Planetside 2 Performance guide (only settings that actually do something)

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Exchequer, Dec 4, 2012.

1. BenYeeHua

Great to hear that, and if you use RadeonPro(preview), you can has a smooth FPS rendering time.;)
  2. BFRxWerner

I've changed priority for Planetside 2 process (throught alt+ctrl+del and there are menues). That fixed my 1-5 seconds lag freezes.
  3. BenYeeHua

Please give Process Lasso a try, to prevent other process bite the PlanetSide 2 process resource.;)
  4. Kon

5. Jaybo H

Just wanted to mention this is wrong. Vsync will never cut fps UNLESS it renders OVER the refresh rate of your monitor. It automatically stays synced regardless when it is under the refresh rate.
  6. Irathi

Jaybo H, that is not correct, read below quote especially the text with bold and underline, to clarify better read this about Vsync:

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_9.html

"When VSync is enabled, what happens is that your graphics card is told to wait for your monitor to signal when it's ready for a new frame before supplying a single whole frame, each and every time. It can't race ahead, it can't just pump out lots of partially completed frames over old ones whenever it's ready - it has to provide a single whole frame to the monitor whenever the monitor says it's ready to refresh itself during VBI. The first noticeable impact is that your FPS becomes capped at a maximum equal to your current refresh rate. So if your refresh rate is 60Hz for example, your framerate can now only reach a maximum of 60FPS. By itself this isn't really a problem, since every monitor can do at least a 60Hz refresh rate at any resolution, and as we've discussed under the Frames Per Second section, if your system can produce 60FPS consistently in a game this should be more than enough FPS to provide smooth natural motion for virtually any type of game."

"There is however a more fundamental problem with enabling VSync, and that is it can significantly reduce your overall framerate, often dropping your FPS to exactly 50% of the refresh rate. This is a difficult concept to explain, but it just has to do with timing. When VSync is enabled, your graphics card becomes a slave to your monitor. If at any time your FPS falls just below your refresh rate, each frame starts taking your graphics card longer to draw than the time it takes for your monitor to refresh itself. So every 2nd refresh, your graphics card just misses completing a new whole frame in time. This means that both its primary and secondary frame buffers are filled, it has nowhere to put any new information, so it has to sit idle and wait for the next refresh to come around before it can unload its recently completed frame, and start work on a new one in the newly cleared secondary buffer. This results in exactly half the framerate of the refresh rate whenever your FPS falls below the refresh rate."

As I mentioned in my post there is a thing called Adaptive Vsync which as far as I know is a new Nvidia feature that not everyone has. In essence it turns vsync on/off when ever you drop below the 60 fps.

http://hardocp.com/article/2012/04/16/nvidia_adaptive_vsync_technology_review/

"Adaptive VSync is a smart VSync on option that has two goals, eliminate tearing, and eliminate the sudden stuttering and FPS drop. It eliminates the cons of VSync off and on, and allows the pros from both methods.

Adaptive VSync in essence dynamically changes between VSync on and off automatically to deliver no tearing above the refresh rate, yet no FPS drop. Quite simply, with Adaptive VSync VSync is turned on, capping the game to the refresh rate of your display. It will cap to 60 FPS on 60Hz displays, or 120 FPS on 120Hz displays. This eliminates tearing. Secondly, if the framerate drops below your refresh rate VSync shuts off and allows your framerate to run in real-time. Then, when the FPS gets back up to your refresh rate, VSync kicks on and keeps the image from tearing."

So conclusion:
    Vsync will drop to 30 fps if below 60fps when refresh is 60hz.
    Adaptive Vsync will turn on/off the original vsync feature when ever you drop below 60fps on a 60hz screen.

Triple buffering counters much of this problem rendering Vsync rather useless.
    • Up x 1
  7. BenYeeHua

Yes, so the windowed mode is the best, as dwm is Vsync without limit the FPS.:)
  8. Irathi

What is "dwm"?
  9. Jaybo H

Yeah, I figured you were discounting triple buffering - if you are experiencing a frame rate loss due to waiting for a refresh on your monitor, it won't make any damn difference because you can't actually see it - think about it - you aren't going to get an update to the current frame anyway because you are waiting on a refresh.

