[Suggestion] Population is dropping: a fix

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Beerbeerbeer, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Who Garou

I would say the main detraction for playing Planetside 2 for a new player is not being able to get onto continent to get into a fight with a character of the faction of their choosing, because you now that they will be a F2P player before they get hooked and decide to subscribe.
    They will never get hooked on the game if they can't get on a continent and play. If they can't get on continent to play ... they will just look for another game to play.

This is a very good reason why NSO characters should be playable by F2P players.
    Want more players? Make it easier for them to get into the action.

No one likes sitting around for 10 minute to play again - let alone an hour or more.
  2. iller

I think Headshot Multiplier is exactly where it needs to be.... ...on Scout Rifles, on Pistols, on Burst fire Semi rifles.... etc

On the ridiculous number of fully Automatic Bullet Hoses this game has, ...Why? WHY BRO??. I mean if people really want to "Reward Skill" and not automatically be full on Hypocrites here... then stop having instakill Mechanics attached to all the Guns where you just hold down the Mouse-button and drag it over heads. (usually while lag switching or running hitbox exploits as all of the TryHard Outfits all tend to do)

A lot of times against those Folks, you can literally die in the same time as the ROUND TRIP LATENCY
    (Server tick Rate plus multiple Routing Hops plus CPU cache to Ram hitching lag)..... and I think THAT along with Corner-Glitching is the part new players just don't understand which makes them feel like learning the Gunplay is impossible
    • Up x 1
  3. Comptonunhh

I hate to break it to you but increasing TTK is not beneficial to new players, it is beneficial to the veteran. The longer an engagement lasts the longer a veteran will have for his skill to gap the difference in the fight the newb may have had by catching you by surprise. That's why games typically considered newb friendly or catering to casual players have excessively quick TTK, like call of duty for example.
    • Up x 1
  4. OneShadowWarrior

There is no stopping the drop, DX11 and chronic balancing to excess has ruined whatever was fun. Daybreak can brag about performance but the cost of stability, bigger bugs and more issues, simply wasn’t worth it.
    • Up x 1
  5. FIN Faravid

Speak for yourself. I much rather play buggy game that i can play than game that is all about big fights but my perfomance does not allow big fights. 30 fps is not enjoyable or playable in FPS game (it would be acceptable in some strategy games).

Problem really is that it does not matter how many players try the game if they don't stay enough to spend money on it. If they would have to buy the game, then even if they don't like it enough to stay, they would at least fund the further development of Planetside 2. At the moment its amazing if they find the game still profitable. I guess and hope is that they use Planetside 2 as test platform. They can't just start making Planetside 3, it would suffer from lot of same problems that Planetside 2 has, it would be just waste of money.
    Really its problem that Planetside 2 has no competition, Planetside 2 is in practice only MMOFPS and has to learn everything about how that genre works. But if Planetside 2 would get competition, it could easily split player base and kill the game for good. I suppose competition could bring advertising to MMOFPS genre and people might be interested to see if there are other MMOFPS games... but i would be afraid.

Player made bases are not that great at the moment, but it has potential to make Planetside 2 into game where every time you login, you are fighting in new and unique base that could be in new location. At the moment most of the map goes unused most of the time. Only rarely there are situations where i am in middle of 2 bases and really feel the scale of the maps and really feel the front lines. Most of the time when that happens, i am completely useless to my team...

Still, i like infantry vs infantry - unless there are skilled snipers skilled pump action shot gunners. Those and many of the vehicles often ruin what were good fights. That, or you just need to go to the objective and experience only 10% of the map...
    But Planetside 2 is still way more enjoyable than battlefield series for example.

Its difficult situation and i certainly can't solve it.
  6. iller

This is NOT a 1v1 game though. If TTK is Longer, then the "Pub Stomper" (not really a Veteran, I'm a VETERAN too (from 2012), but I only have a KDR avg of still 1.0 b/c of a LOT of issues I haven't gotten fixed yet). ....sorry, as I was saying...

If TTK is Longer, then said "Pub Stomper" who is used to Lonewolfing it, WILL end up fighting more players at the same time. This is the most basic of MATHS. If he can't instakill 2 Newbs with the same Magazine as he magically transitions from one of their heads, at least 15 firing degrees, INSTANTLY to the other one's head without even taking his finger off M1 --- (Yes I see this happens way too often in-game to believe it's only a Fluke) --- then THOSE new players will have more TIME to understand just WTF happened and they will at least have a chance to either learn what they could be doing right-er in that situation to not die instantly,

....or their pubber allies show up within that longer time frame and also start firing back at the Pub Stomper with the magical aim and eventually the bugger just dies from Attrition as is the case in MOST MMORPG's. (this isn't effing CounterStrike, it doesn't HAVE CS's geographically spread out superior infrastructure, LAN comps, or tickrates so stop pretending like it should be balanced like CS)

no..... COD has 'N00B-TUBES'. ....completely different thing from just having split-second TTK's alone
  7. Beerbeerbeer

These new players aren’t sticking around long enough to get hooked because veteran players have way too much of advantage over these newbs.

The changes I mentioned should have been implemented prior to DX11. It’s almost pointless now since they’re all gone; it’s like closing the barn door after the cows have already left.

