PlanetSide 2 has stopped working crashes every 10-20 minutes

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Zergling, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Itorbeh

Bump!
    Again this has fixed my issue, please let me know how it goes for others!
  2. Eldorel

I would like to add myself to the list of people having this issue.

Win7 64bit
    8GB of ram, 6.5GB available for the game
    Nvidia graphics

As a note, the game appears to be consistently crashing just before it reaches 2GB of ram.
    When this happens, I still have 4gb of available memory, and the cpu usage is at less than 40%.
  3. AstroCat

Yes I've started to notice the outofmemory.txt file when I crash as well. This happens on 2 systems and a 680 and Titan, on either system. All check out ok with mem test, and stress tests, etc. Only PS2 has the random CTDs. And now it seems somehow related to a memory issue of some kind.
  4. Kalmageddon

Has anyone else tried this?
    I don't feel like being the guinea pig...
  5. AstroCat

I'll try it but I doubt this is causing the CTDs, especially since they create an outofmemory.txt file when it happens.
  6. Wardark

I bought a new computer with top of the line equipment in it, I get crash's on the machine... Played on my brothers pc (brand new also) game crash's as well on his also... so it is the game and not your PC guys... The pc's we purchased were from newegg and have no other installed software or unneeded hardware installed. Just fully updated drivers ect... Seems like no matter what PC this game runs on it is bound to crash. Even on brand spanking new ones.
    • Up x 1
  7. AstroCat

Yes, I agree with you. Our two systems crash and only in PS2, everything else rock solid, including every stress test we can throw at them. It's PS2, I wish SOE wold admit it, and fix it.
    • Up x 1
  8. AstroCat

And just so you know some of what I've already done.

I've run Memtest86 (latest version) and Windows Memory Diagnostic on both systems and no errors. I've also run them multiple times, and passes, all good, no errors.

I've also run Prime95 for several hours, both systems, no errors.
    I've also run 3dMark 11, mulitple times, no errors.
    Metro 2033 benchmark, 10 passes, everything on. No errors.
    Furmark for an hour. Multiple times. No errors.
    EVGA OC Scanner X for over an hour. Multiple times. No errors.

I've used every diagnostics, stress test and tool I know. No errors.
    Other games, no errors!

I've tried different drivers. No difference. I've tried messing around with a variety of Win 7 settings. No difference.
    I've made sure all firmware and drivers on everything are up to date. No difference.

This is for both systems. I've also switch cards in both systems and done all the above tests, and again no errors!

I've even called EVGA tech and talked to them. They also agree, not my systems but the game.

SOE, can I please have a fix now?
  9. Technologist

I manage about 2 hours between crashes. This just started 2 weeks ago. Have 32GB's of RAM GTX690 Video card.
  10. joshtb86

soe, any response to the 43 page long thread about the game crashing with no solution besides turning off gpu physx and during down audio sampling rate?
  11. warcode

12. Sparks

Yea did that yesterday, haven't crashed after that yet (altho I was only able to play for 30 mins after installing it). So seems somewhat improved on my end.
  13. Vecta0

The game is also freezing up for me at seemingly random intervals. Some days I can play for 6-7 hours without a crash but other days it just crashes over and over again. I think it might have something to do with how many players are currently online. Crashes seem more frequent in heavily populated areas where large-scale battles are raging. This is usually the case with issue (2) below.

Just to clarify the issues Im getting:
    1. PS2 freezes sometimes after I deploy (spawn points and hot drops). The game does not CTD, it simply stops responding. Alt-tab stops working. Only Ctrl-alt-del works and I have to kill the application from Task Manger. No error message, just a "Not responding" status on Task Manager.
    2. PS2 freezes AND my system locks up. This happens less frequently but is obviously really frustrating. Only a hard reset of the system fixes this.
    3. Strange lag occurs and then afterwards some strange texture artifacts appear and the game looks horribly broken. Missing and incorrect textures everywhere as well as vehicles and players floating about or moving rapidly in a "teleporting" fashion. Dont know how else to explain this. It just looks like the game physics engine breaks and soon after PS2 usually freezes or I just have to kill the application as it is obviously unplayable.

