Please stop crying about infiltrators...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scatterblak, Jun 16, 2021.

1. JustGotSuspended

nah most weps kill you before you even have time to turn on the shield if the guy knows how to aim. As jibba says it's more of something you use to sealclub 10 dudes in a row than win 1v1s. I've noticed in most situations where the thing is actually effective is when I'm fighting hordes of 'zerglings', which basically shoot each other and don't aim or pay attention very well. I can then take them out before they can even get my overshield down, and it replenishes to near full by the time I move on to the next target. In a 1v1 as an engineer instead of heavy, I would've won without even losing all my shields, but would've had to wait a bit to engage the next target, or at least the next 2-3. All the shield does in that situation is prevent me from having downtime.

But as soon as I face off someone that knows what they're doing, the shield becomes a last resort because mobility is a greater advantage than the health I gain. LMGs are some of the slower killing weapons, so me being able to tank a few more shots basically puts me at best on even playing field with other classes.

Another example goes back to maxes. They have the health and movement penalty set as constant. I'm often able to 1v1 a solo max just by moving back and forth between him, and he can't or has extreme trouble tracking me, enough to deci him twice and finish with lmg, no need to turn on shields.

Also the loadout for engineer is assimilate and survivalist. Survivalist helps with shield recharge. Symbiote as of now feels like it's a bit too hit or miss to use in non-medic loadouts.
  2. JustGotSuspended

Yeah I find it's best in tunnels, or staircases because it kinda forces you to stay in the bubble and hold your ground.

I've personally gotten a lot of kills using healing nade, resto, nano regen and vampire + carapace when auraxing my knives for black camo.

Basically pop a resto, throw a nade into a group of enemies and quickly shuffle towards them with with your regen on, and let the streak begin. Super powerful when it works, a lot of ragetells, and over 100+ knife knife kills in 30 minutes at ascent tunnels.

Another more cheesy technique is to use this build but with 1hk knife. Wait in the SCU room of a tower (preferably you are practically alone against massive zerg). When the point flips, overload SCU, wait. After you kill the first guy and ppl come rushing towards the gen, throw a nade, pop a resto and go to town.

I've had some insanely comical moments doing this, to the point people often had to pull MAXes to dislodge me after 10+ more minutes of trolling. Highly recommend trying at least once.
  3. Demigan

Sorry too many different people have a negative opinion on this and most don't suggest something other than "nuke it till the Infiltrator is no more".

Yes that is an elegant solution. It restricts cloak usefulness without actually nerfing the weapons or cloak directly. You could even allow the second weapon slot to be completely open. You could equip a cloak module or equip a second primary weapon. You would be a 900 health class with no ability and the choice between simultaneous long and short range weapons. I doubt it would be OP, just look at the Medic with it's powerful set of Assault Rifles, but the abilities that go with the Medic make many people not take it.
    • Up x 4
  4. UberNoob1337101

Start by fixing the latency issue of "cloaker didn't even uncloak before it killed me" and give a small, fraction of a second delay to cloak and if that's not enough, do watered down versions of the suggested nerfs, potentially either to cloak or some of the weapons, and if that's not enough still, bring out ye nerf hammer.

I'm pretty sure that it's possible to hit a balance between "this class is busted" and "this class is useless" if it's balanced step-by-step.
    • Up x 5
  5. DarkQuark

Yes, there is a reason for that.
  6. JustGotSuspended

Am I the only one that recalls the class being fine in beta? (After they removed shotguns).

Idk it seems everyone's intent on reinventing the wheel to keep the current infil mains please with their OP toy when back then we had something a bit more fair where no one complained (at least to this extent) on either side.

And overall I think it'd prolly be better if they reverted the old nanoweave. Pop numbers and player consensus seems to suggest people prefer playing games that give them a tiny margin to react instead of being instakilled.
  7. That_One_Kane_Guy

People are always going to complain about certain things in FPS games. I get as much salt from sniping people with a slug shotgun as I ever did with a bolt. At a certain point the how stops mattering and emotion takes over. There are definitely things that can be adjusted about the class and those things have been discussed at length already, some like Cloak visibility and a limit on Motion Dart Spam are my own suggestions. My personal pipe dream is to add an option for a NW Helmet that only protects against headshot damage and takes the slot for NWA, then we could look at the usage statistics and see how much of an issue people really consider it to be.

Ping limits. On a good connection there is a noticeable delay on the receiving end between decloak and firing. People using a VPN to connect to Connery via the Moon's Local WiFi shouldn't be astonished when things don't seem to function properly.

