Playing less and less because of Air, taking an indefinite break

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Bejita231, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Kubor

My own personal view is that if any kind of vehicle at all can camp a spawn room then that is down to some pretty dubious game design decisions.

It was rather foolish on the part of the developers to allow this to happen. I hope that they do thigs differently on new continents in the future.

There are a few things in this game that you look at as a gamer and just shake your head in dismay. This is one of them for me. It is also something that was hands down better handled by the Planetside 1 developers.
    • Up x 1
  2. Subquake

I'm more bothered by the total bailout that every faction employs when they aren't winning. There is always a zerg of armor and air and infantry. When you start losing a continent, you bail and go to a different one. You can't get any resources, so why stay? Also when one faction has more population than another, they may decide to log onto another FREE ACCOUNT on the larger side. XP from base caps is better than the impossible odds of defending and capping against the larger zerg. It is pointless.
    • Up x 1
  3. Sinoby

Arguing with people, that just scream OP doesn't make sence. Again, same scenario - you have equal ammount of pkayers to enemy, what are your pmayers doing, when they see a zerg coming in? They have 15 libs and 20 esf, the best way to counter them is:
    choose a ground that fits your requirements to defend, land several AA groups of maxes, not in one place obviously
    Place your armor column in front of AA
    Bring your air support from nearby base.

In such case you may bit enemy zerg. If you don't have coordination, required to bit such force - you loose. If you refuse to bring your air support - you loose. If you refuse to bring tank support to defend maxes and infantry - you loose. It is simple.
    The issue is not about facing army against enemy army. Issue at hand is liberator a little bit too versatile, it should have more specialization (zephyr - ai, dalton - at).. And I agree with that. But pulling out randim numbers to prove libs being OP is dtupid argument.
  4. Grizzly-Konried

You really can't get away from ANY type of spawn camping.

In PS1 it was MAXs starring right at you in your armor-less suit as soon as you spawned
    In PS2, at least you can shoot out of the doors.

But the point is, we have to spawn somewhere, and aside from the WG all spawn points are going to collide with the enemy. There really is no difference whether it's infantry or mobile armor camping you. You cannot get around spawn camping period unless you have a game where there's only one life or we only spawn at the WG, but even then, people would camp the WG.

I challenge you to come up with alternative to the spawn camping dilemma. I am genuinely interested if there's a way around it. There are ways to minimize it, but even if you had underground spawn bunkers, what you would see is the enemy parked out in front of the entrance with all of its armor and AMSs, and then bucket loads of infantry pouring in. While this may sound cool in concept because it means you'll have to fight your way out, it's deceiving because a) once armor is all outside you're done, and b) the indoor combat results in so much friendly fire it makes it more frustrating than fun. Ever played BF3? Metro 64 players? K, now add another 50 players.
    • Up x 1
  5. Kubor

I very strongly disagree with that. I played the original from 2003 right up until the latter stages of the PS2 beta. Spawn camping happened, but not that often and never by vehicles. Even the ScatterMAX could be overcome and often was.

As far as a solution goes, make the spawn room and surrounding area impervious to vehicles. I can handle MAX units and Infantry being around spawn rooms, I actually find that a challenging and fun mechanic. In Planetside 2 we have pain fields in spawn rooms to keep enemy infantry out, but many of those same spawn areas can be camped by vehicles. That just doesn't make sense to me.

A lot of spawn rooms are cheesy boxes of death placed in pointless outposts that cannot be defended. They add nothing to the game, instead they encourage lame gameplay in the form of vehicles being able to camp to their hearts content. It's only fun for one side of that equation. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Camping is lame. I've never played a game nor interacted with other gamers and heard it described any other way.

It just beggars belief that the devs of this game have consciously added a mechanic that is reviled in PvP gaming circles and has been for as long as I have been gaming.

At least in PS1 spawn camping had some form of purpose. In PS2 it's just a cheap way of getting easy mode kills in a vehicle before rolling on with the unstappoable zerg-blob to the next camping point.