Naturally this happens at a ridiculous speed that most won't even notice, but yeah I use Adaptive.
  10. BenYeeHua

Desktop Window Manager, which is manage the windows and using vsync to prevent tearing.:)
    And this is why after some people disable it will getting input lag decrease in windowed mode.
    In windows 8 it can't disable with whatever ways.
  11. Irathi

I did not intentionally discount triple buffering, in my first post I called it "multisampling" - but my intention was to say triple buffering. My mistake there, I mixed up the terminology.

Again about vsync;
    • I have never said anything about cutting fps over the 60fps/60hz being a problem so why do you repeat this?
    • I said that when you have less than 60fps it will cut your fps in half if you have vsync enabled - this is true unless you have Adaptive Vsync.
    • Adaptive Vsync turns on/off Vsync depending on if you have higher or lower than 60 fps. This proves my point that Vsync should be turned off if you have less than 60fps.
    • Most people have less than 60 fps in PS2 and should therefore leave Vsync OFF unless they have adaptive Vsync. Even then it can make your gameplay feel "sluggish" - at least that is my personal experience with vsync.
    So NO I do not need to
    because I am perfectly aware how vsync works and that it
    if you have more frames per second than your refresh rate.

I am talking about LESS fps than Hz and NO adaptive Vsync available.
    Thank you.
  12. BenYeeHua

You can use RadeonPro(preview) to using DFC+adaptive Vsync+triple buffering, which showing smooth rendering time for it.:)
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4505681&postcount=164
  13. Jaybo H

What the heck man, you come off EXTREMELY defensive. I wasn't attacking you, why this attitude? Holy cow.
  14. Jaybo H

EDIT: servers are getting hit hard during the event - it double posted.
  15. Absoluth

Uhm, wouldn't editing in-game files lead to a possible ban? I mean, stuff like completely removing flora, something the common player wouldn't be able to do by in-game settings, would give you the upper-hand in terms of spotting the enemy.

Just asking, cuz i wanted to try it out. My fps varies from 10~25. Wanna try anything to raise that a bit. I enjoy sniping, and sometimes it's tricky with low fps.
  16. Iburnfurbies

I have this wonderful feeling that a few are gonna need this to get through to the hotfixes? *by wonderful i mean puke my own poo out of my mouth feeling
    • Up x 1
  17. Skidplate

Nope, you can make whatever changes to the UserOptions.ini file you need or care to. Settings in this file are excluded from the No Mods policy.

Official Post

Fragment at the end:
    And it makes sense. The file is un-encrypted plain text and updated dynamically by changes you make in game. Editing the file manually provides you access to settings they don't expose in the UI, as well as ability to customize the individual settings. The latter is essential for players with mid to low end rigs being able to make the game as playable as possible "for them".

Conversely, players with top end gear can increse beyond that provided in the UI for more candy in the same way.

I believe the engine also has maximum values it will allow for some settings, overriding or discarding values beyond them. This is thoery. I don't know it, but I do assume it.

The No Mods is geared toward actual content and execution modification. Since some totally legit mod techniques (graphics and UI injection or modification) have to use the same underlying techniques (because that's how Windows API works) as hacks / cheating, they chose to not even try and account for those at all. From code perspective that'd be extremely tedious, difficult and error prone, constantly, with undoubtetly accidental bans for folks that just wanted to improve the UI or visual appeal well beyond anything the game provides natively.
  18. Fairlightfire

Just thought I will add my experience with unparking cores of my i5 here. May also help those with i7, I think. It worked for me, I think it gave me about 5-10 fps in fights, maybe a little more.

Here's how I did it. First I used a Razor Game Booster, but then I ended up uninstalling it because I thought it wasn't good. Then I have used this software http://bitsum.com/about_cpu_core_parking.php and noticed that the "gaming profile" that was created by Game Booster is still there. So I was able to alter the Gaming Profile with the unparking program only and I wasn't worried about messing one of the profiles up. So now I have a "gaming profile" with cores unparked. So, you can do the same without the Game Booster, but you may also try with it so it will create another profile for you (that profile is a hidden profile, only visible through control panel for me, not via notebook's drivers).

Intel Core i5-2410M @ 2.30 Ghz
    RAM 6 GB
    GeForce GT 540M 2GB
    Windows 7 Home 64Bit
  19. Flukeman62

whenever i try to do that it comes up with access denied. so how did you do that?
  20. BenYeeHua

I can change it at here, you can also use Process Lasso to change it automatic too.:)
  21. Flukeman62

I am sorry but I don't understand what this part of your sentence means.