Planetside 2 and Windows 8 compatibility issue

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Kryptonian, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Nasher

Don't just download that file and whack it in a folder. Get the proper dx redistributable from microsoft. Windows 8 does not come with the dx9 files, so you need to install them. There WILL be other missing.

Get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=8109
    • Up x 3
  2. Funaticlub

HERE, windows 8 and no problem with planetside2.
    Love windows 8 Boot time so fast, only metro sucks :s
    • Up x 1
  3. ArcaneGuardian

Off-topic, but if you're a System Admin, and you're saying things like "Fail" and you don't see how you HAVE to get nice and acquainted with EVERY windows OS, you're doing a poor job of being a System Admin.

Win 8 has nothing but benefits for gamers. (Better Task Manager readouts? Less resource use? Improved functionality? Seems like a no-brainer to me). Name me ONE thing that is ACTUALLY worse on Win 8 over 7.

As for "your company" having to spend money, are you planning on sticking with Win 7 forever then? Because they say the SAME THING every time ANY new OS comes out (Getting a company to change OSs is like pulling teeth. "Why change!? It costs money!" It'll always cost money!)

On-topic, glad we can help everyone out. Didn't Know about the Mumble Overlay, and just found out about the language problem. Will add those to my list of helpful self-diagnostics!

Great job guys, thanks for helping everyone out.
    • Up x 1
  4. Jhawker

Aaaaagh, the ignorance, the ignorance, half of the people replying to this thread just really do not deserve to share the air I breathe.

Tablet OS? It's faster and better as a PC OS than 7 ever was, Metro is a tiny, insignificant feature that is nothing more than a better version of the start menu, that is literally all it's there for. I find it hilarious people bragging about their Win7 boot times, ohh, a minute, you must feel special, I boot into W8 in 15 seconds tops.

On top of that everything runs far better and more efficiently, don't even get me started on all the other improvements like task manager and the like. But no, we're clearly morons for being early adopters and buying a "tablet OS" (The tablet OS is Windows 8 RT by the way, get your facts straight) as opposed to the mindless sheep who bash a superior OS because of METRO of all things. Heaven forbid Microsoft adds something better to replace that outdated old start menu, why don't we just go back to DOS while we're at it, having a graphical interface is clearly a stupid move and Microsoft should never have forced it onto us.

Props to those that actually provided something constructive to help the OP, the Win8 bashers, well, enjoy your far inferior Windows 7, I'd gladly deal with a technical hiccup with PS2 if it means I don't have to use that sluggish old outdated OS any more, let's hope Sony fixes the game for us in due course, now that the game is in full release there's no excuse.

Apologies for going off topic, just ignorant morons still bashing Win8 while having no idea about it in the slightest nearly a month after release is really starting to grate now.
    • Up x 1
  5. Trelawney

Calm down, calm down chaps! :) For those running Windows 8 (like myself) without any issues, I don't know if like me you are almost reluctant to say it's actually better than Windows 7, for fear of all the negative expert rhetoric. We're not trying to convince anyone we're just happy with it out of the box, not just faster boot times but lower memory overhead and smoother I/O - I also find 5-10% frame rate increase due to better memory management.

For those who actually post useful advice for those experiencing issue - thank you for taking the time and keeping it positive /kudos for contributing between the troll bait!

Every version of Windows has successively had detractors swearing that they will never leave the previous generation. New is always scary. Such short memories (or perhaps to young to remember). Early adopters like to experiment !

As for the theory of alternating OS being 'good ones', yes and you cure warts standing in a tub of yak-fat under a full moon. Seriously guys try to be positive and happy for those for whom it works and not just kick something you don't personally like where someone needs help. Ta :)
  6. Funaticlub

Windows 8 is much much better than windows 7 if something is not compatible with windows 8 it's the program's fault not being up-to-date...
    I love windows 8 because of how much faster it is...
    • Up x 1
  7. jaffycake

Tried Windows 8 and didn't look back. Everything opens faster, boot times are faster, the task manager is brilliant. I can open and mount ISO files without needing third party software, i can fresh install without losing all my files.

Honestly, windows 8 is freaking awesome, all my games feel much smoother and the desktop is more responsive. If i wasn't getting such good results with windows 8 i would simply swap back to windows 7.

The only thing that pissed me off was the metro UI, but i simply bought and installed star8 and i can now use the same start menu as windows 7.

