Planetside 2's Culture Promotes A Different Behavior

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Stellus, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Xuerian

Great post.
  2. Duff_Chimp

Not especially, just compared to using bad memes.
  3. myzzo

Nice pics, but I don't fell the post was very necessary since it has been cleat (at least for me) since beta that the exp system was broken. Support classes don't get the exp they need, kill whoring has high rewards etc. The message is old, the execution new. I don't think it's gonna be too helpful but at least we can't blame you for not trying.
    • Up x 1
  4. HadesR

You really have to much time on your hands don't you OP ?
  5. Stellus

I took a vacation day before looking out my window and noticing it had snowed last night and the high is to hit only 25. Couped up in the house makes a man go crazy...
  6. skoorviel

Well there OP, you hit the nail square on its head. And you did it Cracked.com style.

Best. Post. Ever.
  7. Lord Gentlecrab

Good read, BF3 has a similar problem where are all the attachments and unlocks creates incentive for players to perform in a way that doesn't truly benefit the team.
  8. Shockwave44

This is probably why higby is throwing cloaking flashes and rocket launchers at us, to keep us distracted. PS2 feels more like a playground with new toys dumped in every month instead of a thought provoking tactical game.
  9. h00n

You can rationalize it all you want, OP.

I'm just here to kill. Lattice, purpose, reason, objectives....

I just want to collect as many disgusting purple skulls as possible.

They will scream, they will burn. I revel in their bloodshed. I play just to kill every VS scumbag that has the audacity to exist.
    • Up x 1
  10. riker

you should he actually has a good point, and he isnt dissing any factions either
  11. riker

great post, outlines the main problem with the game, thanks bro :D
  12. Zerran

I can't say I mind the cert system in and of itself. I like games that have progress like that. However, I will agree that it would be nice if the objectives were more important.

Perhaps make the total amount of territory your faction controls (over all three continents), relative to its population, give an exp bonus (and possibly penalty)?
  13. Duff_Chimp

You'll always be in the shadow of Picard.
  14. PraxisMajor

Good points about motivations be they conscious decisions or not.

Modifying the incentives to achieve "correct" behaviour probably isn't too easy to do though (either because they may not mesh with the F2P model too well, or just because it's hard to know what will work and what won't).

Want people to care more about taking and defending territory? Maybe just make that more visible in the UI, or give people progress bars for facilities taken/defended and give a reward once you reach a certain number in a play session/day.

You mostly got a thumbs up for "Dong, LLC" though, because I'm childish like that.
    • Up x 1
  15. water fowl

+1.

I think this game needs to make a turn away from making kills / combat the #1 profession to earn your certs. Make combat like... 20% of cert income. If that. Hopefully with incentives to capturing in the future, besides certs, things get better...
  16. sharpT

"It advertises its purpose as an MMO-FPS. We, as the “employees” in this analogy, are told the objective is to capture more resources and more land than the opposing empires. This is the intended behavior for its players - to cooperate with one another in order to capture objectives and secure resources. It’s plastered all over their advertising and how it differentiates itself from other shooters. The culture in which the game promotes, however, is at the exact opposite end of this spectrum and completely contradicts what the game claims to be. That culture is known as Certification Points"

If you believe in company's propogada and drink too much of company's kool-aid, well you are a just following herd. This is also true in real life.
  17. Tovarich Cookie

To OP: well written, thought provoking post. Nicely done.
  18. kompanietgibb

19. MaxDamage

Many times I blow sunderers in PS2, I don't feel like I've just helped save the base.
    I feel like the people who failed to destroy it, despite the fact that it took me a few relaxed rounds of my TR Pounder MAX, wish I'd left it up so they could farm XP.

In PS1 when an AMS was at the both back door and front during a heavy fight with armour and aircraft in battle around the base...
    People used to unite to fend off the incoming swarms, while blowing the AMS was a task!
    Killing the AMS felt like a necessary goal, and a satisfying one.

You could blow it, save the base, finish off the attackers and press on to their base after repairing the AI turrets and deploying mines and automated mini-turrets to prevent ghostcappers/small squads from easily starting a fresh attack.

In PS2. It doesn't matter.
    Blow the sundy or don't blow the sundy. Another 5 are already waiting in the wings.
    If you lose the base? So what. It'll be yours and then theirs again in 30 minutes time.

I don't feel any satisfaction in that other than what gets me the most XP.

I find myself going out of my way to "make a difference", sacrificing kill points and XP, to "achieve" objectives that others are plain ignoring but that should be important.

It's not the lack of XP that makes doing these things feel underappreciated and unrewarding - it's that there is no serious point to strategising other than shallow fleeting "wins".

I don't think I've explained myself well enough here, but then I don't have a quick solution.
  20. Crashsplash

You're right.

You can also add in the perverse incentive of resources.

I cert farm through using vehicles and consumables, once I run out of those I can't cert farm as easily so I need to replenish. I leave the continent and go to a continent where there is the greatest supply and I go afk a while and return occasionally to prevent a time out.

Let's look at the mechanisms that PS1 had and PS2 doesn't that means there is nothing but cert farming, apart from looking at the fantastic scenery.

PS1 had cr5's
    PS1 had more continents

and you know what. I can't be bothered. All that I was going to say has been said and at the current rate nothing will change for years if ever.