Please do something about the cheating.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TrojonKing 1st, May 8, 2020.

1. TRspy007

No this is a "bug" that I thought they fixed a while back. Before, as you warped into the bio from that spawn room, sometimes the blocked door actually took extra time to render, so you could effectively walk through it (provided your internet/server was bad enough), because it was unblocked.

It actually happened to me once, I walked through that door and basically scared the **** out of a ton of Vanu. This is a bug that I haven't seen for years now, since they implemented the new spawn system inside bios.

However, if the guy chooses to exploit it, that's an issue.
  2. Alkasirn

Either the door didn't load for 9+ minutes or he chose to exploit it for 9+ minutes. Additionally, he was walking through the hardlight barrier. In any case, the account's still around and is ASP 46 now.

Funny thing though I remember in 2012 or 2013, there was a similar issue where if you stood far enough away from a spawn the shields would disappear and you could shoot through them. I remember the spawn killing was getting real bad at a base, and a dev hopped on to send a broadcast saying anyone firing into the spawn would be punished. So anyway, that dude's ASP 46 now.
    • Up x 2
  3. then00b

There were a few weird issues with spawn shields. The non rendering thing, and splash damage would go through them. The latter of which is hard to not do with how many damned explosive weapons there are in the game and the nature of how spawns get camped in zergy enough fights. Probably the only time they seemed to fix anything seemingly quickly since it was such an unavoidable exploit.
    • Up x 1
  4. Campagne

I think you cut out my responses the most of anyone, and that's saying something. If by "tangent" you mean "blowing your argument right out of the water to suffocate and die under indifferent eyes like a small fish to an old woman with dementia," I don't think I really should.

I can contradict you by simply stating the obvious. Where did I say such things? Cheaters are relatively uncommon but exist in substantial enough populations to have a direct influence on the gameplay and enjoyment of others. I've maintained these populations are considerably larger than your projections, you are the one suggesting cheaters are rare. I stand by my guess of 10%, which seems to be roughly backed by the survey. Drop the strawmen, won't you dear?

What, you think I keep tabs on cheaters? I report them, or not, and they are gone from my mind. I'm not good with names anyway so like Hell could I remember any well enough to search them up on the player site. Regardless, you're shifting the goalposts.

I have. I've shown your assertions are false and provided empirical evidence suggesting cheaters represent a relatively large percentage of players on average. Given PS2 lacks the resources to effectively eliminate cheating and has failed to notably deviate its playerbase from that of other games there is nothing to suggest the figures presented by the survey are untrue or that they do not apply to PlanetSide 2.

Now, don't try to wiggle away from responsibility. I still haven't forgotten. Provide evidence of your claims on the number of cheaters or why PS2 somehow deviates from other online MMOs and/or FPSes or admit you're wrong.

Furthermore, MOAR strawmanning. Regardless, as I've said not only have I stopped using ShadowPlay altogether due to poor optimization causing FPS constraints, I've also just not played PS2 for a while. I've got better things to do and better games to play. (Recently I've been playing a lot of Warframe with friends to the point that I'm getting sick of it again.)

You've yet to see any videos of cheaters? "Scroll up" as you're so fond of saying, or scroll down. However this time there actually exists an exhibit for you to bear witness. Also strawman, again. Going for an all-time forum record here? I've not said anything about anyone who disagrees with me. I don't think I've even directly addressed you with any particular hostility, yet you accuse me of calling everyone else some censored expletive to claim the moral superiority? I suppose you have no argument to make instead...

You inspire me.

What exactly isn't suspicious about this character? Your act here is preposterous and comical. Every sentence degrades what little support you might have had. The character linked has a current HSR of 78% with the Carv, a SPM of almost 2000, a KPM of 3.76, a KDR of 4.65 and scores multiple headshot kills within seconds. He has 94 kills in less than 25 minutes and you think anything about that is legit?
  5. TRspy007

goodnight
  6. TRspy007

As I said, alts of a good player. You can tell he just sees a good farm on his main (say a biolab for example), picks the character on that advantaged faction and farms some stats. His accuracy isn't anything spectacular, sure, his headshot ratio is high, but he has like 90 kills on his character. Not numbers that'll give you a good glimpse of his performance...

https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428998138728607569/weapons
    https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428998138731626641/weapons

Find a good farm, you'll get a a few kills. Just because you have trouble killing people doesn't mean others suffer your handicap, and it doesn't mean people must cheat to be better than you.