There's a very interesting thread on PSU about why these current mechanics are hurting the game. It's something that I feel strongly about and also something that I believe needs fixing if SOE is serious about this game being around for years to come, and for it to have an e-sport aspect that people wil take seriously.
    • Up x 1
  6. Nubs

It takes 3 dual burster maxes to take out a lib effectively (ie before they can simply turn and fly out of range). I do think the libs were ok but I dont understand why they buffed the tail turrets, wasn't necessary. They had a choice before - high altitude - low risk bombing, with less accuracy and less damage or low altitide, high risk bombing with better accuracy and a lot more damage. Now low altititude is low risk because ESF's cant swoop on them from behind without getting shot to **** by a good tail gunner.
  7. Sinoby

Thisvis so true. Problem is not liberators/HE canonc, rocketpods. Problem is the ability to spawn camp from inside a vehicle with very low risk. And it needs to be fixed
  8. Kubor

The current gameplay would be a heck of a lot better if the hard counter for the Libs actually flew up higher and did just that.

Unfortunately too many ESF's are still concentrating on ground targets where the easy kills are.

How many times do you see your side being obliterated by Libs whilst friendly ESF's ignore them in favour of enemy ground targets?

Until there is a serious threat of visiting the spawn tubes to ESF's that fly low this will continue to be what happens. Until that and the mechanics that mean we're all overflowing with resources and can vastly outlast our timers change, this game will a massive furball of unstoppable vehicles rolling round continents in pointless whack-a-mole circles.

Right now the developers might as well remove timers and resources for all the impact they have on gameplay. They might as well remove bases as well whilst they're at it and just replace them with flagpoles that depict the colour of the empire that last "captured" them.
  9. Grizzly-Konried

If you played PS1 then you know camping was an issue. You cannot blatantly disregard this truth as it does nothing to solve the problem. I cannot fathom how you could not remember what happened once the enemy was in the base. What did they do? They went for the spawn room each and every time.

I played PS1 starting from day 1, and I know camping was an issue for two reasons

1) I was victim of it all the time
    2) Why do you think they added pain fields? (rhetorical question but it was to prevent camping).

The spawn rooms were impervious to vehicles but like I said this does not prevent spawn camping as the vehicles are simply replaced with infantry.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. You complain about tanks. Someone else will complain about MAXs. How do we please both?

There is one simple point no one can get around. In a game which has respawning, the spawn zone is always going to collide with the enemy.

You're not supposed to let the enemy get that close period. If you did, you lost. If you travel with an outfit though, 3 engineers with mines a couple HAs can stop a whole column. Once they've bypassed your line of defense though what do you expect...a fair fight?

You can stop armor columns with the right organization. I should know, my little outfit has halted armor divisions trying to cross bridges.

No one says it's cool but two things:

1) sometimes you need to accept defeat and spawn somewhere else. Stop being stubborn and giving them kills
    2) Spawn camping is inevitable

No spawn camping was the same in PS1. Both serve a purpose to prevent the enemy from being able to reach the capture point in order to defend it. In both games you had players who would just do it for the easy kills. That's in every game.
  10. Kubor

If you read my reply to you, I already said that I didn't see camping as an issue in PS1.

I don't know why you're pretending otherwise.

You saw it as an issue. I didn't.

What else is there to say on that particular matter?

I would pick that aspect of Planetside 1 over what we have in Planetside 2 in a heartbeat.

Planetside 1 had its problems, but it was a better game than Planetside 2 currently is in a number of ways.

Planetside 2 has fantastic graphics and far superiour infantry gunplay. Planetside 1 was a better game in terms of the sum of all of its parts.

Hopefully Planetside 2 will get there one day. But I'm not kidding myself that it's even close to being there yet. It's not been around for anything like as long for a start.
  11. RykerStruvian

The solution is simple: stop playing mobile infantry and/or ground armor. Spawn nothing but liberators and ESF. Its super ez and there will always be people to farm off of. Bought rocketpods yesterday and after two hours I was 40:1. Super stupid easymode.
  12. TeknoBug

Spawn camping in PS1 wasn't as notorious as it is in PS2, you can park tanks right at the building door in PS2 but in PS1 you spawned downstairs which forced infantry to get into the building to get us out of there. The towers is where I've had some of the most epic fights in PS1, I haven't had an epic fight at all yet in PS2.

