Player-Facing Roadmap for 2022

Discussion in 'Official News Feedback' started by Mithril, Feb 15, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mithril Community Manager

Hey there, folks.
    We'd like to offer up the main focal points for 2022 in roadmap form. It's rare that we share what we're working on this far out, so roadmap below is divided into a few sections where features and content will land this year. The proper release dates and true scope of each update will be shared as we get closer to those individual releases.

The roadmap is meant to act mainly as an overview, and we'll continue doing all the detail work you can expect from update to update in the background. For example: Oshur is going to continue to receive more love, shielded Sunderer garages will come to non-Oshur continents, bugs and general polish will continue to land every update, balance will continue to be tweaked throughout the year, etc., etc...

Much of 2022 will be focused on addressing long-standing requests from the community, refining the game's systems further, and polishing the game as a whole. Some of that you'll see in the roadmap, but much of the work is way too nuanced to go into a document like this. That said, we're going to continue being communicative about updates as we move through the year.
    [IMG]
    Early 2022 (January - April)

Oshur Release
    Toward the end of January the Expedition: Oshur release landed, complete with a new continent, totally new water mechanics, bases, and playstyle dynamics. We'll continue to build out Oshur as time passes.

Infantry Arsenal Updates
    We'd like to take a pass on weapon attachments in the game with the goal of expanding the customizability of infantry weapons across the board. Expect new attachment options, refinement of experimental attachments, and some improvement made to less-used infantry weapons. Directive weapons will be revisited to make them more fun and rewarding to use overall, as well as allow for attachment customization. You'll also see more Black Market weapon variants and a related directive line. Lastly, empire specific Mines and new class-based grenades will be added as well.

New Vehicle Weapons
    Empire specific basilisk options are the first new vehicle weapons we'd like to implement this year. As "basilisk-style weaponry," they'll be focused on the jack-of-all-trades usefulness, with stats, visuals, and audio that all lean toward the traits you'd expect from each faction. Main Battle Tanks will receive these weapons by default, and Sunderers/ANT/Harassers will receive these weapons as unlockable options. Yay, empire flavor!

Misc. Improvements
    We're long overdue on allowing the original NSO outfits align themselves to a faction, as was mentioned around the _Integration update last year, so we'd like to resolve that during the first few months this year. The Nav Menu is also getting some work done to modernize it, and bring it in line with the visuals of some of our newer screens. An in-game "codex" will also be added in the first portion of this year that will contain useful information about game mechanics, equipment, lore, all that good stuff.

Middle 2022 (May - August)

Outfit Wars on NEXUS
    We're bringing back Outfit Wars, and this time it's on Nexus. We learned a lot from how Outfit Wars played out in early 2021, including how strong the desire for this style of event is. The tech we're developing will allow for a 1v1 format, and much of what we did for the Integration update last year allows us to more readily allow two teams of the same faction to fight one another without issue. It also allows us to make use of a map that was teased in 2013, but never released to Live for public play. Nexus is a snow-themed continent with two Warpgates and three main lanes to battle through. This will be the new battleground for the first cycle of Outfit Wars later this year.

Water Combat Expansion
    We'd like to expand on the water-based combat capabilities. Most traditional infantry weapons will be enabled for underwater use, mobility options will be added, and more reasons to fight underwater will be made available as well. We'll also be adding new aquatic warfare weapons to the mix as well.

First Naval Vehicle
    The first legitimate naval vehicle will make its way into the game toward the middle of 2022, and will be a common pool option with its own weapon variety and associated directives. This vehicle will be mainly for Oshur, since there isn't much water elsewhere... but you never know.

Item Gifting
    Purchasing gifts for other players has been a long-requested feature that will be making its way to the game this summer. Players will be able to make DBC purchases that can be gifted to anyone on their friends list.

Squad System Revisited
    The squad system finder, squad abilities, and squads themselves could stand to have a usability pass and functionality cleanup. We'll also be pursuing the introduction of "Garrison Squads" which are temporary squads formed from loose players or squads of players in the same area, so if you're attacking or defending a base and don't have a squad of your own, you can opt to be plopped into a group in that area to increase cohesion. When the fight is over, or if you move to another area, you leave the squad with no strings attached, or you could choose to continue on with those players you were just grouped with.

End of 2022 (September - December)

War Asset Updates
    After Escalation and the other Outfit-based updates in 2020, content for Outfits stagnated a bit, and didn't continue to grow the way we were initially hoping. In 2022, we're looking to expand upon War Assets and polish the existing call-ins, as well as revisit the way Outfit Resources are awarded. Merit and Loyalty as systems are going to be given a second look and streamlined, with the potential for new deployables here alongside those coming with the War Asset system.

