Planetside2 will be DEAD sooner than my initial projections.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CapEnTrade, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JustBoo

Yep, even a broken clock has the correct time twice a day.

I once played a game called HardWar. In the end, there were a few dozen of us playing it on a private server. We had a ton of fun. That is and should be what matters: fun. We didn't care if 10,000 people or 20 people were playing, we had fun.

This weak-minded obsession with the number of players is nothing but the low-IQ herd stampeding toward the Latest Fad / Flavor of the Day. It was LA's for awhile, then the Vanu, then HA's, on and on, etcetera, etcetera. Whines gonna whine... forever.

As long as some people play and have fun, then the game will exist. If all this ***** hand-wringing and teenage angst makes you happy, then have at it. Chicken Little agrees with you.

Posted this recently, need to again.
    [IMG]
    • Up x 2
  2. Beerbeerbeer

Looking at a trend line and making a prediction has huge flaws in it.

First, you're presuming the past has any bearing on the future. Just like the stock market, looking at a chart and seeing that the stock has dropped for the last year doesn't predict what the stock will do the next year.

It could very well level out, which is more likely as any recent dip was probably due to the influx of new games the past few months. It may even go up a bit.

Fact of the matter, no one knows. If trend lines could predict future performance, we would all be millionaires. If you own stock, you know exactly what I'm talking about.
  3. oTec

I hope you guys are right. Since i started playing this, i stopped playing anything else ...
  4. DeadlyPeanutt

Koltyr was a good idea that was badly implemented, because it turned into a farming ground for experienced players. Dev didn't keep an eye on Koltyr after it was launched and restrict/kick farming experienced players who made alts.

Dev could make mid course adjustments to increase the life span of the game easily. I've suggested them before and won't bother repeating myself.

PS2 is basically abandonware. Dev are waiting for it to die, perhaps keeping it on their list so they can say they have six games instead of five or whatever.
    • Up x 1
  5. DeadlyPeanutt

true, but data in hand indicates the game is dying fast, which was OP's point.

and dev are making NO moves to keep it alive.
    • Up x 1
  6. Diilicious

whats with all the bat**** crazy posts lately
  7. TheShrapnelKing

It's too bad because when this dies I basically won't have any more multiplayer FPSes to play anymore. Even if EA made Battlefield 2143, the fact they'd lock all the good content in DLC while the base game is ****, as they've done with BF3 AND BF4, means I simply cannot in good conscience give them money. I love shooters. I don't want it to end this way.
    • Up x 1
  8. DeadlyPeanutt

this post is anything but crazy, it's perfectly reasonable.

there is a certain frustration for players when the server population drops by 80% in a year and the dev do nothing but give us space pumpkins.
    • Up x 1
  9. Iridar51

Well both battlefield and battlefront guilty of the same thing, in my mind. No matchmaking, ****** up spawn system, complete chaos on the map, and most of all - terrible, terrible netcode.
    • Up x 1
  10. WorldOfForms

I am one of the most diehard PlanetSide fans you could meet. I still tell people that PS1 is my favorite game of all time. I quit playing PS2 about six months ago.

I strongly believe the failure of PS2 is its lack of depth. PS1 was much clunkier and slower paced, yet it managed to stay alive with a decent population for about 8-9 years. It was much more complex and much deeper than PS2.

There is an inherent problem with the PlanetSide formula: downtime. Unlike other shooters, it can be hard to find a good fight sometimes, even with good population. To stave off boredom, the game needs a lot of depth. It NEEDS to be deeper than the average arena shooter.

PS1 pulled that off. PS2, while slicker and more modern, failed. It is too shallow for the type of game that it is.

That is what ultimately will be the end of PS2. Not bugs, not performance, not balance issues, not graphics, not the samey weapons. Depth. If the game was deep, people wouldn't quit so easily. They would see how much there was to do to vary your gameplay, and they would keep coming back. But there is no variety and depth, so there is nothing to keep people playing.

Sure, if you never played PS1, I can understand why you are still here. This type of game is still fresh and new to you. But would you keep playing it for 8-9 years?
    • Up x 3
  11. Taggeress

Still better off than Battlefront 2015, which was dead before it even released. All eyes are on Overwatch now as it's not just another chain in the franchise like COD. I swear, everything with Blizzard's name is always pure gold. How do they do it?
    • Up x 1
  12. Beerbeerbeer

Yeah I agree that there is lack of depth in regards to character development, big time and that is one of the important draws to mmo games.

The cert system vs the experience is like night and day. I don't feel attached to my characters as much as I did in ps1. Br100 eh, who cares, means nothing to me, while a high br character in ps1 felt more of an achievement.

Ironically, while they tried to simplify the game by going this cert unlock route, I think they made it way more complicated than the linear experience "load out your class the way you want" system.
  13. AlterEgo

What you say is true; a lot of people I once knew don't play the game at all or nearly as much as they used to. I had over 20 active friends who played at least twice a week...

Now, only around three play regularly. Everyone else is pretty much gone, which, while it may suck, doesn't really discourage me. I just have a sweetspot for this game, I don't know. Moukass says the same, that the game seemingly gets renewed everytime he clicks the play button. Same applies to me. It could be because we're Arabs and love the sight and sound of explosions (hehe), or it could be because Planetside 2 appeals to a certain group of people. I love Planetside 2; I'll either stop playing this game when Planetside 3 comes out (which should be around my son's entry into high school, even if I'm not done with college yet), or when DBG somehow manages to combust all personal computers that have the game turned on (basically, if there's absolutely NO WAY to play the game, then I'm forced to stop).

I'd rather stop playing the game when the former happens.
  14. CapEnTrade

I hear you, I have a MASSIVE friends list, a couple months ago when I stopped playing regularly I would only see like 3-6 of those guys on around as much as me, the rest ALMOST NEVER. My list is over 200 people long. I was once big in a platoon and everyone wanted to add me, did a lot of mic chat with cool voices and filters. Literally, out of those 200+ people I only saw like 3-6 really play and the rest pretty much never. That platoon I was in has since... disappeared.
  15. CorporationUSA

It's not accurate to call it abandonware while they are still developing new things for it. The base building system is being worked on right now. I think the real issue is that they aren't ready to commit, financially, to truly fixing the things that need to be fixed. Someone must be hoping that adding new content is all the game needs to stay alive.
  16. Pikachu

Battlefront was said to be the dangerous killer for ps2 (like destiny) but it gets nothing but bashing. People praise the aesthetics to high heavens and and puts the rest between an anvil and a sledgehammer. :D
  17. AlterEgo

Well yeah, that's what happens when you get Battlefield, give the models blasters, and call it Battlefront.
    A shame on their houses, a shame on their children, a shame on their cows, a shame on everything!
    • Up x 2
  18. Bindlestiff

This absolutely 100%.
  19. oTec

^This. Also planetside is what comes closest to a full war experience for me so i'll probaly never quit =3.
  20. CapperDeluxe

Overwatch is just a reskin of Team Fortress, I'm sure it'll do well but that doesn't make it an interesting enough game to hold the attention of those like me who prefer something bigger.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.