Back on topic, simply put, AA vs air in this game is a stupid joke, while in PS1 AV infantry weapons (<3 the Lancer), turrets (automatic or manned), Starfire, Burster and Sparrow MAX and skyguard were dangerous to air.
  13. Tallon

There are two main issues.

1/ Libs should have a 30 second timer between switching seats but should also have squad / plane sharing xp for all seats not give most of the xp to the bomber. Then surprisingly we'll actually see more libs but with three people not two with one switching seats all the time.

2/ Skyguards don't work properly, their useless, turrets are underpowered. AA maxes and rockets are acceptable but the lack of decent turrets and decent skyguards is making AA unworkable.

PS ESF's should be able to kill libs a bit faster than they do at present.
  14. Vansoth

MAXes do not counter air and neither do skyguards. They merely deter the air from having its way with your ground forces. Occasionally you will get a kill or an assist but on the whole it is going to be alot of shooting for little reward in the way of exp. If you want to KILL other aircraft then you need to spawn your own ESF and dedicate an AA loadout.

I drive a tank mostly and I have a certed up burster MAX and I don't really mind air being so powerful I just wish there was a way to get more certs per hour playing as ground anti air. Oh and how about letting me mount an effective AA weapon as my prowlers secondary. A single burster arm would be an upgrade over the current choice.
  15. ScrapyardBob

Skyguards are "almost good". Their problem is:
    - Too small of a clip size (we need a cert tree to have larger clips, say +10 shots/level)
    - Not quite enough range to hit high flying libs (needs about another 100-150m)
    - Not quite enough bullet speed
    - Not quite enough damage (10% more would be about right)
    - Slightly too large of a cone of fire.

A solo Skyguard should be capable of shredding a low-flying ESF (under 200m range) as long as you can land 40 rounds. Currently, you need more like 60-70 rounds hitting. So between the increased ammo clip size and slightly more damage, things would swing into line where low-flying ESFs would have to be cautious around Skyguards. And a pair of skyguards would provide a very firm counter against a solo ESF farming the troops. Aerial assets would then need to neutralize the skyguards before starting their strafing runs on the troops.

MAX suits are about right. Very mobile, very good at short-mid ranges in groups of 3+. That's not to say that a slight (5-10%) boost would not be useful, but it might be too much. The balance line there is pretty narrow.

G2A missiles are just garbage at the moment. With luck, you'll get about a 25% hit rate. The rest of the time, you either have the hard counter of flares, or the ESF just uses their afterburner to outrun the missile. And even if you do hit an ESF, it's like a flea bite rather then a good chunk of their health. The dedicated G2A lock-on needs a hefty damage increase and faster travel speed. An ESF pilot should be puckering and running as soon as they hear the lock tone if their flares are on cooldown.
  16. Talizzar

Then this is the real problem in the game and exemplifies this issue with Air being totally OP and needed some serious refinements.
  17. Talizzar

Skyguards are far to easy to kill with a single ESF and Rockets. Why should they be able to kill me in a hope and pray rocket volley when 90 percent of the Skyguard shots miss or is it 99 percent. How do you track planes and fire while trying to drive a tank and avoid ESF fire etc.
  18. Proplayer

flying tanks and cheats have ruined Planetside 2. SOE balance team is completely and utterly WoW noobish.
  19. Chrysalis

Funny thing. The tank/infatry interactions work well.

It's the Air/everything else interaction that is completely ****** up. You cannot have a piece of the triad that can only be effectively dealt with by itself. This doesn't work out very well.

And it shows not only in how this game is bleeding players, but how BF3 has over time become filled with servers that play the most air-unfriendly maps available.
    • Up x 1
  20. road-runn3r

Hmm no, this forum is full of "single role" players: "we infiltrators bla bla" "the lib pilots bla bla" "we tank drivers bla bla" and I rarely see people use more than one or two vehicles in the game.

The amount of ***** I give if you believe me or not is quite small.. I know no frustration of facing a lib ever. I get a single ESF from the closest tower and hunt them down.

Every kind of zerg will have the same effect on you. 40 tanks plus infantry support will eat you alive in the same way. Another proof that you don't really know the game at all.

You pretend to win against an air massive zerg with a few maxes and decide to whine here when you get killed. Ofc against an air zerg like that you need massive numbers. FFS how is that so hard to get??
    • Up x 1