Planetside 2 launcher- update error

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Dallerian, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Reignman

You can use Avasts Silent/Gaming mode, which is what I did prior to this...debacle of a patch. Right click on the Avast icon in your task bar, and click on Silent/Gaming Mode.

As for my problems, I validated the game files through Steam, then through the launcher, and this is what I got:
    Checking game installation...
    Found 1 file(s) to update.
    Creating PlanetSide2.exe
    *Warning: Unable to write: C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/PlanetSide 2/PlanetSide2.exe (attempt 1)

This attempted 9 more times before I stopped it. Now I am uninstalling....Great Patch SOE....nice hot fix.
  2. Icemanthemyope2

3. Icemanthemyope2

for the last tech savy ones, can you be more specific. How exactly do we do this? What do we reinstall in a different folder and how do you do that?
  4. Cherltirce

I confirmed AVAST is deleting Planetside2.exe, if you are on silent/gaming mode, you wont notice but check file system shield and the last file it detected infected is the ps2 exe, im disabling file system shield and updating the game, ill try and put the exe on the exceptions list. Wish me luck :)
  5. Reignman

all you should have to do is update avast to the newest definition and program. I did and it launches just fine now.
  6. Posse

I updated it and still had the same problem, you have to add the planetside 2 folder to the Avast exceptions, and it will be fine.
  7. dking1981

Same here. This is happening with Avast anti-virus.
  8. Licanthrope

my anti-virus detected 3 files all planetside2.exepart, I didn't expect this from soe,. I have never had any problems updating before,
    • Up x 1
  9. Licanthrope

I tried that it didn't work....
  10. Licanthrope

I just disables avast 10 mins and upload works fine
  11. ComerEste87

Doing what Licanthrope said worked for me. Just in case anyone else wants to try it but doesn't know how, here's what you do if you have Avast:
    1. Right click on Avast in your task bar, usually bottom right.
    2. Click on User Interface.
    3. Click on Antivirus on the left side of the window.
    4. Click on File System Shield.
    5. Click Stop and select Stop for 10 minutes and press OK.
    6. Bring PS2 launcher back up and click Retry button or if you closed it just re-open it and it should finish like normal.
  12. ComerEste87

My above post is a temp fix, as a permanent fix you have to do steps 1-4 and then go to settings, then exclusions, then in the bottom empty space where you can type, copy/paste the path of the directory that PS2 is installed in and then click Add at the bottom.
  13. PsyPete

I have avast and had the same error.

I did this: Avast: Settings - Global Exclusions - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Planetside2 (exclude ps2 folder). - This helped me as well. Now updated and the game runs.

Thanks ComerEste87 !
    • Up x 1
  14. DisturbedSilver

I did what Licanthrope said and it worked fine: disable the Avast shields for 10 minutes, update, and reactivate the shields when the update is over.
  15. JrrT

i had the same problem , followed the steps to update an now when i launch the game i can get to character select an then login and it crashes and gives me the G12 error. reinstalled repatched and still same G12 error, never had a major problem all the time ive been playing till this patch. bit of a bummer really
  16. thatnanoguy

I have tried re installing the game to a different directory and it did not help. I refuse to allow an exception as I have not had to do that for this game, or any other game I play, yet. Will there be a fix?
  17. Nayot

This works. Thank you! :D
  18. pizo1

Ok,same thing happend to me,and avast reported suspicious malleware under Win32:Hobling...............so who can be 100% sure that this isnt some kind off infected file............im not installing nothing till i get confirmation from SOE that is only avast error.
    I dont trust noone anymore not even my mother.
  19. bwilson

The best way for SOE to prevent this from happening in the future is to release an MD5 checksum in the patchnotes for the major components in the patch (at least the .exes). If yours match it's a false positive.

//Edit
    That is to say that Sony is sure the build server has not been compromised. :)
  20. NCiceman

As most know by now, this is Avast identifying the PS2 exe as a virus, and archiving it, which is why the EXE disappears. If you are in silent mode, you won't get a notice from Avast, you just get the patch error.

The best workaround is to add Planetside2.exe to your Avast exlcusions list. Any other fix and it may still get flagged in future scans.

This happened back in May on the test server. I don't know what SOE did to fix it then, but they need to do it again and make the fix permanent this time. I have run the game twice since doing this, done extensive scans and checks, and no virus is detected, so 99% sure this is another false positive. Still waiting for more info from SOE.