Planetside 2 freeze on PC. The only two options is either log out of restart

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HotPepperDelivery, Aug 5, 2017.

1. HotPepperDelivery

i7 4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.24v

Max temp below 85C full load

ASUS Z97 Maximus Vii Hero

ASUS Strix GTX 970

Corsair Vengeance Red 32GB DDR3 1600mhz

EVGA G2 850 W

Planetside 2 freeze hard on stock and manual overclock. I can hear my team mates speaking, move my mouse, alt + tab, ctrl + alt + delete, able to hear the game sound, and open the task manager. But I can't end the freaking game from the task manager, because the game run on full screen mode and won't let me see the dam task manager even though it allowed me to switch to task manager on alt + tab mode. I also tried to close the game from alt + tab mode and the game still won't close for more than 5 minutes like WDF? The only two options left for me is either log out or restart my PC.

The hard freeze occurred when I mess with the maximum voice channel slide up and down 5 times, or try to buy daybreak cash after 4 hours of gameplay session. First, I thought it could be my manual overclock unstable, but not until I reset the BIOS settings back to default and try to reproduce the issue on stock CPU, and I was able to produce the same issue as already occurred on manual overclocking.

In addition, I played GTA 5 on manual overclocking i7 4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.24v for more than 5 hours and the game run fine no problem at all. Also, I did ran ASUS Realbench v25.4 for 8 hours, Prime95 V26.6 for 4 hours, and Aida64 (CPU, FPU, Cache, and System Memory check) for 2 hours, and Intel Extreme Tunning Utility stress test for 1 hour with no crash or freeze. Max temp is below 85C. My antivirus, nor firewall did not blocked Planetside 2 at all and validate the game files through planetside 2 client doesn't solve the problem.

If my manual overclock 4.5Ghz unstable, I should receive BSOD not able to do any of those stuff that I mentioned on the 1st paragraph which seems to me this is rather game freeze not my system freeze.
  2. HotPepperDelivery

3. LegendarySalmonSnake

When the game freezes and you have control panel open, hold alt + tab then repress tab and select the control panel then release alt. Repeat but select desktop this time. Now your toolbar should be visible. Hover your cursor over the control panel icon on your toolbar and the control panel should become visible. Use tab to select processes (if not by default) then use the arrow keys to navigate to ps2.exe or whatever and terminate it with delete key.

Can't help with the freezing but maybe this helps when it happens and you won't go hollow.
  4. TheSunlikeOne

What is your OS? If it happens to be win 7, then ctrl+alt+del -> Task manager. This way it will force your OS to show the TM. But most likely you are using win 10... it still has a lot of problems.

Also there is a slight chance that your useroptions. ini is messed up. Ask your friend you trust to send you his.
  5. LegendarySalmonSnake

OPs problem here is that the frozen full screen program blocks his mouse. The workaround I suggested works on windows 7, 8 and 10 at least for me but won't know if it helped OP until their game freezes again.
  6. LegendarySalmonSnake

*pokes OP*
  7. ObiVanuKenobi

Windows has this problem with some frozen fullscreen programs since XP or older.
    Just tick "always on top" in task manager options. With win 10 pressing ctrl+alt+del will open security menu and opening task manager from there will bring it to front no matter what. Win 10 has a lot of problems only if you don't know how to use a computer.

You don't need useroptions.ini from someone else, just delete it and launcher will download default.
  8. HotPepperDelivery

I open the task manager from ctrl + alt + delete, it allow me to click on the task manager. However, when I try to click on the task manager on alt + tab application switch mode, it doesn't let me view the task manager because PlanetSide 2 full screen blocking me from seeing the dam task manager.

Windows 10 Latest version

Unfortunately, in my case it doesn't. It still stay freeze after 5 minutes. I can open task manager from ctrl + alt + mode, but it doesn't let me view it in front when I click on it. Also, I can't see my desktop taskbar as well in this case.

I run this game from Steam, and I did validate the files from PlanetSide 2 launcher not Steam, and its said everything up-to-date. I also reinstalled this game twice, and the problem still there.
  9. AtckAtck

as for your taskmanager Problem, if you can see the taskbar, then you probably also can see the Little Icon in the lower right if the Screen. right click and set "always on top". It should be visible then.

