[Suggestion] Planetside 2

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SpartanZero, Nov 16, 2014.

1. SpartanZero

First off, in no small way I'm proud to planetside 1 modernized (albeit a pale shadow of the former in content/diversity) simply put there are few FPS that deliver the scale we have in battles. Bugs withstanding I'm still smiles to having this game.

Secondly this is also by no means a personal issue with the devs, or creative team working on/with for this title. There is perhaps a little, only on the basis of whether or not they're pushing for (passionately one would hope) to see this game back on track to the road of robust content/direction an diversity it should have already reached. Now I understand the team is mainly working on the PS4 port of this game, kudos to that, I would be more happy with the snail pace of content if that meant the PS4 port was going to also merge with the PC community.

Yes Console versus PC, I could really care less about if you're for or against or even the reasons. I'm well aware of them, it would only build a larger community pool, an cross the platforms for friends who have an don't have one or the other to enjoy this game together.

Back to my rant.

This game needs to get back on a serious track, (I'd say overhaul, but we're far beyond that point?) more faction incentives / faction flavor to retaining player loyalties to particular factions. I've a few notions to why 4th factioning has become a trending placeholder, lack of content, lack of meta, bland class options an far too much half ***** throught out thrown together "goodies" to appease the player base. WE want content, diversity of classes, more logistical depth, A lengthier proper command chain of directive "ability" unlocks as well certifiable unlocks for those who command well, not a common pool option (example actual lengthy command rank progression)

There are a few things I would have done differently.

1. Purchase price on retail for account creation. Game would be free to play, as well subscription model. Switching Factions would have a lock out timer of 2-4 hours, to prevent ease of 4th factioning. This wouldn't stop the tryhard diehards that purchase multiple retail games to setup multiple characters. A clear an tiered progression of content release (either 6mnth/yearly progress) This would be multiple continents/base design/redesign. Small item content (guns/cosmetics) on a month to month basis.

2. Singular server. This game doesn't need multiple different servers, it also doesn't help to showcase true competition by having multiple servers. This would retain a 24/7 high player pop, which would reduce deadzone time periods, an possibly stronger player retention + faction loyalty. As recognized leadership, outfits would be at the forefront for their respective factions.

This would also require a minimal of 8 continents at launch, taking a page from planetside 1, have faction based sanctuaries (there would be multiple faction sanctuaries, ie channels). Faction sanctuaries are the key staging area's (currently our defacto warpgates) that lead to the warpgate bubbles of open continents. They also would be the access points to the crafting shops, market, VR, an various other aesthetic features. Possible bring back the orbital drop pod system instead of the current RNG instant action. Players could gather, load up an organize where they would like to drop. (outside of any given facility SOI's, works great for small spec ops outfits striking behind lines)

3. Crafting system, albeit a rather simple one. This would have a separate tier of classifications as well cert system to unlock/invest (again more incentive to faction loyatly/retention), this could also be tied in with a simple version of playerstudio cosmetics allowing players to craft items an pick "skins" from artists or produce their own.

4. Crafting - Armor + Gun smithing. Obviously there would be a "common pool selection of options" just as well a cosmetic Player Studio purchasable list of options.

Armor smithing would allow players to either purchase within their faction market (with certs/or SC) armor sidegrades (ammo harnesses, advanced shield capacitors, types of shielding, flak armor etc...)

Gun smithing, would allow players to take their "stock" guns, an modify them. I would have taken incentive from the Black Light Retribution approach, an basically let players unlock components with certs, then build their weapons from the receiver up. Much in the same fashion you could do with any real world rifle. Every option would have pro's an con's, yet would allow players a more robust approach to a firearm that suits their playstyle(s) for their kits.

5. Classes. More diversity as well multi-role classes. With some obvious cannots (ex LIght assault user with Sniper Rifle or Rocket launchers, same with recons). I would allow certification to expand on the options available to each class. Passive as well toggle able activation implants. (Those of PLanetside 1 memories, you could have up to 3 implants on one character) Just as well, some items may be class exclusive, others would be all class availability.

6. Logistical game, resources. I understand the move to the lattice system (I welcomed it some) I think a combination of Lattice/Adjacency would have worked far better. Lattice system for key facilities (Large/Major) an Hex adjacency for resource/tech facilities. As well introduce power supply for Lattice based facilities. This would create multiple battlefronts, as well keep eyes on key installations during any contention for a continent's complete control. Small teams could neutralize key facilities with a knocking out the power generator, other spec ops could operate behind lines to seize control of a key resource tech facilities. You would create more drive to make players work together in order to address the key elements in play to enact a win.

At the moment these are just some points that have been rolling round in my head since closed beta. I had voiced them before, until the forums had their original gameplay suggestion threads purged (among others). Feel free to add to, or comment. Hopefully constructive ones. See ya on the battlefield an good hunting. /salute.
    • Up x 1