealth upgrade, you just have to briefly fly in the trees and then just land somewhere and the enemy won't be able to find you.

If you are helping your team assault a fortress and they don't have a lot of troops, fly in fast circles around the base to show your team where the enemy troops are. If there are a lot of enemies and you don't want to risk being shot down, hover or land behind a wall or some other tall barrier so that your team still benefits from the minimap tracking.

Another strategy I love to do is when you are ghost capping a base or fighting a small group of enemies, you can use the Valkyrie as a mobile gun platform. This usually occurs when I am the solo pilot because my team is busy capturing the base. I land the valkyrie on a high ledge that overlooks either the spawnpoint or a place I'm certain the enemy will be running through. You land the craft just over the ledge and then you as the pilot take control of the gun and guard key points. Even if you are in the turret, your scout radar will still work to show your team where the enemy is on the minimap.

As for guns, the default gun is actually very effective. It is very accurate and strong against both vehicles and people, plus it has a decent magazine size. The Helion G20 is fun and can be intimidating for infantry, while being pretty effective against vehicles. I actually like the pelter rocket pod the most, because you can unload 8 rockets at any target. It's more effective against vehicles but it also works against infantry even though it has a small burst radius. It is also great at scaring infantry away from a location because it's like carpet bombing. The downside is you have less ammunition so you'll need to resupply more frequently.

Anyway, this is my two cents. A lot of people don't like the Valkyrie and I can understand why: it is a hard aircraft to master. I like a challenge, and I love helicopters, so this was the craft for me. You can use Valkyries very effectively, but it's not the best for large-scale battles because you will be much easier to shoot down, especially without the speed upgrade.
  5. Nogrim313

max stealth + scout radar.
    if you are active in comms you can also do a great job ferrying allies after base caps.

i spend a lot of time hiding in terrain and giving my whole platoon a full minimap. its still too squishy for direct CAS with such a bumpy camera view.

i still think moving the rocket pods away from the Esfs and to the valkyrie would do a lot to fix issues with both aircraft, giving Valk pilots something to do and reinforces the CAS role and at the same time remove the balance nightmare of them on Esfs
  6. UberNoob1337101

7. EPIC389

Striker Valkyries. Scary as ****
  8. Newlife1025

Em-1? If it were that easy I'll start using it as anti air
  9. Alexeikruchev

It's a poor low-speed transport. I have never seen a Valkyrie move fast enough to be any kind of a surprise delivery, and it is too large to be stealthy and hide behind terrain contours. I have never been surprised when a Valkyrie arrived, as they are quite loud. There are only two "Good" ways to use a Valkyrie: As a throwaway transport onto a point when you're low on nanites- and as a distraction vehicle- people often start shooting Valkyries instead of more dangerous things like ESFs. They are very good AA magnets, and so a Valkyrie that flies in in front of an ESF strafing run can be valuable- if disposable in this role. Everything else could be done better with some other platform.
  10. Nogrim313

the speed i agree on, its a bit too slow with the hover frame which is needed badly for usability.
    as for being stealthy i very much disagree, on indar sure, because indar just doesnt have enough of the sort of cover it needs to shine. stealth imho is mandatory on the valk and yes the engines are loud they are also an asset in that regard once you recognize it.

the way i use my valkyrie is stealth/scout radar. thermal sights on the mini vulcan for when i occasionally have a gunner.
    i fly low and hug the ground and always use terrain for cover. missile locks are a joke, the only thing i occasionally get hit by is the 1-2 shots of a striker. the engine noise comes as an asset to my platoon as it makes people look up for that easy valk kill. as long as you stay moving you are damn near impossible to kill outright. moving on to the ESFs you in fact actually have a much much better turning radius than esfs, nosing down and hitting max thrust up with no forward motion is like the reverse move on steroids. even with out a gunner im able to frustrate average level pilots and expose them to our ground based AA or supporting esfs, i cant kill them but i can tie them up while my squad does.
    but most importantly even while i am doing all of that im providing scout radar over an entire base supporting the platoon.
    its not very rewarding cert wise other than the slow trickle of scout xp, but make a massive difference on the ground.
  11. stalkish

For the second time no less lol.
  12. Jake the Dog

I just ram it into the biggest group of hostiles I can find (bonus if its a max) and then jump out and work on the arx for my weapons.