Planetside 2's Culture Promotes A Different Behavior

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Stellus, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Wasdie

That's the whole reason they are completely redoing the hex system.

Attacking/defending are arbitrary, the only thing that matters is the kills in the current system. With the new system it should be mucb better.
    • Up x 1
  2. CrazyMike

That is a perfect example of an HR point of view. It is NOT however the only part of business.

Your employees are not as stupid as you think. Incentive programs are inaccurate at best. Employees only tolerate your bull**** because they have to earn a living.

HR is best used for marketing and advertising.
  3. Niller

Good thread.

They should make it so objektives gives the most certs, not killing, so when a guy wants to get in a sundy, they should take him with them to have a bigger chance of winning.
  4. Jex =TE=

One of the reasons me and my squad don't play this game anymore, it became boring all of a sudden after GU2, or we realized at the same time that the game was basically broken but we didn't see it until the shininess of a new pc game wore off. Run and Gun gets old after you've been playing FPS's for years. Working towards items because the game model is F2P is a bore and a pita.

For instance, right now I want to cert to C4 x 2 and grab a bandolier and go sundy hunting. But I need another 250 for the C4 and whatever else for the bandolier. That's quite a lot of game time for me for something I want to do now and by the time i've ground my way towards it, I may not even want to do that anymore. Grinding takes the fun out of things.

The other answer is to buy the things I want so I don't have to grind (well not c4 because it's cert only) but I would like some new guns, just a couple but at $7 a pop you have to be kidding me. This is their sales model, the Rip-me-off one? No thanks I'm not a chump. When every other game out there sells for £30 you want me to spend £60 just to get the items that would be given to me in a paid for game.

This is why F2P is awful. It penalizes people who are happy to pay by ripping them off and makes the devs take the game down the direction of selling, not game play. When you make a paid for game, it has to be all done and dusted for you to make money so what's important? The game play.

When everything costs a ridiculous amount of certs to upgrade and the cert rate is so slow (250 xp per cert) and you're not interested in farming but having some interesting tactical battles then the game becomes a drag, especially when it's the same damn place on the map, every day, every our....
  5. Stellus

I'd like to nominate this as my tl;dr statement. :) Nicely done.
  6. Stellus

I only advocate the suggestion that Objectives & Teamwork provide an equal incentive compared to KDR and cert farming. There should be a balance between the two. In PS1, a bulk of your experience was earned from base captures/resecures and the amount a capture/resecure granted was entirely based on the amount of activity at that base. So the more you contributed to the objective, the more experience you earned. It was a basic implementation, but the idea was sound.
    • Up x 1
  7. Zer0range

WARNING: OP's post has little to no philosophical depth to it.
    • Up x 1
  8. Haecid

It's extra funny because that looks kind of like a dong.
    Also: I agree with this post, I think it was well written and maybe the pictures will help educate the people who don't typically read. Hopefully things will change in a manner that promotes taking territory and not spending all of our time huddling in a room with lots of other smelly, latex wearing dudes shooting out of a windows/shooting people coming out of said windows.
    • Up x 2
  9. Doublefrost

The solution, one might think, would be to re-introduce something that the original PlanetSide had. Objective capture rewards relative to how much fighting took place in the capture. If you take a hotly contested base with a raging battle, you got TONS of exp. If you took an empty base, you got absolutely nothing.

If 280 players on three sides fight over a bio lab for 40 minutes and they know that if they capture it at that size of conflict, that it's going to be worth about 15,000 exp for each of them... How many cert farmers are going to want to bash the SCU generator, drop that spawn point, kill the outlying bases, keep their Sunderers exploded and dominate the base?

