Planetside 2 Base/Map Designing

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SpyShadow28, Mar 16, 2014.

1. SpyShadow28

Non-Uniform is scaling a object by only using one axis.

Below is a example of the scaling problem.

CryEngine 3 Editor

Unreal Engine 4 Editor

The Crytek admin says they fixed it. Let me first list what I am using to export the models into the engine.

3D Max 2010
    Crytek export plugins for 3D Max 2010 only works with CryEngine Free SDK v3.4.5 (6666) RC Compiler.

It's possible that they fix the bug in a newer version of the RC Compiler. The version of 3D Max I am using won't work correctly with newer versions of the RC Compiler.

I did find a list of exporter plugins for 3D Max.

3ds Max 8 32 Bit CryExport8.dlu
    3ds Max 9 32 Bit CryExport9.dlu
    3ds Max 9 64 Bit CryExport9_64.dlu
    3ds Max 2008 32 Bit CryExport10.dlu
    3ds Max 2008 64 Bit CryExport10_64.dlu
    3ds Max 2009 32 Bit CryExport11.dlu
    3ds Max 2009 64 Bit CryExport11_64.dlu

*3ds Max 2010 32 Bit CryExport12.dlu
    *3ds Max 2010 64 Bit CryExport12_64.dlu

3ds Max 2011 32 Bit CryExport13.dlu
    3ds Max 2011 64 Bit CryExport13_64.dlu
    3ds Max 2012 32 Bit CryExport14.dlu
    3ds Max 2012 64 Bit CryExport14_64.dlu
    3ds Max 2013 32 Bit CryExport15.dlu
    3ds Max 2013 64 Bit CryExport15_64.dlu
    3ds Max 2014 32 Bit CryExport16.dlu
    3ds Max 2014 64 Bit CryExport16_64.dlu

I got to get a copy of one of the 3D Max versions between 2011-2014 in order to make use of the newer RC Compilers.

We will find out if the bug was in the RC Compiler when I try exporting the assets in a newer version of the RC Compiler with correct versions of 3D Max.
    • Up x 1
  2. Darthsebious

Glad to hear it SpyShadow! Glad to see they fixed the issue. :)

Any chance of you throwing up the Indar textures to use as materials for the next update? Also the prop they use to block doors and windows please. Maybe the Indar desert trees and road barracades as well..

Basically ALL THE THINGS... ;)
    • Up x 1
  3. SpyShadow28

Apparently Crytek says they fix the issue in newer versions. I am using the most recent versions of the editor but I am NOT using the most recent version of the RC Compiler. RC Compiler is used to output the model files that you guys use.

I just need a newer version of 3D Max for a test.

I been adding some new materials into the cryengine. Terrain materials kinda work the same way as SOE's terrain editor. Only one thing you have to remember is to pick the base color for that material. I included some jpeg images for now as reference images to help pick the correct color for that texture you use to paint on the terrain.

I will add the door blocker and window blockers in the next update and other stuff you asked for.

I just hope I can fix this prop scale problem first.
    • Up x 1
  4. libbmaster

BTW, where do I put the PS2 files now that I've downloaded them?

Can't wait to let the creativity flow...
  5. SpyShadow28

After you extract the ZIP file that contains the free cryengine sdk. You extract the planetside 2 asset files to a folder and simply merge the GameSDK folder together. Mostly everything in the download pack goes into the Root of the cryengine SDK.

Ok, I got a newer version of 3D Max, mainly 2012. I did a test model and the non-uniform scaling is still broken. I don't get how they say its fixed in recent versions and yet it does not work with the version I have.

I might try moving the project to unreal engine but I rather use the cryengine because it has a lot of cool features and is very close to the terrain editor that the planetside 2 devs use.

Unless you guys can build maps without using non uniform scaling. I believe I am exporting the model files correctly but if there own stuff in there demo map is doing the same bug, I think that would mean its a engine issue. Can you guys test this out on your editors.

place a object down in the level and type this in the console.

p_draw_helpers 1

That command will show the physics mesh associated with the object. Try to scale the object non-uniform and that means click on the select and scale tool, then clicking on the lock icon on the bottom and try to scale the object by only one axis and the proxy mesh will separate from the rendered object.

If it does it on your pc's, then I know its just not me.
    • Up x 1
  6. SpyShadow28

do you guys want me to just keep exporting models, textures, ect... for cryengine?