Bastion Customization
    Outfits will gain the ability to customize their Bastion Fleet Carriers' weapons, visuals, and functionality. Coinciding with these updates, we'll also be evaluating the Bastion's role in the game overall. We don't want it to (just) be a flying death machine, and would like it to factor into the overall meta gameplay of a continent.

Alliances and Contribution
    This year we'd like Outfits to be capable of forming alliances of multiple outfits to increase the scale of cooperation across a continent, pool Outfit assets, and potentially extend into Outfit Wars later on down the line. In addition, knowing which Outfits or alliances are putting in the most effort on a continent, and where their specific strengths are is something we'd like to provide visibility into and possibly tie gameplay to. In general, we want to celebrate Outfits more, and acknowledge their efforts as much as we can.

Empire-specific Main Cannons
    Main Battle Tanks and Lightnings will gain empire-specific weaponry options. It's been a long time since these vehicles got some new toys to play with, despite being very popular and oft-used vehicles overall.

10-Year Anniversary of PlanetSide 2
    Ten years is an incredible milestone for a live-service game, and we've got plans to do it big. Consider this one a bucket of AlrightThenKeepYourSecrets.gif for the time being.

--
    There will undoubtedly be more packed into each update than the highlights convey, but hopefully the above is enough to whet your appetite for what's to follow in 2022.
    Thanks folks.
    -Wrel, Lead Designer

--
    Let us know your thoughts in the replies below!
    • Up x 2
  2. TR5L4Y3R

better general I-V-A ballance

revisit maxsuit to be more of a Squadplattform, more general surviveability over infantrykillpotential with squadsupport abilites ..

recontools for medic and engineer to not be too reliant on Infils and vehicles fo scouting/recon

revisit aircontrols and general controler and joysticksupport

revisit ESF to have all their weaponchoices on 1 slot only and balance them accordingly
    as well as being more new playerfriendly .. i think level 1 Stealth should be default but changeable when the player wants to use other options on defensive slot ... not sure if engagementradar should stay a default option because that is rather more for vets to hunt down the Pubs rather than for Newbies to be aware of enemy aircraft, tough call on that one ...

revisit AA balance vor I-V-A play

will see what you guys will bring for ES basilliskesque turrets ...
  3. Twin Suns

Item Gifting? Yes
    Outfit Wars on their own map away from the general population? Yes!!! Big win here. It will make Outfits illustrious again. (AE) where you at? All the while not disrupting the general population on the other maps.
  4. LiquidSleep

I hope you guys plan do give NSO some love too. Chimera and Dervish are weak & lacking. Having to have a second player for the dervish makes it worse that other ESFs. NSO auraxium weapons are also weak & lacking. Not many cool skins or skins at all for infantry and vehicles. Not much interesting faction specific abilities & stuff. Max is boring, would be nice to have another choice then to be a campy farmy doorway max.

Maining NSO has been a little cringe for me and I've nearly entirely stopped playing tank warfare, ESF play, and using MAXes.
    Otherwise the updates and the direction the game has been going in has been awesome! Keep up the good work! Just hoping to get a little NSO love at some point :).
  5. Puppy

I'm really sad server transfers aren't on this roadmap. Some interesting things though.
  6. FLHuk

Keep up the good work guys and for my part I will continue to send in vids of flying aimbots to cheater@planetside2.com for your consideration.
  7. typnct

please, im talking from my heart here

the NSO Assault Rifles are horrible, terrible useless weapons that i have to resort to taking my pistol out at long and close ranges because they are just bad - low dps, no ammo, horrible range for their damage, Worst reticules(ADS dot) that are about 5-15X larget than the regular yellow dot that the NS weapons have

the NSO SMG's - bad dps, no ammo, worst damage profiles, no range, worst reticules and overall bad

please do look into them and make them useful, at the very least bump their damage one up
    give us an NC copy of 167x652 or the tr 125x896
    something, all of the smg's are just a shame

the NSO medic class doesn't even have an option to fight with and is forced to use his pistols as his primary basically

NSO AA OPTIONS - none, the chimera one is just non existent and esf's can tank a few mags without a care in the world alongside horrible range and horrible muzzle velocity which esf's can just fly around and dodge them in real time from 100m not caring at all
    other AA AV options - none existent
  8. typnct

also - remove sniper rifles ohk ability or cloak from infiltrators that have sniper rifles
    they abuse clientside alongside the same amount of health as a heavy assault to their benifit for years, either mitigate the ability of sniper rifles to ruin the game or completely remove them
  9. SquirtAttack