And to your freezing. Planetside is known for having issues with overclocked cpus, sadly.
    Try running in stock mode, including ram xmp profiles. If freezing then happens too, it is not related to your overclock.

If so, ddu your graphics Driver and make a clean install, disable sound completely and try again if it freezes.
    Most Problems are Driver related, so either chipset, Video or Audio is the cause.
  10. HotPepperDelivery

Even my i7 4790k run at stock, I can produce the freeze issue as I had when i manual oc my CPU, and I can't see the taskbar either. Pressing Windows key doesn't bring up the menu at all. The only two thing that work is alt + tab and ctrl + alt + delete.

Also, for some reason I get " You have been disconnected from the server." message box out of nowhere and then I click " Okay " and after that a hard freeze hit on my face. I can get this freeze when I click " Get Daybreak Cash" as well.

Game is broken as **** that all I can think of. If my manual oc is not stable, than how the hell I can move my mouse, alt + tab mode, ctrl + alt + delete, able to listen music video in the background, able to hear my team mates speaking in the mic. This sounds like an app issue rather than a hardware issue.
  11. AtckAtck

Hey, i am not saying that your overclock is not stable, All I say is: PS2 is know to have issues when cpu's are overclocked.
    I overclock myself from time to time and i had oc Setting that seemed stable, would run any workload test flawlessly, would even run most games proberly. But then there where some game that always crashed, froze, bluescreened. And that was because of the oc.
    So you better rule out it being the cause.

Other than that i can only see you doing a "sfc /scannow" System check and like i aleady said ddu your driver and so on.
  12. HotPepperDelivery

I haven't done the DDU part, but I manage open Shadowplay and able to record it even the game is freezing in the background. Here is the raw footage of it:
  13. AtckAtck

Classic Application freeze... CPU at 0%.
    This could be pretty much everything.
    Did you take a look at the Windows Sytem Log? Is there any error logged for a crashing planetside?

From my gut Feeling i'd bet on a Driver still; most probably graphix Driver. Try the ddu. It only takes some minutes (+ the Driver reinstall.)

And like i already said, a check if Windows itself is "alright" with sfc probably wouldn't hurt. (Probably because i have seen it getting worse after a faulty repair wich sadly sometimes happens.)
    But you know... no guarantees when it Comes to Computers. ;-)
  14. HotPepperDelivery

How can I check that on System Long.
  15. HotPepperDelivery

Here is the pic result of sfc/scannow
    https://prnt.sc/gdfljn

http://imgur.com/EvbTCjS

And is this is the official site of DDU? http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Do I have to boot into safe mode to run this tool?
  16. Rydenan

Historically, Planetside has rarely ever crashed for me. However, in the last few weeks, I've had numerous hard freezes, where the game becomes completely unresponsive and alt+tab won't defocus it. I have to use ctrl+alt+del to open the task manager and kill the game process.
    It's becoming quite annoying.
  17. HotPepperDelivery

Does your issue similar to mine on the video post #12? You can open any application, but it won't let you view them, and you can't end PS2 application at all.
  18. AtckAtck

Yes that' the site if i remember correctly.
    No you do not Need save boot, i never did. It is only an Option if the program cannot remove something.
    sfc states your Windows is bascially OK, which is what we wanted to hear. So no "really" Basic Problems within Windows System files at least.

You can check Windows logs in the Event Manager, under the Windows section, then sytem or application.
    Filter for critial Problems. If something is logged you can see it there and it might give you a hint.
    IF something is logged, which might not be the case for a freezing app that doesn't really crash till the end.
  19. Private Drake

I am having the same issue with the Main Character Selection login menu sticking or freezing after I attempt to log out, can only Ctrl+Alt+Del and log out to solve it.

This bug has began occurring very recently, after the Oct/24/2017 patch as far as my system goes that is.

Running windows 10 no surprise there as I understand there are known issues but this is most inconvenient and undesired.

I'm not going into details i'll just mention my rig is 4k and 120fps capable and my connection is DSL should performance and quality matter.

Please look into it Daybreak or whoever if anyone cares Please and Thanks.
  20. LUCAGRABACR

Had the same issue, I solved it by opening a new desktop by pressing Windows Key + Tab (the option is in the bottom right corner) then running the task manager there to close Planetside 2 :)