Yup, rage along :mad:

page 10 and I'm still waiting for your video evidence of how cheaters impact your sessions
  7. TRspy007

Likely an exploit if he's still around.

Usually most exploiters/stat-padders just get a 1 week suspension from what I've seen.
  8. Towie

Rej - oh he's definitely 'a touch laggy' as confirmed by his killboard:
    [IMG]

Zona - definitely killing people from under the map.

So as I get this right in my head - are you actually saying that neither of these are cheating ?

Maybe it's me who has it all wrong. I found myself in control of an invincible Vanguard - so I drove it to the edge of the map and left it there. Should I have just continued to use and abuse ?

As to the other videos I mentioned relating to the hacks, i'm not going to post the links (as they are clearly selling them) - hopefully people will understand that, but they are not hard to find.
    • Up x 2
  9. TRspy007

dead

You've proven "empirical evidence"? Where so exactly, because at most you've brought up an article that said 3% of gamers online cheat from a cybersecurity survey. "The company surveyed 9,436 consumers and online gamers in China, Germany, Japan, South Korea, UK, and the US."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nelson...-a-big-problem-in-online-gaming/#12a76c847663

I honestly hope you're not being serious, because you've done, nothing, 0, nada, null, rien, nihil, لا شيئ to demonstrate that there are in fact mass amounts of cheaters in the game. Quit trying to pretend like it's my fault you don't have an argument.

You're the dude accusing the game of being full of hackers, you can't even provide a piece footage from your sessions to confirm so. I don't expect you need to keep tabs on them, the way you speak I'd expect you log on an encounter a dozen just at the wg. Show us your sessions, so we can see where these accusations are coming from. It's really not that difficult, after all, you're the accuser. You can't even provide any footage from outsiders either to support that cheating is anything more than a mere anomaly, much less any sort of cheating that doesn't involve exploiting known bugs.

Yeah, you have performance issues and can't run shadowplay, but you believe everything rendered on your screen is done correctly? My *** dude. I'll call ******** on that. You either can't record because you know you're full of **** (there's simply no hackers for you to record), or you're serious and I have no idea why you're on the forums discussing about cheaters, because your rig can't even run the game.

So as I've already said, you can't prove your point, quit lying to yourself; you don't have any evidence (much less empirical) to prove hackers are a majority of players, and you probably never will. Watch the video I said, maybe it'll show you how to construct a proper opinion, the proof he links will give you a little idea of what's expected of you.

Next time, don't make up wild accusations you can't even back up, because your rig can't run the game.
  10. Campagne

Nighty night, don't let the bed bugs bite!

You can say it all you want but there in nothing legitimate about that character.

Both of these are much the same. High KDR, very high HSR, average accuracy, and very high KPM on very young characters created today/yesterday with multiple headshots within seconds. How could this not be suspicious?

Cheaty cheater, he's not good he's blatant.

Rage? You give yourself far too much credit. Do you really think I'm anything other than amused when I type these things?

Fallacy #64 here. Stop trying to shift the goalposts when you can't substantiate an argument.

Where did you get 3%? It clearly states 12%. Here's that quote again in case you forgot: "While 57% of gamers globally stated they have never used third-party tools to cheat in multiplayer games online, a substantial proportion of 12% admitted to being cheaters: regularly taking action including modifying game files and/or using hardware tools to cheat."
    (https://irdeto.com/news/new-global-...ultiplayer-online-games-frustrates-consumers/)

In our rough estimate of 100,000 players in PS2 that'd be about 12,000 cheaters all playing at once. That's pretty substantial. :p

Strawman, already proved my point, I'm not interested in taking down the little guys I want the head cut off, strawman. Still waiting on any scrap of evidence from you dearyboi.
  11. TRspy007

I'm crying :D:D:D

Lmao you didn't even quote it properly. 12% was a maximum.

Here is the link that give the actual survey results (from the same research), I'm sure you never looked, it says 3% of players always cheat.

" of which 5911 were gamers" also a small important addition, as I said, it's important to look at the surveyed population, and in what context it was done. Hopefully they'll teach you the fundamentals of research before you reach high school.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nelson...-a-big-problem-in-online-gaming/#12a76c847663

That's an estimated 3000 in our hypothetical scenario based on that, and DBG caught 20 modifying hitboxes using old assets back then. You're gonna tell us that because of this sample research (conducted by a cybersecurity company, selling their services to games) there MUST be an insane amount of cheaters in the game?

Also the hypocrisy, DBG is lying, but in no way is that survey bias. Lol dude, you're full of **** you can even see what you're barfing out as "replies".

