[Suggestion] Possible approach for curtailing MAX / vehicle population

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Stormsinger, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Stormsinger

While I personally have no issues with the numbers of maxes / vehicles lurking around, many do. Given the pace of combat these days, and the massive availability of Nanites - hexes can become clogged with traffic jams, platoons of maxes, etc. With all the forum whine, it's only a matter of time before adjustments are made.

A few quick thoughts on what I think would be a fair approach to this issue:

Maxes / vehicles have their place, but there should be a limit of how many can be actively spawned in a given hex, by a given team. Others entering from elsewhere is still fine, max drops via galaxy into an already maxed-max hex would just prevent more from being pulled until numbers drop below hex-max, etc.

The same goes for MBTs / Sundies / Lightnings. Any (ground) vehicle that cannot be damaged by small arms would be subject to this. While this would not reduce the overall number of active units, it would help spread them out, and force a bit of extra time before additional reinforcements could arrive. (Hex full of vehicles? Go back a lattice if you want that MBT! Put each vehicle type on it's own counter, 50 prowlers shouldn't prevent a sundy from spawning, for example)

Thoughts?
  2. gigastar

Id rather wait on the next phase of resource revamp to curtail thier use first.

Also you would just have people lining up at the terminal waiting for thier turn in a vehicle.

And most of the time, MBTs can only be pulled from behind the frontline anyway. So it wont affect them in the slightest.
    • Up x 2
  3. SerasVic

I don't know, if it's playing only to have a limit of 2 tanks 2 aircrafts for said 32 players then i know a game who does that. It's called BF and i don't know if i'ld stick to planetside if we go for that.
    • Up x 1
  4. FateJH

I could or might agree to a provision like this if hex distribution were always even between bases.

If you pull vehicles from Saerro Listening Post and move against the Rink, you leave Saerro long before you ever get to the Rink proper. Based on the rule suggested, more people could push Vehicles against the Rink from Saerro because they're leaving the effective range of Saerro faster, thus freeing up more "slots" for Vehicles to be pulled from that base. People trying to leave the Rink for Saerro have to drive out further or in the wrong direction to pull an equivalent amount of Vehicles to push back against Saerro, or have to wait for lagging reinforcements from the other nearby facilities.

Note: I am outright ignoring the MBT-pulling strenght of Saerro over the Rink. We're just talking about bulk Vehicle pulling potential, so the quality of the drivers and the quality of the Vehicles are not to be considered.
  5. MuggieWara

ANY update that makes vehicle aquisition more difficult calls for a C4 nerf.Im happy with the current balance.But if i can pull one prowler every 20 minutes a single fairy should not be able to instakill me.And plz dont talk about awareness/positioning because theres always that LA thats gonna run for 2-3 mins over hills and mountains to flank you and kill you even 300m outside of a base.

I HATE these guys!:D(And yes they have interrupted my infantry farming session but what is nanite consumption for?Staying balanced with a few footsoldiers?)
  6. Jake the Dog

Planetside says play how you like and by god im gonna do that with my tank
  7. Alarox

The only time vehicle spam is a problem is when you're outnumbered and losing a fight. In such a case, the problem is that you're outnumbered and losing a fight. People see lots of vehicles so they ignore the fact that they'd be losing even if it was all infantry.

The resource revamp drastically increased the enjoyment many people get from the vehicle side of things. Before the resource revamp one side would get a slight edge in vehicle kills and it would snowball in their favor. Now, you actually have consistent fights back and forth. It is nice to be able to find enemy vehicles to kill instead of driving around aimlessly.
    • Up x 1
  8. Stormsinger

Yep, me too - either way, i'd prefer something like my idea to any major changes, barring nanite income reduction / increased costs. (Although it's just a random thought, spreading out pop or limiting use via restriction of numbers is preferable to any further nerfs to vehicles themselves)

A map / UI / terminal indicator as to vehicle pop numbers would be nice, and sitting in a vehicle queue happens whether you are at the terminal or not. Timeouts and queue efficiency / persistence would have to be addressed.

