Player studio for Planetside 2

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Brewergamer, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Brewergamer

(title) Yes please! (to those that don't know, it's pretty much a steam workshop except for SOE games). See if you look here: https://player-studio.soe.com/ you can see that on the bottom right it says "Planetside 2 Coming soon!" Which means that most likely we will have the player studio for Planetside 2 sometime soon (hopefully). This excites me because imagine the diversity and creativity that this would create for Planetside 2. If you do this SOE I shall love you forever.

- Brewer
  2. RobotNinja

I guess since SOE has decided that all their weapons are going to have the exact same models/textures as every other one that it's up to the player community, hmmmm?
  3. Cl1mh4224rd

I really can't see them allowing anything significant like weapons or vehicles. Player-created weapons seem like a recipe for disaster in a multiplayer game (who wouldn't use a player-created equivalent of the BFG 9000?).

I imagine it will be for mostly cosmetic items like vehicle decals, infantry patches, etc.
  4. Brewergamer

Team fortress 2. Nuff said. And like that other guy said earlier, SOE is too lazy to personally make different designs for every weapon. They just use the same design with different stats. Might as well have players create some different new designs instead of using the default design on everything.
  5. Brewergamer

6. Brewergamer

I wanted to comment: This is something SOE would be balancing themselves.. it's the cosmetic weapon designs they would be using. Kthx.
  7. the pestimist

and community makes great weapon designs sometimes
    [IMG][IMG][IMG]I don't take the credit though
  8. Dice

The VSR is sweet. OP but sweet.
    • Up x 1
  9. Cl1mh4224rd

Has this been stated anywhere? I don't think I've seen it mentioned anywhere. Is this how it's done with the other games? I'm not familiar with them.
  10. QuantumMechanic

Yeah, it's only a matter of time before we have droves of player-made skull helmets, hockey masks and mohawk helmets. I just can't wait.
  11. Noxx(ia)

This is something they announced would be happening during the beta :) Should be exciting.
  12. the pestimist

yep less work for devs more/some work for us .
  13. ABATTLEDONKEY

communities have ALWAYS been in the buisiness of helping devs out. some of the best games ive ever played have been mods. I mean by far with nothing even coming close: MODS! the BIGGEST issue with bf3, is no mod support. im not sure exactly what extend this will allow players to manipulate the game, but if ive learned one thing from history, its that the people always make things better than the company.
  14. the pestimist

more time and care.
  15. ABATTLEDONKEY

and passion. the community doesnt have bean counters breathing down their neck. all they want is great games, and they usually try to appeal to people like them (i.e. no COD/BF3 crap)
  16. forkyar

I disagree with this,dont do it soe,it will kill the game.
  17. Minsc

How will it kill the game? Just curious, I think it could be great, assuming the QA for the submitted items is good.

There will be SOE employees checking the submissions for quality and appropriateness, I just don't know how strict they will be. Players might be more in touch with what the community wants and could make quality assets for that demand. I'm also concerned about memory usage from all these new items that will have to be loaded. Perhaps they should add a setting to ignore certain cosmetic types.
    • Up x 1
  18. the pestimist

yep have people check daily submissions would work.
  19. Dingus148

Something like Steam Greenlight, or maybe a fortnightly competition. A small cash prize for the best submission over the week. Players determine the top 10 or so, then an SOE panel decides from there-keeps the community from rigging the competition, and allows the devs to keep their vision for the game pure...I can see dil.do helmets being quite popular.
  20. Sebastien