Waaaaaahhhhhh! Boo hoo... If you have to remove bolters that actually have to aim to get head shot kill, then also remove the pump action shotguns from the light assaults so they don't have one shot kills up close by hip firing.
  10. lemurwrangler

Every single structure is harder to place cause of this.
    Great... Another nerf to construction, like as if it's fu,cking playable right now.
  11. Sofloan

I'd love to see more interest into the low tier weapons no one uses because they're stats are trash.

As a new player back in 2012, I did buy those trash *** weapons, I was super slow on xp and cert farming so it felt really really hard to keep up. It might be a good thing to have them rebalanced, so new players have a change against veterans, and they probably won't quit after an hour of getting farmed lmao.

I also feel like the Colossus tank should be reworked, it could cost personnal merit and be deployed by anyone from te outfit. Make it more vulnerable if operated alone, and increase the squad abilities, maybe a modding that could get it into classes and battle choice (high defence / low damages ; high speed / low defences ; ect.) just like a balanced RPG would do with mage, tank, dps, heal.

And I love the idea to turn NS into faction specific, maybe the harrasser, lightning, sunderer, NS air vehicles and why not bastion, could get the same rework, with unique faction abilities such as the heavy tanks.
  12. Mr. Turano

Sorry I’m late to the party.

My outfit caught fire when we saw this, we are nothing if not totally on edge about all the things to come this year.

I think this is a good idea especially for longer term players who can now plan around taking breaks, and when to come back, as well as what to expect.

Thank you for stepping it up in the last two years, I feel I have experienced the best you guys have been putting out, and I look forward to spending all my money every time you bring out another impossible to have cosmetic.
    • Up x 1
  13. Bezlikiy

Fix the shotgun bug! There has been a bug in the game for several years now, the laser sight does not work if bullet cartridges are not installed on the shotgun. Next - make sure that not only his clan, but also any person from his squad can sit in the bastion at the choice of the owner. And lastly, I beg you, do not touch the cards. You can't. We have all seen Oshur, made according to the principle Ctrl+C Ctrl+V. At the same time, the people who made it do not understand what game design is at all. These maps would be suitable for a single shooter, killing xenomorphs. But they are not suitable for pvp. The old maps were thought out to the smallest detail, every entrance, every corner, every stone was balanced. You just ran across identical towers in the editor. Your idea with underwater technology is just an addiction. Underwater planes? Are you out of your mind? It kills the atmosphere of the game. If you want underwater gameplay - Make underwater suits according to the MAX principle. Make submarines with full-fledged new weapons. But I doubt you will succeed - you can't balance weapons either. I regret that the people who gave us really high-quality content, such as Promise Jackal guns, are no longer involved in the development of the game. It was quality content, and the game's old audience was happy with it. And what are you doing? Drug addiction with Oshur? Fishing? Who is it for? I understand that you want to attract new players to the project, but do not spoil what was done before you! Otherwise, you will lose your old fan base. Planetside for about ten years. And he almost did not change 8 of them. And yet he lived. Without Oshur, without bastions, without fishing and other nonsense.
  14. Bezlikiy

Your replica of the standard Basilisk... Interesting, but raw and unbalanced. It is already evident that the Terran variant is capable of destroying a Magrider in 1 clip, when attacked in the forehead. Why is this happening? Vulcan cant do that... Not to mention the analogues of the NewConglomerate.

NSO are boring and unplayable. It can be seen that you are trying, but you did not reach the level that the previous developers set. The only thing that NSO came out playable is MAX. And their weapons, their equipment ... About the Chimera, you yourself understand everything. Dervish is an interesting idea. But for some reason, its pilot does not have anti-personnel weapons, like all aircraft. The scope of the sniper rifle is black... Due to this, the crosshair of the scope is simply NOT visible on a dark background! Have you noticed that all factions have COLORED sights? And those sights that are black have a well-defined aiming point ...Why couldn't the NSO scope be made white? So that it can be seen at night, against the background of the dark camouflage of the enemy? Or why not copy the existing, working options for sniper rifle sights? Why does the Railjack shooter see the aiming point, but the NSO sniper does not?

P.S. I post this bug-report 2 years ago... The bug has not been fixed yet
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?threads/laser-sights-on-shotguns.255690/
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.