Planetside 2 Optimization Issues

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Jimster480, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Humanitarian

Hahaha.
  2. Eyeklops

Wow, neither McHurtz, or any of you know anything about how optimization works. Let me school you newbs:

If you want PS2 to run well on ALL PC's, get into your BIOS and set "chassis intrusion" to performance, "Wait state delay" to 0, and "Zero-bit Handoff" to negative 3, then compile the code. This will free up more IRQ's and properly align the DMA's. Some have also seen notable FPS increases after updating the port mapping for the mainboards back-end matrix so the CPU and RAM don't have any overlapping data tunnels, one of those tunnels get's squeezed or crossed and you'll create a major bottleneck. I can't believe you guys call yourselves software developers without knowing at least 13 of the 63 iterations of the Gordon-Mason performance index! Seriously, L2Code, or GTF0 of this topic.

P.S. Another common problem is the CPU heatsink nuts being too tight. This causes excessive "flattening" of the processors logical cores. That leads to a flow restriction of electrons through the silica substrate, slowing down H264 instruction execution. Always be sure your nuts are allowed to hang loose, but not swing too freely as a serious collision could damage the hardware.
    • Up x 2
  3. LordMondando

So your saying people should edit their bios settings and loosen their heatsinks?

Should I sprinkle some mineral water onto my motherboard too?
    • Up x 1
  4. algefacient

Hahaha! Thats fantastic, the postscript is possibly the best advice I've read on any forum...
    • Up x 1
  5. Eyeklops

Only if you have a Cyrix CPU.
  6. BuRnInICE

I'm running a Quad Core Duo 9400 that I o/c to 3.28ghz. 6gb Ram. GTX 570 1280MB. It runs all games out atm beautifully, except this one. There's definitely something weird going on here. I'm in the duo category. Please don't make me feel I need an i7 to play your game :( Keep working on it guys! Thanks. I've given lots of money already :)
  7. TheEvilBlight

VIA's are okay then? Or AMD Geodes?

Hai, I was trying to play planetside on my Intel Atom....
  8. Zakuak

^^ best post of the day!
  9. Morfildur

Wow, people argue over micro-optimization?

The biggest performance increases come from changing the algorithms, not wether you use SSE3 or 4 or write it for an old 8086...
  10. LordMondando

Well played, well played.

But still, I can't help but worry you might get someone taking this as srs. People are actually going out and buying i7's to play ps2 from a few threads i've seen.
    • Up x 1
  11. Legitsu

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLONO
  12. Legitsu

take a page from my book let the stupid people be stupid
  13. ohmikkie

I'm an app developer not a games developer. It's quite interesting reading the posts above. The question for me is why when I play this game I get an average of around 35FPS but I only have one hardware thread maxed out and my GPU is only at 70-80%; Surely a way to optimise the game is to make use of as many cores as possible?
    • Up x 1
  14. k3lt

SOE is still in 90's and they optimized it for 1 core.
    • Up x 2
  15. TheEvilBlight

I played SOE's Infantry in the 2000's...for a top-down low graphics game it was pretty fun at the time.

I wonder if anybody still plays it, lul
  16. DarkPerfection

Why are people still arguing in this thread, lol. It's been confirmed by SoE that performance issues are from incomplete optimization, if your so sure your processor should run this game just fine then wait for the optimization patch that they've said is coming to release. I fail to see where a bunch "software dev" and "programming experts" waving there e-dicks around is helping anyone.
    • Up x 1
  17. Shadowabl

18. Shadowabl

This is really Good :rolleyes:
    Sony Zzzzzzzzz....???
  19. Mynxxx

This really made me chuckle xD

I've got an i7 920 ( hyperthreaded, FYI ), GTX 570 & 6GB RAM. Getting 100-70 fps in normal circumstances, 50-60 around big bases and 30-40 in huge battles. Game seems to put ALOT of load on 1 logical core, some load on a second one and barely anything on the other 6 logical cores. I find 30-40 fps unplayable in shooters, really looking forward to changes they'll make related to performance.
  20. Jimster480

So its possible that they are using AVX instead? it would make more sense for the 2nd gen Core i and Bulldozer series because those both support AVX.