Overall numbers over time? Probably not, but it would impose travel time, which doesn't count for much in the long run, but it does allow for a few extra moments of offense / defense, and depending on the base... it can be quite a drive to the next one (western amerish, as an example. )

Honestly, i've never played multiplayer battlefield, I didnt know anything like this existed there. My thoughts were more along the lines of a 25 MBT, 30 lightning, 20 sundy limit per faction. (pulling numbers out of my spandex here) Basically, it would prevent massive tankspam. If 45 tanks isn't enough, 60 probably won't make a difference.

I agree with everything you said here, for the most part.

Impose a vehicular limit, but keep it near the high end of things... and there will be more infantry on point. If it's obvious that infantry are the reason a base is being lost, and not tanks... perhaps we'll have less people whining about vehicles. (Probably just a pipe dream, but I can hope)

[/QUOTE]

Yep! Logging into +6 +6 +6 income always made me log right back out, there wasn't a chance to fight back while warpgated, this is no longer the case. If i'm not in a vehicle, these days... chances are i'm either supporting on point, or running to a vehicle terminal. Last night, I got into a massive VS / TR, about 2 platoons on each side, both pulling armor like mad. It was great fun, one side would push to the other base, only to be pushed back by armor and launchers a few minutes later. Infantry skirmishes were taking place everywhere - all in all, it was a great fight.

The problem was the 57 (Yes, I counted. 57. ) prowlers all attempting to mount one another, vying for position. 30, or even 40 would have been plenty. (Magriders were using each other as ramps / for boost jumping, that was fun to watch / participate in. :p )

Really, the only real effects I see this having would be:
    Make someone run to another base to pull armor if there's already a ton around
    Encourage using different types of armor, rather then stacking all of one specific unit
    Reduce traffic jams slightly
    Increase number of infantry on point, when the unit in question is too lazy to go to another base for tank-pulling when in an armor overpopped region.

I'm not really married to the idea, but it's a way to limit use that doesn't involve direct nerfs to tanks / vehicle weapons.
  9. stalkish

^^This
    Couldnt agree more.
    Any changes they make needs to take into account the vehicle v vehicle game, not just the infantry whiners.
  10. Axehilt

This thread is like a Hyperbole Elemental randomly appeared and got sick all over the forums. "Platoons of MAXes"? I only wish the factions I played with could be so organized...
    • Vehicles are fine. Outdoors, vehicles dominate. That's fine because many types of vehicles are available and they each counter one another in fairly balanced ways.
    • Vehicle balance could obviously always be improved. But it should be done without any concessions towards infantry because the whole point and purpose of vehicles is to dominate around the outdoors parts of combat while you need infantry indoors.
    • MAXes are not fine. In the one place infantry should be useful (indoors), MAXes trump infantry. The problem is that while vehicles have counters (troublesome Liberator? Field 2 skyguards or ESFs and you can defeat him) MAXes do not. So the MAX users always come out ahead, which is why MAXes need to be balanced (probably by gaining a direct counter -- something they fear which defeats them on a 1-to-1 basis). After which the cost should be removed from MAXes.
  11. xboxerdude

Oh look axehilt spewing his usually entrée of lies, Maxes do already have a hard counter, it's called a conc grenade and costs about 1/10th of what it costs to pull a max....
  12. Stormsinger

Hyperbole elemental? Whatever gave you that impression. I never use hyperbole, I'm just tired of all the billions of infantry screaming for the blood of tank pilots everywhere.
    Nope, never use hyperbole... *walks off grumbling*

In all seriousness, yes - I have participated in multi-platoon VS max airdrops on Mattherson, and I was in a ~50 Max zerg on Saturday. The exp tics from my ammo pack were a sight to behold.
  13. Axehilt

Concussions aren't a hard counter. In a same-skill matchup the MAX will win more than half the time, which means the HA isn't even soft-countering the MAX.

If I regularly beat Orion users with a Knife, it wouldn't mean the Orion is worse than a Knife, it would mean there are a lot of bad players and I was using a skill advantage to beat them. This is not a complicated concept, and I've probably explained it to you before.