Planetside2 will be DEAD sooner than my initial projections.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CapEnTrade, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Movoza

You are the very dregs of the internet. All you want is attention and to revel in your "smart" comments. You have been posting that PS2 is dying and weapons are **** and all that over and over again.

Speaking from the product viewpoint, there are clear signs that the game is dying. As you see with loads of products, stagnation and then dropping of players herald the end, slow or fast, of the product. With games like PS2 there really is only one option to undo this. You make a "new" game. You either add/change so much that the game is significantly different, or you bring out the game anew. Especially the last option is a very viable way to preserve a franchise. COD, BF and a lot of others started with something really good and appealing, then they just changed minor things every new iteration and a new story to go with it and presto, the interest in the game wasn't wavering over the many years. If you would just have added these changes with updates, the statistical likely hood of the games still being interesting would drop immensely, but each iteration of the game would have a larger arc than a year to be appealing.

Now PS2 is dying. You make a big point of it, but what of it? You are just giving negative impacts on something many of us still enjoy. Why would you try to sour the gameplay of others? Why would you state the obvious, give bogus reasons that are just your personal irritations and keep screaming with big letters and colours that the game is dying?

Let us play in peace with a game many of us still enjoy and don't try to rush this ending by all your negative propaganda. If I look at your posts in the last months, you should have left ages ago. But no, your ****** needs attention so you come to the forums. Simply don't go to these forums any more. Log off and never look back. Go to a game you like and troll on the forums there. Get back with your girlfriend or whatever makes you actually happy and do not substitute it with internet attention.

Thank you.
    • Up x 3
  2. Voodoo Bliss

Most of my mates have never even heard of Planetside 2 (North East England) they should do TV advertising.
    • Up x 2
  3. SgtBeta

Yeah, pretty much it.
    AEK/M16field does not need this to be bad as it is.
  4. Sneakles

I think you are wrong. Some new popular games are out atm, winter is coming (No not game of thrones stuff) so more kids will stay inside playing.

Though, population change in this game can drastically change a players perception of gameplay due to what he/she is normally used to, this can make players ragequit, quit due to being frustrated. Because they aren't good at adapting to the new "environment" of the game. Half the pop, due to new games or whatever, means the gameplay will change drastically. MBT play will be alot different, a push will feel different because you aren't that many anymore and maybe you cant make it work due to that. A huge open area will make it hard for tanks to thrive in due to a spread out numbers of Engineers, sniper tank being all factions, and they can because less are killing them.

One thing doe to less support was making ammo towers repair. But we need more atm, let them figure it out. Less support is an issue in this game. So here is a ting.

MORE TEAM WORK, and you will see more players coming back or play more than they do now.

I run solo alot, because it gives my personal playstyle alot more action, but it's detrimental to the game if it's players who just lemming, dont repair MAX's but stay on their turrets, etc etc. I dont though, I play as I was in a team, but for my self but I also know this game well.
  5. Dennisz125

If you want teamwork, try Project Reality or Pre- alpha
  6. DeadlyPeanutt

not working, player base is down by 80% in one year...

and I haven't seen any new content since Hossin, which was a disaster. I don't count bad new weapons and useless turrets as new content. I also don't count stuff that is being 'worked on.' we've heard that too many times before.
  7. Dethonlegs

Things are looking grim on Briggs. Last night the entire VS population was contained in single hex. For most of that time it was a 24-48 fight. For a brief while it peaked at about 50.
  8. Pikachu

Today i saw the name cod bo3 on an energy drink. :confused: wen that game was released it was on the store page on steam, and i dont mean when you scroll through a list. The most well known and popular game gets that much attention is such a waste.
  9. Savadrin

This is the truth. I had never heard of PS2 until I somehow randomly stumbled on it a little over a month ago. I've played MMO's since they were conceived - like The Realm, bro - but I've never played a shooter, wasn't my thing. I don't even know why I decided to try the game, but I did, and I love it.

Only one of my friends had ever heard of it. That's unacceptable.

Someone mentioned lacking depth as an issue with MMO-style versus fast food MOBA matches. SOOOO TRUE and yet it hadn't really even occurred to me.

The idea of other combat or non-combat farming (as in resource gethering) is probably good, I just hope it's not too late. I often find myself only seeing battles in places that I'm not terribly fond of, especially outside of prime hours. If there was a way to contribute to my advancement OR preferably mine and faction's, I'd certainly run a stealth ANT or something I could do by myself to get some exp, help the team, and perhaps have a mini skirmish with the hunters who are always out for farmers.

As a bad equivocation, we used to go hunt opposing faction crafters in WoW, as I played on a pvp server. If we weren't doing arena or BG's, we would just fly around and look for people to prey on, and maybe even get some mats for our own crafting.

In fact, I don't even know if crafting (other than the camo and skins) has a place in this game, but it's certainly lifeblood to every other successful and long-lived MMO I have played. Naturally, there's also no marketplace for player to player items, and no PvE style loot drops, so I'm not sure how they would implement it.

Giving people options for gameplay helps keep a community diverse and healthy. All kinds of folks play all kinds of games. Would it be cool to be able to do something like air-drop or ground-run resource boxes into player bases under attack to allow them to bolster shields, add turrets, or something to that effect? Yeah, would be awesome.

Finding the balance between siege tower and siege engines during all types of play scenario proves to be the most difficult. Perhaps a scaling system of reward for resource drops based on the current hex population and income streams would be useful. I don't know.