Then too, we need exp rewards for defending a facility to the bitter end. Better definition of when a battle is considered 'over' in a facility. Rewards based on the situation in such a way as it makes sense. That way, people protect their assets as well as attack. You stop the enemy, you get your cookie and they don't get theirs.
    • Up x 6
  10. Stellus

I certainly agree with this, though I believe some balancing would need to be done in order to accommodate the difference in revenue (F2P model rather than PS1's flat subscription model). The idea is definitely sound and I would love to see this, but the designers need to ensure they aren't trying to stuff a square peg into a round hole, so to speak.
  11. Phrygen

hrmmm

man has some points.

Frankly i think this game needs urban combat
    • Up x 1
  12. Zakuak

Nice read!

Sound point and well done.
  13. jeuvisage

tl;dr
    Nerf shooting people, buff ghost capping.
  14. Raton

Thanks OP for this post,

As one of the " sad PS1 vet " i start to think that EVERYTHING that made PS1 a so glorious and a so great game was pure luck.
    I don't really now if get rid of those great and often "never-seen-before" idea is then pure stupidity or an attempt to make money with a F2P game.

I don't blame SOE for PS2, not so much since they still work on it, but if its for the money please make quickly a PS3 ( with monthly money ) for me and a few thousands battle brothers of mine, the ones who would gladly die hundreds of time in a dark tunnel of a base underground just for their Faction.

An get my inventory/armor back, was the best idea ever.
    ( BTW don't be proud of " so many classes yeah ! " when it's just putting limits where they weren't for **** sake, inventory was freedom. )
    Get me back the common pool ressource, good old epic suicide ACU drivers...oh and remembers , they were no endless spam of solo driver tanks back then....they even have gunners cause every vehicule was precious, can you imagine ?
    Ahah i just remembered when we could reset our cert for free...Yeah not really for free, since monthlyy fee, but a least i knew then for what i was payin', and believe or not, but it felt a less " MUST MAKE MONEY ON YOU BOY " than the actual system.

I won't go all the way, since so much vet's let tears and blood on this forum, even if i really want to do so...

Two last things :
    - Thanks again OP
    - If it's from pure stupidity and not for business then **** you bloody bastard for destroyin' probably one of the best game we knowed..........Hmmm....It's not a so-wrong-statement if it's for money too, but i'll let you the time to make things epic again.

Good luck.
  15. Herrick

Hell I'd be happy with just bringing back PS1 with a cheaper sub. At least that game had animations for entering and exiting vehicles. Has SoE ever provided an explanation for their lack in PS2 beyond laziness?

Anyway OP, points, well made, ect. Too bad that it'll ultimately fall of deaf ears.
  16. UberBonisseur

I think everyone got it backwards.

People taking empty bases ARE ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME
    Hate them, but isn't the goal territory control ?
    If you've jumped into a Red Alert territory, you're most likely useless.

You should never, ever want to punish people attacking "empty" territories.
    At best, you just fix ghost-capping by adding some obvious (yet obliviously lacking) limitations.

How does it stop people from getting stuck at the Crown ?

Silly.
    • Up x 1
  17. Aegie

Awe really? I kept that one 100 words or less- you should see some of my other posts :).
  18. SirYanako

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY THUMPS UP!!!
    • Up x 1
  19. nubery

The longer a base is held the more exp it is worth.

Defenders get passive bonuses for defending it while enemy presence is in the hex, increasing over time.

Attackers get a lump of exp for capturing the base, amount increased by how long the base has been held by the other faction.

This would completely destroy the Zerg cap everything and guard nothing mentality.

On top of that we need exp bonuses for for being in squads and platoons, shared exp for success. Exp must encourage teamwork or you'll just have the scenario of sundy drivers ignoring troops and driving off to the next base. Transportation needs to award experience as well. Gal transports were a big thing in original PlanetSide. The current model encourages solo play exp farming. Hell people destroy vehicle terminals in enemy bases for the exp instead of letting infils hack them, so the team can pull sunderers and tanks at the location.
    • Up x 3
  20. Granicus

:eek: Genius, pure genius. excellent analysis. For a possible solution larger cap rewards based on enemy force that defended it mabye for how much time it took aswell, and cert rewards for capping the continent for those on the continent.