My system specs:
    i5 3570k 3.4GHz (stock)
    Radeon HD 7850 (catalyst 13.1)
    8GB memory @1600MHz
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit

The AMD catalyst drivers are far from perfect but Ive never seen so many problems in a game before. Usually some graphics problems, such as random texture artifact flashes, occur in some games (such as Guild Wars 2 for example) but nothing like this in PS2. So I dont think its the graphics drivers per se. I will update the catalyst drivers to the latest (13.4) anyway to see if there is an improvement. Also, AMD doesnt support PhysX as far as I know, so that cant be the problem can it?

Also, I cant seem to find any fault logs such as outofmemory.txt. That file does not exist in my game directory. The option to edit UserOptions.ini [Sound] section: SampleRate=44100 also does not exist in my config. Maybe the game client version is different somehow?

This looks to me like it might be a serious flaw in the game engine and hopefully my experiences will enlighten others having similar problems.

Edit: Validation of game assets succeeded with no errors. But the Steam process to validate local game cache looks to be out of sync with the in-game file verification system. This should probably be added as a bug ticket.
  14. Itzyab0i

If all the normal troubleshoot steps have been done, the only thing left to do is to make a dump file and analyze th reason for crashing
    This is explained at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931673.
    It will provide factual data why the appcrash happened. The SOE developers would then be able to determine the cause of the crashing.

An in depth explanation of how to analyze a dumpfile can be found on this Youtube link.
    So make a dump file and then start analyzing.
  15. Wardark

Update, I tried Nvdias new Nvidia Experience program and it solved my crashing problems permanently, seems the only thing it changed from my *previous* settings was the MOTION BLUR. http://www.geforce.com/drivers/geforce-experience I will be posting a sep threat about this also!

It also changed my field of view to 55, but I changed it back to 74, and that was okay, all high settings ect.. highest you can go and NVidia set render distance further than the game allowed me to so its a very very amazing optimizing program to use try it out and give me feedback please.
  16. dreamcast87

I'll try that program when i get home and report back tonite
  17. RileyRocks

Trying this in the next few minutes, we'll see....

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.40 GHz
    RAM: 8GB
    MB: Gigabyte 970A-D3
    PSU: 750W
    VC: 1x ASUS GTX 560 850MHz
    Nothing Overclocked all settings stock
  18. Geneaux

^THIS^

The only way to validate files properly for PS2 is through its own client. Steam file validator will remove up to 3gb worth of files. Cause: I believe it does this because those files are not found in the installer that it itself knows, thus is unknown. The installer is only as up to date as the last version of the game the day it was released via Steam. That's my theory, or I could be completely wrong lol.

My rig:
    Windows 7 Home Premium SP1(64-bit)
    i7-3770k @ 4.4Ghz
    ASRock Extreme 4 Motherboard
    8GB (2x4GB) GSkill DDR3-2133
    2x EVGA 4GB(2x2GB) GeForce GTX 680 SC2 SLI
    Creative Sound Blaster Titanium HD
  19. Axyl

Having the same issue here.
    It's been fine until the latest update (GU09 iirc) and now sporadic crashes to desktop with no error message other than "Planetside 2.exe has stopped working"

I've been using the Steam install of PS2 since day of release.

My Specs

Intel i5 2500k
    16Gb G.Skill 2133Mhz RAM
    MSI Nvidia Geforce GTX 680 2Gb GDDR5 Twin Frozr III
    120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD (for OS)
    2x2TB HDDs (Steam and Planetside 2 run from one of these)
    Win 7 x64

I *KNOW* it's not that I don't have enough RAM available (16Gb is WAY more than enough) and I have a 50Mb fibre optic Broadband connection (Virgin Media, here in the UK) so I know it's not a latency issue either (not that it would have been).

So it's nothing to do with x32, nothing to do with the amount of RAM. Nothing to do with the Non-Steam version of PS2 and my hardware is 100% fully operational and I have validated the game files twice and reinstalled once as well (just in case).

Still having the crashes. This was a real pain during the double XP weekend.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'm TR, on Miller - EU.
  20. CSPatton

I am getting this as well, I am running Win 7 64b, I72600k, 16 Gig of RAM, SoundBlaster Titanium and Titan's in SLi. Like many of you I have invested in this game and am very unhappy, I had a solid experience in BETA and hope that this will be made right soon as I am paying for a broken product. Companies are going to have to start delivering on the stability of their software if the consumer bill of rights for digital content moves forward. Until then all we can do is hope that Sony pays enough attention to these requests for help. Tired of seeing the community have to trouble shoot and fix problems. I enjoy this game, at least I do when it lets me.