What I do know is these threads are ******* pointless if all you're doing is saying "BRING OUT YER DEAD!" you're not being helpful.

"We ain't dead yet!"

Hope we stick together for a while.
    • Up x 1
  10. RedArmy

this has been the problem with the game since day one -
    the only way to find out about the game is stumble across - or word of mouth from a player
  11. zaspacer

Planetside needs:

1) gimmicks and hooks to attract new player and former players
    2) reliable and consistent and fun gameplay to ensure players are able to rely on getting the same type of game experience session after session

Those may sounds like ambiguous statements, but think of their answers in terms of "what changes would best serve these goals?"

For #1, think if you could start any buzz or any small panel add. It can include any look and make any claim/statement/announcement. What would that be to get the MOST new players to say "ok, I'll try that" or get the most former players to say "ok, I wanna log on to try that".

For #2, think of the things you and other players have enjoyed doing in the game. Now think of which of those is reliable to experience and sustainable over the course of your session if the game were changed to make it happen. Most games that are successful and stable over the long haul are able to deliver a consistent, reliable experience. PS2 needs to figure out the ways it can do that, then settle on which way(s) work best for players, and then make the changes to make those ways happen.

I'd say for #1, they could do a much better job in polishing up the launch of their In Development items. Instead of rushing it into a patch when it's ready, instead Ramp Up its release in a full detailed posting that showcases how neat it's going to be and what it's all about (explain the role it will fill, how to read/use any interface associated with it, etc.). Then release it into that hype and awareness. If they don't have someone on staff who can handle this, then just ask a 3rd party PS2 youtuber like Wrel to do it. It'd also help if they bundled these developments into a kinda mini-expansion and did them at regular intervals through a calendar year: that is the type of thing that makes potential/former players take notice and think "I might like to try that out".
  12. Benton582

This is all true, however, at this point, they lack a BIG IMPACT hook right now. And this game needs TF2 like elements for randomness, this is the MOST fun out of them all. And that, is the true awesomeness of gaming. But Planetside doesn't have that, nor a big impact update to draw players, hopefully though, the big impact update will come AFTER the learning curve is fixed. Because this entire time, the game's BIGGEST problem is the ease to learn the game. And Daybreak KNOWS this. If this comes after a HUGE update, this game would be restored to its former glory or better yet....As famous as TF2. It just requires better tactics to deal with it. That is my summary of the problem.
  13. RedArmy

we really need another 2 or 3 OMFG updates before more content n gimmicks come out
  14. RedArmy

https://imgur.com/4iTNG7c
    wow guys - this really does look like the beginning of the end.....
    yr1 and yr2 bundles for sale again this close to the yr3 bundle? woo
    TBH, looks like its bout to hit the fan and soon
  15. zaspacer

What would these OMFG updates cover?

Also, I am not proposing Content and Gimmicks in a vacuum. I don't advocate them being just released in a regular patch as a foot note. I am talking a hyped release, designed to bundle enough gimmicks to get new and former players interested enough to check it out.

I totally agree that just getting people into this game and then giving them more of the same will not keep them. But the game still needs to work on both parts:
    1) getting more people into the game
    2) making a consistent, reliable, rewarding gameplay experience that makes them want to stay
  16. FateJH

17. RedArmy

ive put $1200 into my computer n the game still runs like **** with random crashes n bugs. they need to fix them before opening the game to more bugs adding more content.
  18. zaspacer

I am not very familiar with TF2. Can you elaborate on the TF2 elements you're referencing? I love to learn lessons from other games that got things right.

I agree that the new player experience is a major problem for PS2. This problem has grown the more experienced the regular playerbase has become, and the more cryptic the game experience has grown. It's also a major problem that much of the "help" 3rd party resources out there are now out of date and providing the wrong information.

But I don't think PS2 has ever had the ability to fathom the issue and conceptualize a solution. It's like a bad Tutorial Writer who just keeps re-writing their tutorials without actually fathoming their problems or conceptualizing a workable solution.

Playing and excelling at PS2 isn't just about spending time in the game, it's also about navigating through a sea of obscure 3rd party resources. About knowing each items correct, real description is not in a wiki or in-game sentence, but in the OP discoveries popping up in SS or as topics buried in the forums.

I've said many times that complicated competitive games need Tier Charts and Decklists, so the players can bypass the obscurity and harness the latest and most current tech. If new players could actually SEE the full loadouts being used by top players, they have a much greater understanding about what direction to head.

http://ps2oraclestats.com/ is amazing. Wrel is amazing. But SOE/DBG didn't make it, and they don't direct new players to those and other resources.

I think one of the current major problems is that it's apparent that the gameplay balance Designers do not play and understand their own game. Why aren't they hiring people who actively play PS2?
  19. JustBoo

*yawn*
    [IMG]

Well, I guess you do have a special power; it's pissing all over the carpet while quivering like a yappy little Chihuahua Dog with 'excitement.' What a life you must 'lead.'
  20. zaspacer

I know how nasty crashes are. What Video Card are you running? What settings are you running at? I got a new card and the game plays great for me now, though I still run at low settings.

I don't think the bugs will ever go away. They consistently add new ones too often, and they consistently don't deal with old ones forever. I totally would love for them to get rid of the bugs, but I don't think it's something they have the competence to handle. So I focus on them working on stuff they have the competence to handle: new creative fun stuff.
    • Up x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.