I think most of the people bashing windows 8 here haven't actually used it properly. But that's normally what happens when something new comes out. People just hate on it wihtout really trying it properly.
    • Up x 1
  8. KeeperOfLenneth

Im sorry, was this the Microsoft forums? I was under the impression that this is a discussion board for Planetside 2, not windows 7, windows 8, or anything else. Can you Forum Moderators do your god damn jobs here and remove/warn these children about their posts that have NO contributing value to the topic at hand? It's flaming, pure and simple.

All of you whining and quibbling about windows 7 vs 8 are about as helpful as if someone calling the fire department because there is a fire in their house was told "Well you shouldn't have started a fire, *******!". You aren't contributing anything, and certainly aren't showing how smart you are with mixed facts and off-topic information, you're arguing an irreverent topic just shows you are quick to judge, that you are opinionated, and least of all when responses contain evidence to the latter: you are in fact, wrong. Do some research, the only thing that changed between 8 and 7 was the removal of all legacy code, and changing the shell interface to the kernel.

that aside....

I have windows 8 x64, I have had NO issues with any games yet, i had over a hundred programs installed when I upgraded and of those, the only program that did not work (and windows flat told me it wouldn't) was my old copy of Fraps. The OS is beautiful, it runs like a damn sports car, and to stay on topic- it has had no issue with any game i've played yet, including Skyrim/FNV which had known compatibility issues on windows 7 and vista (well after 6 months post-release).

My game is not launching and then throwing an error, it gets to about 37% on load and has the following error message:
    "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel." The same error occurred when i tried to click the tutorial videos in the launcher. I deduced that it was crashing on the opening video, so i began furiously clicking and tapping escape and sure enough, the game launched fine. Windows 8, x64 and it works FINE minus the lack of will to play any video. If its a proprietary video type your installer should teach the computer how to use it, if its not then its interacting with the OS in a strange way. Games that were in development 4+ years ago all work with windows 8, its not the consumer's fault. Just because they enjoy having the latest from an OS they trust (if you don't that's your issue), and when they upgrade, only to be accosted on the forums of a game company who was half-***** about their coding, rushing through a beta that amounted to not much more than a marketing push.

I've read through about 9 of these posts, and they're all the same thing. One guy with a problem, 40 people QQing about windows 8 vs 7, 3-4 people between each of those posts bickering back and forth then another person going "hey i have that issue too." This is no big surprise, SOE is hardly known for their customer support, but for craps sake guys, its launch week. Can somebody do their jobs? just for a little bit?
    • Up x 3
  9. Cenumis

Right click > properties > compatibility mode > windows XP = works for me.
    To all the haters, Windows 8 and the "Metro" design is here to stay, so once we're onto 9/10/11 etc and you're stuck on Win 7, don't come crying on why you can't use Paint.exe anymore.
  10. Rudedawg

Don't be a fool. Windows 8 is the most polished UI Microsoft have released. Just morons like you who havent got a clue bad mouth it based on the METRO app. Running Windows 8 here and the game runs fine.
    • Up x 1
  11. LewZephyr

Solved my issue by doing whats posted in this thread.
    Same issue occured in Beta.
    Win 8 Fix

Good luck.
  12. Serlo

Same problem here. Uninstalled MSI Afterburner and turned off programs for peripherals. I tried the DLL replacement to no effect.

I am running the Steam version on Win8. Not sure what else to try.
  13. G1n

no it is not the only game or piece of software having issues in win8, and you saying you write software, yet switching to new OS after release and complaining, tells me a lot.
  14. drunkendunc

OMG, there are so many children on this forum!
    Please leave the Windows 8 vs Windows 7 discussion for somewhere else, this is not the place for it - at all.

Anyway, I can confirm that I'm also having the same issue (Win 8 Pro) - all gaming controllers unplugged.
    If I put an old version of dinput8.dll in my PlanetSide2 directory, then the game no-longer crashes BUT all the interface strings are replaced with placeholder values like "#UI.Logout" etc, so that's a workable solution for me as you can imagine.
  15. Dan9388

Re installing Direct X after coming across the error with PS2 and windows 8 fixed it for me with no placeholder values like "#UI.Logout". Just follow this link http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35 and follow the install steps. You do not have to go back to win 7 or any older os it is still windows an there will always be a way to change things to make anything work.
  16. Jhawker

Doesn't work, just tells me a newer version is installed and refuses to do anything else
  17. Rockit

Right here. No joy? Install it in defaults.
  18. Madeguy27

My main problem for this was my wireless 360 controller was on,so I turned it off and it worked lol.Not sure why,But I really wanted to use that.
  19. Rockit

Did you turn it on after launching game?
  20. Rockit

Did you try turning it on later after game launched mate?