Dumb planning on DBG’s part. They just don’t see the core problem, but what I mentioned is a big freaking problem.
  8. FIN Faravid

Good point about longer time to kill iller. If time to kill is longer, outnumbering enemy becomes far more important. If time to kill is short, one guy can kill multiple enemies who run up the stairs. if time to kill is long, enemy has easily enough time to run up the stairs and react to that lonely guy defending objective, killing that lonely guy maybe even before he has killed any of the attackers.

So while we want Planetside 2 to remain team game and we don't want solo armies, we can't increase time to kill much if at all.

Its (another) problem, i would love to have slower time to kill - in theory. Ideally i should be able to play games when i am old grandfather. I want it to be more about tactics and such, less about reflexes. But i definetly don't want people to win just because they have more people. The entire point of machine guns should be to make sure that nobody wins only because they have more people. Having more people will always be advantage, it should be minimized as much as possible and encourage even fights as much as possible.
  9. FateJH

The time to kill should be only long enough for somerthing interesting to happen (with your opponent) but not so long that the act of trying to kill the other person seems less meaningful.
  10. iller

Too subjective for my taste, I'd rather gauge it by established Science. ... real Milliseconds and I don't mean "Ping". Ping is a huge LIE. Ping doesn't tell you jack about larger Packets and the ROUND TRIP routing issues that can happen in between.

...just like those "Test your Reaction time" Webpages that only ask you to click the mouse button but meanwhile it Truncates ALL of the decision making issues also expected of us in a split second. (Faction COLOR, what the silhouette of the Target is, what Cosmetics they're allowed to add to the Model, the AUDIO cues we're also prepossessing, what happens when you also have to look up from the Radar UI right before that point and the complications of having 2 possible hostiles in proximity... Even what Mods they end up with like Sidewinder or HeavyWeight)
  11. Gen.Drake61

found this the other day, i also called out daybreak on twitter on this and blocked nick silva after finding this out:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/6su0xp/how_ps4_players_have_been_getting_banned/
    and there's a locked forum post:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?threads/dbg-ban-wave-on-ps4.246794/
  12. Gen.Drake61

and before anyone says anything, i'm just sharing what i've learned, i'm not trying to turn this into a full blown fight between point of views, im just saying its sad to see the game in this state...
  13. FateJH

Whether the game makes the decision to kill your opponent on your client or the server makes a decision or validates your decision (splitting the difference) and tells your client one way or another, round trip time is an unavoidable ditch that needs to be accounted. Saying "milliseconds" as if that is the end of the discussion means nothing when a centralized server has to spend time instructing each client what it's world looks like. The "established science" was born in a closed petri dish of ping management where maps were tiny by comparison and the number of concurrent players was at most fifteen besides ourselves. That makes it a good rule of thumb but it can never be treated as a shackle. It's always going to be "by feel" because we have a lot of other people with their own connectivity situations that demand decent simulation attention besides ourselves and the player whom we believe we're shooting.
  14. strikearrow

I quit because of dx11 - after playing for years with multiple br 90+ toons on two servers. The game was unplayable after dx11 and not worth the time to download updates and see if it works now.
  15. Ripfield

New players have to be embedded into well functioning outfits that operate with voice-comm and so can introduce them into the harsh and brutal reality on the battlefields of Auraxis - in a fun (yet time and effort consuming) way that, frankly, can not be provided otherwise.
    It is community service which is needed, here. The Devs have already done a lot over the years tolower the steepness of the learning curve on their end, but it is the community itself which decides this matter in the way the "newbies" are actually treated and "welcomed" on Auraxis. The teamplay and social aspect (or lack thereof) are very if not most important "to make lasting friends and supporters of the game".
  16. Commandoo

Population on ps4 Europe is pretty bad! That needs a fix ASAP! jokes aside though NC are pretty bad but don't have really bad numbers, we are just bad. The one thing I hate is teams of pure heavy assault just going around owning everything. I joined the VS today and we had no medics or engineers because perrrft no need for that just pick heavy assault and follow the next man.

My first actual experience on planetside was 2 weeks ago playing at 1am after download from the ps4 store. I joined in and most were chatting and chilling on server I think. Turns out I should make a Us account as the server I'm currently on is dead! I'm rather new still and I've seen only a handful of fights where we have numbers from every side making it a good fight. Most of the time I cap a base on my own then an enemy comes and we duke it out for hours over 1 base, kinda pointless but that's what you get on a dead server at 1am untill the morning rush hour comes from VS and everyone gets wiped.
  17. Tumdaydar

My issue and one that you have missed is the incress in cheating in this game the devs doing nothing to rectofy the issue at all. But I also agree with your other points too so yes i see way more bad in this game then good right now and its sad becouse it a solid game if you get rid of the cheaters and everyone is on the same playing grounds.
  18. Commandoo

Today on ps4 we had a guy in a walll shooting us. After I yell at him and ask why he goes GG lol! Also I read about teamwork. If you play ps4 Europe server then teamwork is non existent! the squad leaders dont mark targets, people use mic but only to play music down it or talk Some language nobody understands! Chat is non exsistant and I'm talking to myself 90% of the time! It's basically just VS wipes us all out! Makes me rather salty that vs just win everything, events go to vs, the win after 7 hours of fighting! Makes playing NC pure salt! And I see videos of " it's not a Zerg" that's the issue. Every fight is 2-1 at peak times because VS have numbers. Idk that's what it seems like but I could be wrong!