Planetside 2 Tournament Controversy

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by kidRiot, Dec 16, 2014.

1. kidRiot

2. DarkJackal

A good saying I've come across is that 'A' people make other people into A's whereas 'B' people prefer to make others into C's and D's.

So the 'A' people do not mind, for example, hiring someone skill-wise better than themselves but also do not hide their talent under a bushel. After all, we are really playing one game to both improve our own individual skill as well as the overall skill as one team/faction/unit.
  3. HadesR

Interesting ....

As someone who has spent their life playing Real life Competitive sport ( Football / Soccer to the un-washed ) and also being part of the Management and organisation aspect of a team in the said sport, my sympathy does go out to those who spent the time and effort organizing and running the event. It's not easy in a lot of cases and you don't get much credit or thanks for it, but do it for the pure joy of the act.

As for the situation at hand ? I can't really comment on the individual case as I don't know enough about it to warrant doing so ..
    But in general with the " online " competitive scene and where it differs from a real life one is the general lack of rules that actually govern the participants and their conduct ( outside of cheating ) in how they interact with their piers.
    In a situation like that you are going to get kids, you are going to get immature people , you are going to get people who don't play well with others, you are going to get cheats, or those who bask in the anonymity of the internet, ego's and all ... You have to try and rise above it, to turn the other cheek, to be the better person or group.

Just a shame that those that organised it didn't get the ending they hoped for ... :(
  4. iller

Makes me think of that TotalBiscuit rant about the CSGO thing...

Though it's also an important reminder of just how unsecure SOE's netcode has ALWAYS been. We were having arguments about exactly this kind of controversy in DCUO's PvP more than a year before PS2 came out. I wouldn't be surprised if Packet Manipping was a regular thing in PS1 as well even before that. B/c it sure as hell is something we observed plenty of members of ...... notorious Outfits. taking advantage of in PS2 last year. Not just VS, but one or 2 br & kor TR outfits and I'm sure tons of 'murican kiddies among the NC were all doing it.

I don't think the average player really understands the pressure that some members of guilds are under to perform. Especially FPS clans. It's the same exact pressure you see professional athletes under and they're surrounded by a culture of "gain small sneaky advantages ANY WAY YOU CAN".

PS: Reliving the Tribes meta was pretty cool....But there's no higby way in heck it's the similar to packet manip
  5. DarkJackal

The average player will have the average person's opinion where if they want to consider things being fair they need to see people playing and their activities that actually define their skills. In every sport you see everything the person does and the majority of the questionable calls are from the referee or umpire's decisions. The only time the player comes into question if they do a shady move that's borderline (an extra dolphin kick in swimming like Cameron van der Burgh), play with unregulated and modified equipment (like a "special" baseball bat aka 'corked bat'), or they take specifically "performance enhancements" to physically enable them to be better and thus "cheat" and have an unfair competitive advantage over their competition (A-ROD or Lance Armstrong). IF MLG wants to be like all other professionally managed, operated, and supervised sports, then they need to establish clear rules and a fair place to play on where all equipment is inspected and the players given a fair level playing field where the audience can see everything the player is doing. Fair is fair and there shouldn't be short cuts to being fair.

However, we don't have to worry about that because MLG is not there (or e-sports in general) and it's all just speculation regarding someone's real skill with internet games as there is no audience to truly witness such skill with regulated equipment. Doing things online is a start but not a substitute to having the people there you can see and judge for yourself as in every other sport. None of this stuff is new but rather really old, so old I scratch my head as I am reminded of the good old Medal of Honor days and the blatant cheaters that went off on how skillful they were until they were actually caught. It is entertaining to watch some folks have an inflated ego forgetting that everyone here is a "regular person" who don't give the time or day to be frank with some folks here on forumside as a lot of it would sound down to earth so to speak.

SO I would say NO, they don't have that pressure from the regular audience because they're not present to judge technically. Therefore, any pressure to 'perform' is squarely on the individual's own thoughts and merits on his or her actions and conduct since none of this is technically as structured as real sports are managed, owned, and operated. It's still all online and still pretty anon after all so there isn't a literal physical presence you get than compared to just being on team speak. Sure, the pro-clans have a higher barrier to entry and there is money on the line but it doesn't replace that actual presence a real sport is witnessed as or has. That in a nutshell is the regular person's view as they won't entertain a theoretical notion of skill if they can't see the flesh and blood person perform the act or record the person doing that with a live audience.
  6. Frostiken

I'll just say that after nearly two decades of FPS multiplayer gaming, I have literally not one good thing to say about clans, competitive gaming, or competitive players. They're all horrible for everything and everyone involved.
    • Up x 1
  7. Xasapis

Ultimately this withdrawal will do more good than bad for this event. Perhaps some more solid foundations to begin with, both in terms of defined rules and how people perceive this event looking from the outside.

I mean, the very first thing that emanates a negative vibe, is the name of the event itself. Without hearing anything else about the event, bar the name, you know that:
    • Either people are casual about it so they put a joking name to describe it or,
    • This is the biggest collection of douches in an ego trip around PS2.
    Moving forward, there is nothing in the actual format of the event itself that speaks PS2. Half a squad with absolutely no vehicles or other PS2 assets in a deathmatch format is not PS2, it's an arena game with PS2 weapons. The only event that encompasses the spirit of the PS2 right now are the server smashes. Which brings me to my next point:

Why try and make official an event that has little to do with PS2, besides the weapons and the game engine? Well, the obvious answer is, because it is a fun thing to do. Well, what happens when something stops being fun? For whatever reason? Do you keep on participating, because people will call you quitter (as if you care anyway)?

It's the same mentality some BR100s (or veterans if you like) have when they slaughter sub BR10s and expect the BR10s to persist regardless of the unfun aspect of the experience. It doesn't work that way. People can tolerate so much abuse, after which they will find other avenues for their entertainment.

I applaud the organizers for setting up this event for the parties interested. The main problem I see is that it probably started more casually (thus the name of the event) and along the way it became way too serious for some people. We may even see a more critical approach to network throttling from SOE as well, which would be the ultimate contribution from this event to the actual live game.
    • Up x 1