[BUG] Please Help Low FPS With Low CPU usage and GPU (Each core low usage)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by rserga11, Jul 18, 2017.

1. rserga11

https://pasteboard.co/GBzkCEq.png
    https://pasteboard.co/GBzkMzd.png
    Please Help I have tried everything.
    Setting game priority in the task manager to high
    Unpacking cores
    Overclocking the GPU and CPU
    Max performance in windows settings and nvidia control panel
    and probably many more fixes though the years but the fps has become so bad that i can not play like this anymore.
    Please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You.

Edit:
    Omg! Forgot to put my specs
    AMD FX 8120 OC to 4.2ghz CPU
    GTX 1060 6gb GPU
    16gb of 1600mhz ram
    And the other stuff i dont really remember and dont think its really important :)
  2. Sazukata

I too have no choice but to play on a potato, and here's my secret:

Put render distance to 500m, and put render quality to 50% (Or atleast 75). I see you have it at 100% and that is what's eating your GPU. For whatever reason it won't remember render quality each login for me (will revert to 75%), but it's worth the few seconds to put it back as it gives me an extra 10-15 allowing that oh so satisfying 50-60fps.

The game will look absolutely awful but framerate is just too important. How many frames do you get, and how much are you willing to compromise on graphics?

And I just noticed another thing in that screenshot, a fatal mistake... You're running the game Fullscreen Windowed. Very bad, that eats all of the resources since it's keeping full track of all non-game processes that way. Go proper Fullscreen or go home.
  3. rserga11

I already have low enough graphics for my pc, my pc should be able to handle the game on all max in 4k at least 30fps, The screenshots show that i was getting 30fps and the cpu and gpu was not even being used fully.
  4. Sazukata

Alright so it seems your setup is actually really good. That is in fact strange that you have to turn everything down and it still doesn't run well. As I mentioned, it could be that you're running the game in fullscreen windowed. Otherwise I'll pass this to someone more knowledgeable.
  5. rserga11

yea changing window mode doesnt do anything and increasing graphics quality does decrease fps so it probably is something with the game not wanting to use the whole gpu and probably the CPU. (CPU cores all get used quite evenly and none go above 70% but in other games like Star Wars battlefront on all max the cpu and the gpu get used 100% and i get 40-70 fps)
  6. Metalsheep

Your main issue may simply be that you are using an AMD processor. Planetside 2 has been notorious for not getting along very well with AMDs architecture. It runs on Intel machines quite a bit better.

What resolution are you running on?

What sort of Motherboard are you running? Do you have a cheapo or micro motherboard housing those parts? If so, the Motherboard itself could possibly be bottlenecking your entire rig with a North Bridge that isn't up to snuff.

If its just PS2 you are having trouble with, Id be willing to bet its the AMD processor, but it could be a number of reasons.
  7. rserga11

It should not be the CPU as each of the cores is only being used up to 70% so it should not be the bottleneck. Can you not see the two screenshot links at the top of my original post? Also the resolution should not matter because my gpu can easily handle the game! here are the screenshots again
    https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/GBzkCEq.png
    https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/GBzkMzd.png
    The motherboard that i have is this 990FXA-UD3 and it should also be fine as the cpu and gpu can both be used fully at 100% without them overheating or anything.
  8. Towie

Games are not great at fully utilizing multiple cores due to the linear nature of much of the processing. As Metalsheep said, the older AMD processors are pretty awful when it comes to games - FX 8120 is built around the Bulldozer core which has poor IPC (instructions-per-clock) AND a shared FPU per 2-cores, crippling floating point performance (used heavily in many games).

Quoted from a game test on this very processor: Our game test lacks data for the two Sandy Bridge CPUs as we tested these some time ago, however, with the Intel Core i5-3570K retailing for just £30-40 more, it's clear from our results that the FX-8120 isn't a great buy for games either. The Intel CPU was 60 per cent faster in Arma II while costing around 30 per cent more - not a bad rate of return if you can afford the extra layout.

If you look at older posts regarding poor performance you will see AMD comes up a lot i'm afraid but there are things you can do. Your graphics card is great - various graphics options shift more work to the GPU so this is something you should look at. There are performance guides around.