If we're going to start coding around network limitations then by all means let's get working on a way to stop getting killed around corners by Billy Bob with his router plugged into a bucket of water. Geese and Ganders and whatnot.

Infil used to be useless. It got buffed, other classes got nerfed, now its the best 1v1 class in the game. Yes there is wiggle room for adjustment, but the problem is some people consider 'balance' to be regression to the time when Infil was a joke class only considered useful for its wall hacks and haven't got it through their heads that those days are never coming back.
    • Up x 1
  8. JibbaJabba

I have a 30ms ping. But thanks for the advice. I'll put that here in the bucket next to "don't stand still".
    • Up x 3
  9. DarkQuark

That's really the whole issue. You have a 30ms ping roundtrip from the server to you but no telling what the other guy has and no telling how long the server in the middle will take to do what it needs to as well.. Add all that up and that's why infiltrators fire while invisible.
  10. JibbaJabba

Most of the time they don't fire while invisible. It's irrelevant though. With the delay that does occur (even on a perfect connection) It's just at the edge of human auditory reaction, and past that of human visual reaction. If they miss, it's game-on. But they will absolutely be able to stand **on-screen** and fire that first shot (with a ohk weap) before you can react.

So no, not technically invisible, but for practical purposes. Net result is that only one players skill matters in the outcome. It's a terrible experience.
    • Up x 3
  11. Demigan

Yes indeed! Like I said anything that gives people the feeling (justified or not) they couldn't protect themselves is considered OP by a large group of people. This is often paired with an unwillingness to try things to defend themselves as confirmation bias takes over. "It doesn't work because I tried but I got killed once anyway!". Ignoring the fact that it could be a fluke or that you survived for much longer, especially when it's from a weapon that surprises you like a sniper you don't see all the times someone does not pull the trigger because you were a hard target.
  12. DarkQuark

If mental gymnastics were an actual sport, you sir, would win the gold hands down.
  13. JustGotSuspended

if it weren't clear the dude's a highly skilled infil player lol. Definition of cheeselord. I wouldn't bother arguing with him lest you want a load of hilariously improbable reasons why the class is perfectly fun and balanced and it's all your fault you still haven't mastered the game with 10x his playtime.

Wouldn't be surprised it's the same guy as OP.
  14. Zhakathoom

Drivel.

I pay attention. Fighting, jumping, crouching, dodging and weaving. Killing this guy, trying to kill that guy. A reaver. BOOSHBOOSH!

DINK! A bolter madly spamming random bullets gets me at C on crown from within the spawnshield of Survan pump. I mean..

Or you spawn at a bus in the middle of nowhere at night and a shotgun flash is just going back and forth mauling everyone down..

Or you do your thing in a hecktic fight, down a guy or two and reload and there is a stalker just sitting there with a powerknife going: POOP!

Or even engaged in a fight with another guy, you nearly get him but he manages to scrape you down, and then the friendly infil decloaks and kills him.

Cloak just encourages ******, ****** gameplay. It's just not fun for anyone other than the miscreants who enjoy the salt they get from crutching on it.
    • Up x 3
  15. Liewec123

Ever since I got a new pc and monitor and moved up to 2k resolution I can see infils from a mile away,
    Seems at higher resolutions cloak is utterly useless :)

So yeah I don't really understand the constant infil QQ anymore
    because all I see is clearly visible dudes with 100 less HP running around with their weapon disabled XD
    Free kill!

but yeah I guess it might be an issue for folks who are still playing on windows XP at 360p
  16. DarkQuark

Um no.

Sure, a high res monitor large monitor for sure helps a lot but see them a mile away? Free kill? No.
  17. JibbaJabba

*sigh*
    Running 4k but again, thanks. I"ll put that in the bucket with the others....

Run high rez ... 4k, Check.
    Have good network ... 30ms, Check.
    Don't stand still ... 7k hours in the !#$ game, Check.

Anything else or can we *maybe* get around to the admission that something is wrong with the class? :p
    • Up x 4
  18. AllRoundGoodGuy

Think you need a gaming chair upgrade.
    • Up x 2
  19. Drgnx

Yes, get good and learn to Use the Force

This is how it's done: Noob NC sniper tries to take out VS O.G. Pro
    • Up x 1
  20. That_One_Kane_Guy

I can't imagine where in the entire paragraph you quoted you got the impression that I was seeking cleverless repartee instead of a reply containing actual substance, but alas.
    If a post does not mention or address you, you need not consider it advice.
    Keep building that strawman Ace, worked real well for you last time.
    Coming from someone who blatantly offers responses to his own alt account I find this comment rather hilarious in a sad, Three Stooges kind of way.