Strawman, strawman, strawman. So predictable. Dodge everything you fear might shine light on your faceless act. I doubt you have any idea what that means, and if you throw hackusations around like that in vain attempts to defend your patheticness, it's no wonder you see hackers everywhere.

Same story, you haven't proved anything, you're circling around the bush deflecting every bit of actual proof, you're twisting reality, and you are unable to link a single extract of your in game encounters with cheaters. So common, yet I'll be dead before we get to see a video of one impacting your play. You seriously don't see how linking a video or two of you encountering cheaters on your average session will help prove your statement 'cheaters are a problem I encounter frequently in game'??Instead you prefer to incorrectly regurgitate irrelevant crap, that does nothing to support your claim or convince anyone you're mentally sane. It would be insulting to call you a mong, they don't do it on purpose.

Keep dreaming dude, mad cuz bad.

Don't bother linking anything other than video evidence the game is infested with cheaters, and you can't have a single session without people aimbotting, modifying hitboxes (which is impossible to do), or whatever crap you invent to justify why someone didn't out-skill you in the game.
  12. Alkasirn

Sure, but a cheater is a cheater. You don't need to fly around and spawn orbital strikes 900 times per minute to affect someone's game.

So here's an example of how cheaters can impact sessions:
    When the hitbox editing was at its peak, I had no clue about it (I don't go around looking for ideas on how to cheat!) but my play style was hit particularly hard by it. See, I'm plenty happy medic'ing just behind the frontlines, making sure everyone else is alive with as much health as possible. At chokepoints, I can find myself behind a door for 15+ minutes just healing away and I'm plenty content with that.

So, naturally, I put a lot of consideration into it as well: A medic can heal/revive someone no matter where they are looking. There are situations where you want to heal someone who moved out of cover, but fear your hands might be exposed, so you turn around so your target is behind you and continue healing completely behind cover, flak armor is more useful than all other abilities combined - have fun watching all the people you C4'd get revived by the person who can't get C4'd, etc.

Well. When your head's hitbox is half the size of a cheater's ego, none of that matters. You can be behind cover for 10+ minutes and not be harmed by 20+ players shooting around your cover. But the instant a hitbox cheater comes by, they'll chain headshots on you trying to hit the HA they see or what have you.

So you know what I did after *multiple* players kept hitting me with 100% HSR through walls I've been behind for minutes at a time every single battle for weeks straight? I quit. (The vocal minority in the community making every single excuse they could possibly imagine for every blatant example of a cheat back then didn't help at all, either.) That's how it affected my sessions for a while: it made them stop existing.

(Sure I'd come back ever so often, but then quit again within a week after not seeing a significant change in the game. This is the most confident I've been in PS2 for a while, but for all I know those "shadow hacks" I've been hearing about will just end up a repeat of the hitbox edits - "No, they're not cheating, it's just 600000ms lag and they're good at aiming!")
    • Up x 2
  13. TRspy007

That's the thing: at it's peak, only 20 individuals were abusing the hitbox cheat. Yes they ruined fights, yes DBG took action (number was down to 6 a few mounts after) - it's now impossible to play by modifying hitboxes - but the overall reaction was to overstate something that in the end was just a typical challenge games face, and Planetside 2 seemed to handle pretty damn well.

The problem usually boils down to lag, hardware/settings and experience aiming. If the game had better netcode and upgraded servers, I'm sure it would help some people get a clearer picture of what's around them. Usually with experience, people start realizing that hackers are just rare outliers, and are dealt with pretty decently.

If you haven't already seen this, start this video at 7 minutes for the discussion surrounding hackers. He did a really good job laying out the problem and sourcing why it's been wrongly blown out of proportions.

14. Towie

Well at the least we can do a statistical check.

HSR 78% on the Carv would put him in the top 15 on this stat ever (the stats still include people from 2012 who haven't played for years - possibly banned - who knows)

This translates to a standard deviation delta of 8 on HSR https://voidwell.com/ps2/player/5428998138733074641/weapons and so gets a suspicious flag.

He appears to be just running and gunning based on his killboard and SPM - which pulls another suspicious flag on his KPH.

Character created yesterday and only played for just over 20 minutes - possibly banned...
    • Up x 1
  15. Simferion

From what source are you extrapolating those number?
    If it's from DBG, well, you are really naive.
    Are you really expecting an enterprise tells you their service/game/business/store is riddled with problems?

Are you seriously telling us that a "cheat" consisting in editing a text file was so underused?
    (Also, you are forgetting the fact there was another cheat, to make the enemies always spotted)

By the way blatant cheaters are very few and they are usually trolls, advertisers, kids.

