PlanetSide 2 crash when exit game

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Blutark, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Foehammer

Been happening to me constantly ever since I came back to start up the game for a serious look a couple of weeks ago. I see the problem has existed for far too long.

I'm a professional IT QA'r. If this annoyance to customers existed for my company for this long, I'd fire myself. Shameful.

Win 7 Pro, 64 bit.
    16 GB RAM
    i7-3820 @ 3.60 GHz CPU
  2. Octiceps

The game's crashed upon exit for me since I started playing at the beginning of this year. It's simply astounding how something this widespread and well-known can be ignored for so long. I've never seen something like this from such a large software development company. It's completely unprecedented.
  3. BlackDove

Hey, sometimes it doesn't crash on exit... but that's really rare.
  4. Octiceps

Yeah for me it crashes 8 or 9 times out of 10. Another things I've recently noticed is that all my sounds are permanently lowered after the crash until I exit Steam, then they go back to normal.
  5. Hakov

Pay me with 200 SC when you figure it out.

It has something to do with "session timer". Crash on Exit + Corrupt Session Timer = around where the loop is infinite, causing the memory leak.

Check it out sometime, coder. Take care now.
  6. Octiceps

You should submit a job application to the PS2 team at SOE.
  7. Prestoned

Hmmph it's not hard to use google and error code Hakov is correct though. Also, I can a funny feeling about my low fps during big battles and the networking... i went from 12mbs to 60 mbs now i do not drop under 30 ever..... ever..... fix your netcode noobs..
  8. Conzb

same thing happened to me, already reported to ticket, still waiting for results to solve this
  9. bristolbulldog

I run a 42 meg line, and since getting away from virgin media I can run higher settings and do far better in fights

I'm running OLD hardware on some ultra settings. Phenom 955 @ 4.2 ghz 5870 and 8gb ram nothing special for sure!
  10. LightRider

I have almost never NOT had this problem. I've been playing since beta. It's sad to see it still exists.
  11. bwilson

The problem is most companies don't hire debuggers they hire developers, and rightfully so.
    This is an access denied when trying to read/write memory, unfortunately all of the crashes are using public symbols and probably most people aren't running the environment variables to point to the public symbols.

SOE send me a couple of the dumps and symbols for planetside*.exe and I'll get the stacks for you, you'll need to run a test machine with pageheap though if you want to find the problem.
    • Up x 2
  12. SWISZ

Problem since the start of this game release.
  13. TyphusAlGhoul

This is something you will have to live with since SOE does give a damn. I have this problem several times a day along with random crashes. This is even after turning off PhysX... >.<
  14. StealthKK

I think you meant "since" not sence. Sence isn't a word.
  15. Callaen

Every single game exit since one of the betas. 100% reproducible every exit for a year or so now? Pretty sad really.
  16. Halcyon

Happens every exit.

Why can't they fix this?
  17. S7rudL

PS2 is a 32bit application and is very heavy on the memory, 32bit apps. have a limit of 4GB ram on the 64bit systems and PS2 saturates it all.

When you try to log out, alt tab early in the game it works fine.
    After a while, when the game nearly runs out of memory it simply cant handle it anymore, it doesn't matter if you have 8GB of ram or 16GB, 64bit OSs do have some benefit over the 32bit ones.

They try to stuff to much of everything in it as a 32bit app. and its even not yet optimized, I think it will take some time and a lot of effort before all of this is perfectly sorted.

From the observation and by guessing, this is what I believe.
  18. Rottz77

ah, I've been wondering about this for awhile now, but your explanation makes sense. So if they made a 64bit client, then all would be fixed as far as this problem goes? I'm sure they know about it, wonder what their reasoning is for not making 64bit client, I'm sure they have one, and I'd like to hear it. New games like COD Ghosts/Battlefield4 are 64bit only,which is the way to go with massive online multiplayer games that hog RAM. Any Devs wanna fill us in on 32bit vs 64bit theories?
  19. S7rudL

64bit applications cannot be run on a 32bit OSs.

Use google to find out if its easier to make a 32bit or 64bit application, im to lazy and not really interested right now. :confused:
  20. Rottz77

duh, I figured most of us are running 64bit OS like windows 7 or 8. Are you saying you have this problem and have 32bit OS? If so, then the 32bit client and 4+GB RAM theory goes out the window. Cause most of us are running this 32bit client on 64bit OS, which I thought was the problem, and I guess we'll never get a Dev explain to us why they won't make 64bit client, cause obviously they could have done it by now if they wanted to, and this problem has been around since day 1 and never been fixed.