Hopefully we get lucky in the future and CryTek fix the scale problem. For now I am going to simply ignore it. I tried raising the issue to crytek.
  7. Darthsebious

Considering that we will never actually play these levels, the scaling physics mesh issue inst a massive problem. just means running around them could be an issue in some places.

I'd say keep exporting them for CE3 for the time being.
  8. libbmaster

Okay, I encountered the exact same problem you did.

When I attempt to scale only in the X direction, the physics model scaled "normal".

When attempting to scale in the other two directions, nothing happens to the physics mesh.

I will add to your thread on the cryengine forums.

Also... still not clear on how to get the objects into the editor. I fill a folder with the extracted PS2 stuff, and just drag and drop it into the folder labeled "gameSDK", right?
  9. Darthsebious

Extract the assets from the zip file. Inside here should be a editor.CFG file and a GameSDK folder. Copy the folder and then go to where ever you installed CryEngine. Go into the cryengine folder and you should see a folder called GameSDK. Paste over that folder with the one from the zip file.

Once you have done that, load up the editor. Once inside the editor, you can find the assets if you go the right side of the screen and click on Geom Entity. You should see a Planetside 2 folder in there. Drag and drop the asset name into your window and you are good to go. :)
    • Up x 1
  10. libbmaster

Never mind, got it!
  11. libbmaster

Oh no... none of my objects have textures! :eek: What might have caused them to all turn red?

At least I got them in though. :D
  12. SpyShadow28

Your suppose to merge the GameSDK Folder from the download to the one in your cryengine directory.

Planetside 2 Assets Folder -------------CryEngine Folder
    GameSDK Folder ------------------------------GameSDK Folder
    editor.cfg -------------------------------------------editor.cfg

hopefully this helps, if you need to re do something, you can delete the GameSDK folder and copy it over again.
    • Up x 1
  13. libbmaster

WOOOOOHOOOO

I got it working! Thank you so much for your help guys!

BTW, somebody replied to to your crytek thread: turns out by "newest versions" they meant "the one coming out in a month"!

Now I'm off to go nuts... :D
  14. libbmaster

Oh, shadow, I have a few priority extracts for you!

Could I get...

One of these? http://imgur.com/a/3eoXW (fourth picture down, the big door to the right)

And the big drop down ramp doors on the amp stations too?

That would be awesome!
  15. SpyShadow28

yah, I can add that in to the current sdk. Remember, you can also watch the work in progress video and when he has a object selected in the video, on the right hand side, it displays the path on where that object is located in the pack files.

I can only hope that is what the crytek dev is saying. I will be watching for a newer sdk version and I let ya all know when its available here and on the group.

Also if anyone wants to contact me for help or something, click here
    • Up x 1
  16. Darthsebious

Thought I'd give a quick update on the level I've been working on. It's slowly getting there. I've made it into a 3 point capture base (the concept felt like it needed three points) and I've started planning out the satellite bases as to give some idea as to which way the base would be attacked and justify the flow of the base.

Oh, and I also named it. Drum roll please.........................................................

Rooke Mechanical.

Feedback is always welcome. :)

http://imgur.com/a/fJiYV
    • Up x 1
  17. SpyShadow28

That's coming together pretty good. Can't wait to walk around it in the future when you upload the map file. Keep up the good work, tommorow I will export more models for you guys.
  18. libbmaster

Sweet lord Vanu, that looks awesome!

The layout is great, and I especially love the lift that you made!

All of my ideas seem to fall apart because I don't have non-uniform scaling...

EDIT: also, how did you get the little "pictures" above all your objects to disappear? They are useful for grabbing things while working, but the clutter up screen shots.
  19. IamDH

The Terran Republic dominance over auraxis
    • Up x 1
  20. Darthsebious

Cheers mate. So these levels aren't going to be playable from a game standpoint. I'd say just go ahead with what ever you want to scale and if the issue resolves itself with this new update from Crytek, we should be good to go.

Also, don't try to bite off more than you can chew. It's very easy to fall into the trap of "oh, this would be cool!" and then get totally lost in making something massive.

The little icons over your assets are turned off by pressing the white H button on the top right of the editor screen. The white I button turns the debug info on and off. And the third button, I have no idea what that one does. :)
    • Up x 1