Stealth cheaters are more.
    I don't know why most people think cheaters are necessarily bad players. They can also be skilled players who are unsatisfied with their skill and they wanto to stroke their ego, padding their stats.
    And not all the cheaters are plain idiots, there are smart cheater using just a little help.
    • Up x 1
  16. Alkasirn

I find that completely unbelievable unless literally all 20 played on Emerald around the time I would and/or would randomly hop onto different characters in the middle of fights.

Last I heard, it actually is possible! A while back I was going through things and discussing the "fairness" of PS2 with a pal. I stumbled across a page showing that the file is still in the game, but encrypted - except it barely qualifies as "encrypted" at all - to the point that, after a patch or something, just one person has to do a little leg work then they can share how to make a modified file simply by using a hex editor or something. It's the same thing as before, just that you're using a hex editor instead of a text editor!

'Course, maxing out the head hitbox would be like begging for battleye to catch you so it's not so blatant anymore. But what about a 5% increase or so? Consider a player who doesn't "hack", but they're more of a "modder" and have 5% more volume to shoot at than other players. How would you confirm that in stats or a video? Hell, how would you confirm that as a developer? (How can you tell "this file was intentionally modified to give an advantage" vs "this file was corrupted after a hard drive failure" for example. Maybe that's the number DBG found? 20 players who used the same file such as maxed out hitboxes; not 20 players whose hitbox file was different. I'd believe that.) Nonetheless, a cheater is still a cheater!

Yeah, that's the point I got to when I quit! It's that "fairness" I talked about earlier: I figured either there's examples of someone intentionally cheating, or the netcode is giving them such a significant advantage that they're on the same level as a cheater (although, at least in that case, they don't want to be!) Neither situation's more enjoyable to be in than the other. Hence why the server improvements are so exciting!

Even then, there's some real funky stuff going on! Like that one time I was in a field in Esamir and it didn't seem like anything was nearby, then I noticed what seemed to be an AV phalanx turret projectiles firing full auto at me (I never saw the turret itself). I died, and a little while later, 7 other players died all within a second of each other from the AV phalanx turret. PS2 said we were all killed by a repair grenade or something, Fisu said we were killed by "2016 Holiday Countdown Day 1", DA said we were killed by "Item #6004445", and the PS2 players site would crash and be unable to load the killboard! The player who killed 12 of us with this mysterious full auto holiday countdown doesn't seem to have ever gotten punished for it! I imagine that's the sort of thing that gets people riled up and makes people feel like cheaters aren't punished.
    • Up x 2
  17. Johannes Kaiser

That story, while certainly awful from a certain perspective, is also quite amusing from another. Imagine the "hard work" someone must have put in to create an asset named Holiday Countdown. :D
    • Up x 2
  18. Alkasirn

Right?? I've done everything short of printing out and framing that death. (Unfortunately I didn't cap the death screen cause I thought it was just some weird bug til I heard 100 explosions go off and every triangle on my map turned into a skull!)

A weapon so powerful it causes the API to shrug and give up. Where can I buy one of those?
    • Up x 1
  19. TRspy007

I got that number from DBG Reddit posts back when the community was pestering them to take action against the cheaters. Of course, you must have evidence of your own to claim it's false and there's hackers everywhere, I'll happily wait for you to link it.
  20. TRspy007

I pointed that out to say your story was pretty unbelievable, in hopes of getting you to reflect a bit. Nice uno reverse lol. If you have any proof that those numbers were a lie, please link it so we can sue the producer together!

Please, try it out. You have to use old game files to do so which are easily verified and banned. You get automatically kicked out by the battleeye after a few minutes. There's no such thing as a "subtle" cheat. As I said, the system cross-references it and sees it doesn't line up, autoban. You can change the hitbox by 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000001, it's still a change, still detectable, especially because the files are outdated.

That's the problem, the issue isn't necessarily hacking, it's more of a perception that people are hacking. As you mentioned, people quit games due to hackers, so it's something every game takes seriously, because they want to make money after all. In those regards, it would benefit the game more to level out the playing grounds than to go on some wild goose chase looking for all the "subtle cheaters".

Would you say examples like that plague your daily gameplay? Overall, are hackers as common as you (and others) would make it seem? If yes, why not link a bit of footage from your sessions, where you can call out cheaters, and we can actually see how many ruin your gameplay? Don't be like the other guys and tell me you can't; I've been really curious to see the game through your lens!