But the first thing you should do is - disable shadows.
  9. rserga11

First of all i posted 2 screenshots twice, one showing that EVERY core is being used less than 70% if the CPU was a bottleneck and ingame next to the fps it clearly shows GPU and at least the first core should be being used 100% if it was the bottleneck but it is not and the screenshots also show my graphics settings including shadows being off!! and I have seen many people with the same CPU having much more fps and with worse GPUs.
  10. DeadlyOmen

Asks for help, then fights with everyone.

Allllriiiiighty then!
  11. rserga11

Here are the images again using different method again.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  12. rserga11

I am not fighting anyone its just anoying that people are not looking at the screenshots and they just keep saying things that I have done like years ago like turning shadows on...... I am not a ******* ****** I Indie game developer for ***** sake
  13. blackboemmel

It actually is a bug that the game tells you that your [GPU] is your bottleneck. It's not.
    It may help your fps if you turn up some of the graphic settings to "Ultra" or "High" (not "Shadows" or other stuff calculated by the CPU).
    But still, your CPU sucks for gaming, especially for this game, while your GPU could run the game on ultra settings.
  14. rserga11

If it is my CPU why do people with the same CPU get way more fps and why are none of the cores being used 100% even in games like minecraft that use less cores the cores that are used go up to 100% if the CPU is the bottleneck. Even in arma 3 I get better fps than this game.
  15. Towie

I apologise profusely for trying to help you and in the future will ensure that I absolutely do not.

CPU is still a piece of **** though.
    • Up x 1
  16. JibbaJabba

Turning **** down ain't the solution. Your hardware should peg FPS at your refresh rate with Ultra settings.

As bad as it it, does it stay steady or get worse if you crank up everything to ultra (I mean everything, incl shadows, gpu physics etc..?)

Ultimately the only thing I can think of is optimization issues either with PS to that CPU, or the GPU driver to that CPU. Drivers and firmware may be the only real options. You indicated it's gotten worse? Is there an older driver perhaps without a regression you can try? Have you tried disabling hyperthreading on the CPU. If there is ever a spot where optimization struggles, that's it. Gains are usually minimal, but if there are issues, performance can plummet.

Also, get *everything* GPU related away from any background tasks. Don't run recording utilities, any Windows skins, or anything else that could cause one more layer in the IRP stack alongside the video driver. Disable HDMI audio, disable extra ports and run single monitor (again, not a performance need... just trying to eliminate a possible optimization pothole)
  17. rserga11

If I turn up all of the settings to max including shadows and all then get 20-50fps (With all 25-70fps, the decrease is mainly due to the shadows but cpu usage and gpu usage is around the same)
    I will try experimenting with the drivers today and get back to you maybe tomorrow, hyperthreading is only on intel cpus and I dont use anything else in the background only chrome which doesnt change fps but I do have 3 monitors but they also don't have an effect on the game but if I play the game on all 3 the fps does drop quite a lot and gpu usage increases slightly.
  18. Sazukata

A lot of this stuff is over my head, but I like to poke around in settings. In the "power plans" (Windows 10), you can go into advanced settings and alter the processor's minimum and maximum frequency. If you happen to not be on the "high performance" plan, it could have either setting at less than 100%, which would hurt gaming.

It's probably already in the right place, but might as well take a look. It might explain the lack of utilization.
  19. rserga11

I am using windows 7 and already have set the windows power to maximum performance :/
    • Up x 1
  20. JibbaJabba

Aye, definitely look into disabling the other monitors as a troubleshooting step.

If you have Windows 10 as an option that would be good too. Planetside seems to multithread well. The GPU drivers run on the CPU though. Older Windows (I think pre-win7, but I'm just not sure) were horrific and basically killed the first couple cores while leaving the others idle. Net CPU would seem low while the GPU performance was bad. NVidia has also done some multithreading performance tweaks over the years. There is always a chance they introduced a regression somewhere. If I hit forumside from home I'll check what drivers I'm running (980ti, same basic driver).

Also... PhysX .. try disabling that in the card settings.... shot in the dark.